• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished my Flat Buffalo horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I finished my latest project of a powder horn, I had only planned to make one horn for the new Flintlock but couldn't leave well enough alone... Saw a flat horn and thought that would be pretty cool so I decided to give it a go, went to youtube saw some different styles of flat horns being made but they were all cow horns and I had Buffalo... Had the horn all prepped and could've just gone ahead and made a standard round horn but really wanted to see if I could make it work so I dug out the old vise and tried boiling water... Nope not hot enough for Buff, squished some but sprang back trying to re-heat for more squish... Folk said to heat it in oil as it gets much hotter than water but the Boss for some reason would not care for me using the turkey fryer to heat up the horn... So while hunting the thrift shops and such for a fry daddy I tried using a heat gun which actually worked fairly well but the horn started to get dry and crackly so I didn't push it any further though it was finally holding its shape somewhat... Finally found a small fryer and got it to the shape I wanted then got to work on the final shaping and such, fitted the butt plate from some Black walnut I had laying around for the last 30 years or so and made the front plug from the same chunk, a bit of walnut stain to seal it up and a few tacks just because I can and Ta-dah... Done... Figure I probably have about 20 hours or so into it with all the trial and error but learning what works and what don't is half the fun... Next up I think I may try something similar with some smaller cow horns and get a priming horn or 2 ready for Rendezvous trading...

2022_Buff_02_flat.jpg

2022_Buff_01_flat.jpg

2022_Buff_03_flat.jpg

2022_Buff_04_flat.jpg

2022_Buff_05_flat.jpg

Nothing wrong with your horn so do not take this harshly... but next time try using wooden pegs instead of the brass tacks to hold the plug in. File them off flat and finish, I think you will like them.

Again, nothing wrong with what you have done, flattening a horn takes some work.

Nothing wrong with your horn so do not take this harshly... but next time try using wooden pegs instead of the brass tacks to hold the plug in. File them off flat and finish, I think you will like them.

Again, nothing wrong with what you have done, flattening a horn takes some work.
I haven’t seen that before. Do you have any pictorial examples you could share?

Some months back there was a great article on heating horns in Muzzle Loader magazine. It discussed the temperature needed and lots of particulars.

No worries, and I have done wooden pegs on other projects... I was just happy this turned out so well, I'll be doing some more and give the pegs a shot... Working with buffalo seems a bit more challenging but I'm enjoying it and plan on doing several more in different configurations as time permits...

Some months back there was a great article on heating horns in Muzzle Loader magazine. It discussed the temperature needed and lots of particulars.
I'll have to look for that one, I've been doing a bit of research and it seems to be somewhere between 295-310 degree f. oil depending on the horn... I'm always looking to learn new tricks...

Here are three original horns and one, the paneled one is contemporary all the pins are either iron or wood finished flat.

Again nothing wrong with yours, I respect the work to flatten, but something to consider for your next one.

View attachment 131019
Those are beauties, the paneled one must have been done with a scraper... Love the scrimshaw, pretty sure I have zero talent with drawing though... I definitely see your point about the pinning, not so tacky...

Almost did brass tacks on my buffalo horn but went with wood instead. Was a little nervous of messing up the tacks.
Actually it wouldn't be a big deal to pop the tacks out and pop some wooden pins in... The holes are already drilled in the horn, just need to extend it into the wood a bit... and I like the way yours turned out... Looks great... This is my other one I made a little while ago and it fits so tight there are only 2 tiny metal pins in it... can't really see them in this pic though (top-n-bottom of the horn)
20220308_182304.jpg

Back