• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Answer from the NRA Dope Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few months ago I made several posts about the balls per pound bore measurement method. I wanted to take this step farther by asking how this ball is made. I told the NRA that I was interested in a time period of 18th and 19th century. The person would be a back woods gunsmith with little to NO formal education. The back woods gunsmiths would have limited measuring tools to work with. I was interested a 10 gauge or 10 ball barrel. I think the gunsmith would not be able to calculate the bore diameter but would use a chart supplied by the master gunsmith during the gunsmith's apprenticeship. The return letter was very interesting and I am attaching a copy with my personal information blacked out. I had seen barrels made at the gunsmith shop in Colonial Williamsburg using a mandrel and forge welding. The bore was enlarged using reamers. I think we can appreciate the precision in our modern guns. Like the letter said, it is a shot in the dark.

Enjoy
answer dope bag mark up 11-21-23.jpg

D.O.P.E.

Data On Previous Engagement

What a dumb name for a mail bag.
Great response when one doesn’t know about or understand something. The NRA’s American Rifleman has used the phrase “Dope Bag” at least since 1921, when Col. Townsend Whelen first titled his column with it. Even then, it had been in use for years, referring to a sack used by target shooters to hold ammunition and accessories on the firing line. “Sight dope” also was a traditional marksman’s term for sight adjustment information, while judging wind speed and direction was called “doping the wind.”

Data On Previous Engagements, also known as ‘D.O.P.E.’ is a collection of ballistic data that is useful when shooting targets at various distances. In tactical and PRS style matches, this information proves to be invaluable. It provides a quick reference chart in which to dial in elevation and windage. It removes the need for long-winded mathematical calculations (think Davenport Formula for example) that would rob valuable stage time.

1700881160942.png

Latest posts

Back