• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Possible discovery of Black Powder & a Fire Lance in Iceland - Independent of China

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
While it is well documented the Chinese were the 1st to use black powder in fireworks and then fire lances, Ian McCollum of the awesome YouTube video channel 'Forgotten Weapons' has been collaborating with Dr. Jackson Crawford, a researcher and leading expert in Norse history, language and lifestyle, etc. in a scientific strudy. The Dr. has found text in the early Norse poems containing the legend of "The Saga of Frederick 'Four' Fingers” in Iceland, that they believe detail the discovery of black powdah in Iceland between the 9th and 11th centuries, independent of the Chinese discovery. [Most interestingly, the Icelanders were quite prolific in writing down anything they could once they learned to write, being one of the 1st cultures to completely write, versus just the use of hyrogliphics. Their culture has a long history of passing down history from their past.]

Now ... are there any guesses for why the alleged inventor or discoverer might only have '4 fingers' left?????? Yes ... an accidental discharge, e.g.., KaBOOM, that is chronicled in the saga.

The alleged BP arm is called an atgeir or atgeirr, sometimes called a "mail-piercer" or "hewing-spear", which originally was a type of polearm [or halberd] in use in Viking Age Scandinavia and Norse colonies in both the British Isles and Iceland. The word is related to the Old Norse geirr, meaning spear. In some readings I've read to accompany this discovery it was called a 'fire lance', but to me it looks all the world like an early 'hand gonne', just a barrel strapped to a stock. I also read where historically it were cannons that were the 1st weapons to sieze the use of black powder for projectiles, but it was also interesting that they've learned that the Norse had no use for such siege weapons.

Anyways, here is but a capsule of what Ian has to say about it ... along with a picture of the atgeirr he had built and fired, along with a picture from one of the actual sages showing one in use. I added key emphasis that I thought was cool!
____________________________________________________________________________________

" ... I was privileged to be part of an original research project in collaboration with Dr. Jackson Crawford studying the early medieval origins of firearms in Europe. Studying manuscripts in the National Museum of Iceland, Dr. Crawford unearthed records of events that point to the accidental discovery of gunpowder during the Settlement Period on Iceland. Further study has revealed that the “atgeirr” references in some Icelandic sagas is, in fact, a long-forgotten early firearm. Consider, from Njal’s Saga:

“Hallgrímr had an atgeirr which he had ordered enchanted with dark magic, so that no weapon could kill him except for it. The enchantment also caused men to know right away when the weapon was used to kill someone, because the weapon would sing before it killed, so that it was heard far away. This was the great magic in the weapon.”

With the help of two craftsmen I recreated what we believe an atgeirr would have looked like, and took it out to the range. Lo and behold, it worked even better than we could have anticipated! It was truly an honor to be a part of this groundbreaking research."

For further info, please look up: "Viking Atgeirr: Reevaluating the Origins of European Firearms". Pretty amazing, huh?

Atgeirr1.jpg

Atgeirr2.jpg

Flint,
I should be somewhere else right now, but wanted to say Interesting!
In the Norse writings, Kennings are as you know used a great deal.
Ice of battle for instance usually means a sword. No time to go into this, but something that pierces or cuts was often a very trusty weapon.
Studying the kennings can be very time consuming!

best,
Rich.

Beware .... someone just PM'd me and said this might have been an April Fool's prank ... an elaborate one at that, and while the good Dr. Crawford is a recognized expert in Norse things, who knows ... maybe there was just enough truth in there to fool people?

If so ... then dayum I got taken down, LOL!

Ian is known for elaborate April 1st videos. Some are more obvious pranks than others. I would take this with a grain of salt until you get independent verification of the story.

Iceland was one of the few European sources of sulfur, so this one is far more convincing than the assault rifles used by the chinese in their 2066 invasion of Alaska.

Beware .... someone just PM'd me and said this might have been an April Fool's prank ... an elaborate one at that, and while the good Dr. Crawford is a recognized expert in Norse things, who knows ... maybe there was just enough truth in there to fool people?

If so ... then dayum I got taken down, LOL!
I watched the video Saturday and it took reading the comments for me to find out it was a joke! Definitely an interesting concept of a joke though! The end of the video, and the loading directly from a powder can if I recall correctly, made me question its veracity.

Good joke, had me interested, I get a chuckle
In my defense I saw it today and not on the first… though I probably wouldn’t have noticed

Reactions: TDM
There are plenty of clues....

1) Frederick 4-fingers.... Really?:doh: (this should have set off warning bells immediately)
2) the interview where both participants understand but don't speak the others language..... and no interpreter in sight.
3) the helmet
4) loading directly from the container--Ian knows better than that....
5) you never actually see him load a pebble as a projectile. If you observe closely he palms the pebble and tucks it in a back pocket.
6) the "cleared range" and dead sheep comments at the end.

But, its all in good fun. this video is better than the one where he tried to pass off a chunk of concrete with a handle as a Nazi issued weapon.... :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back