• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103
Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFriendOfLife

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey all. I want to make my first powder horn finally. I bought a buffalo horn, it's ready to go. I would love to make a flat horn, but can I make a flat horn from a buffalo horn? I was told it would be too thick. If I can, did they make flat buffalo horns back then? I would like to be authentic. And if it wouldn't work, I suppose a normal powder horn would be fine too. Thanks!

The problem with making a flattened buffalo horn is the internal ridges. The ridges run full-length of the cavity. To get a decent result, you almost have to remove these so the horn will flatten evenly. (There is often a similar problem with horns from range cattle.)

You can address the problem of thickness by doing as much shaping as possible before flattening the horn.

Good article in this month's Muzzle Loader magazine on making flat horns by T.C. Albert.

Take that back, it was about heating horns to fit wood plugs in the end of the horn, still was interesting article.

This is an older thread but I'm curious... How did the Buffalo horn flattening project turn out??? I have one I have prepped for finishing but thought it might be kinda cool to try flattening before I make an end plug for it... I've seen the cow horn ones but never buffalo...

Back