• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion era shooting bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Stewart

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I ran across this shooting bag in our local museum here in Siskiyou county California and thought some of you guys would appreciate it. Based on the condition of the leather I believe it is an authentic older bag. It appeared to have an accessory attached to the strap to hold percussion caps. Combined with the roller buckle and use of rivets I would say it is probably post 1850. It is constructed with a welt and has remnants of what appears to be brain tanned wang possibly for holding a powder measure. What do you all think? Pioneers, mostly gold miners, arrived in this area in the early 1850’s.
IMG_6110.jpeg
IMG_6111.jpeg
IMG_6112.jpeg

I ran across this shooting bag in our local museum here in Siskiyou county California and thought some of you guys would appreciate it. Based on the condition of the leather I believe it is an authentic older bag. It appeared to have an accessory attached to the strap to hold percussion caps. Combined with the roller buckle and use of rivets I would say it is probably post 1850. It is constructed with a welt and has remnants of what appears to be brain tanned wang possibly for holding a powder measure. What do you all think? Pioneers, mostly gold miners, arrived in this area in the early 1850’s. View attachment 271026View attachment 271029View attachment 271030
Hey Barry
Which museum?
My Dad is one of the Docents at the Museum in Weed CA.

Love it! Thanks for showing it!

I believe you have a real old-timer there. Considering the condition, I would agree that it is most likely post-1850. However, there was an article in (I think) The Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly about roller buckles, and if I remember correctly they documented a bunch of these in various sizes being brought to the Rocky Mountain rendezvous, 1840 and earlier. Mountain man culture, if you can call it that, was an equestrian society, and I expect they spent a lot of time in saddle and harness repair. Spare buckles must have been in demand.

As for the harness rivets, we had a discussion about those last year, and @Artificer documented their use well back into the 18th century, and possibly earlier (see Copper Saddle Rivets). So the harness rivets and the roller buckle could have potentially been used earlier, but all things considered, I would agree with you on the dating of this pouch.

Based on the fineness of the stitching and the overall symmetry, I think this pouch was made by a professional saddler or cordwainer, although the strap may have been replaced or repaired in the field. Old newspapers have ads by gunsmiths and gun dealers, and these frequently list "shot pouches" or "bullet pouches" along with powder flasks and horns, caps, and so forth.

Thanks also for pointing out the percussion cap holder. I've been paying attention to those lately, and the inventiveness shown by our pioneer forbears in making these is remarkable. I've not seen one like that before. I don't think I've seen a flap closure like the one on that pouch, either. So simple, but it did the job.

Thanks for showing this interesting antique!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I ran across this shooting bag in our local museum here in Siskiyou county California,
If the museum didn't offer provenace of the item in it's display then there is no way to tell.
The condition of the leather represented in your photo's can be replicated with "oven spray" in a 24hr process in just about anyones back yard.
It's a commonly used ageing process. Detailed instructions can be found in sections of this forum.

I ran across this shooting bag in our local museum here in Siskiyou county California and thought some of you guys would appreciate it. Based on the condition of the leather I believe it is an authentic older bag. It appeared to have an accessory attached to the strap to hold percussion caps. Combined with the roller buckle and use of rivets I would say it is probably post 1850. It is constructed with a welt and has remnants of what appears to be brain tanned wang possibly for holding a powder measure. What do you all think? Pioneers, mostly gold miners, arrived in this area in the early 1850’s. View attachment 271026View attachment 271029View attachment 271030

I little off topic but I have one similar. My wife relegated this to
range bag1.jpg
range bag2.jpg
the yard sale pile and I snatched it from the jaws of death. I COULD HAVE BOUGHT ONE FROM TOW FOR $160.00.SO Maybe Goodwill would be a good place to fined an old Purse. She still tells folks I stole it.LOL!

Back