• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would Boone have used a black buffalo powder horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
::I was thinking the other night 'bout horns.
I know that the domestic cattle were imported from europe and came over with the first settlers. In light of the fact that the land was black to the horizon with buffalo and many still east of the Mississippi, wouldn't that mean that there was a hell of alot more buffalo horns for powder than cattle horns?
If I pursue ( if, yea..)when I pursue my early 1700's longhunter persona, I was thinking that the black buffalo horn would be more period appropriate than a cattle horn.
Any thoughts?
And...
Since we know the indians used everything from the buffalo, would not a pair of muckluc-moccasin type of boot made from buffalo hide with the fur (hair?) kept on be toasty warm in winter?

Boone could have, but the several surviving horns CLAIMED to be Boone's are cow horns (Boone is known to have made several horns before his death to give to friends, but by then the Buffalo were gone east of the Miss.--on the other hand he then lived west of the river). Boone was fond of socks made from Buffalo wool by his wife.

:hmm: Hmm... Then I guess a persona like Boone or any of the other longhunters could well have used a buffalo horn.
There are some kits around and some available on e-bay.
This could be fun...
I haven't looked at all but I would bet that buffalo hide is pretty spendy.

I haven't looked at all but I would bet that buffalo hide is pretty spendy.
===========================================================
Well now that would depend on who you are LOL
I can get green hides for free to around 100.00 for a good bull. You may also try smooching up and becoming a favorite white man and then you may get a tanned one with the hair on for around 300.00 to 400.00 depending on the size and color.
If your lookin to make a powder horn outa a buff horn stay away from older bulls as they tend to broom out. also when scraping a buff horn you must scrape in the same direction all the time or you will raise the hair . I find buff horns to be hair like , resembling an antelopes when you start.

Just a quick word about a buffalo powder horn. When you order the horn try to do so by telephone and tell the people you want the horn for making a powder horn. Some times the horns are used for spoon, etc. Tell them you want a 90 degree bend and a tip that is thick enough to keep a spout plug and maybe do some carving. If you are not careful you may end up with a cheap, thin cow buffalo horn that is pretty straight and not much room to work.

Back