• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner and Colonial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been wondering - is the WR a reproduction of any original? Does anyone here have a reference to show that it is? Because I know of none. Perhaps Mr. Kibler just wanted to make a kit for hunters - one that would be easy to tote but still have some semblance to originals. This is why I opted for his Colonial, a rifle I know to be like those of a particular era.
There used to be more of a write up in the description but every time they "update" the website more and more info gets lost.

"Woodsrunner"

• Inspired by an original rifle, commonly referred to as the "Woodsrunner" which many believe to have been made in the valley in Virginia during the 1760s.

I dont know what the OP terms as ideal balance but I like the weight between my hands for hunting and general overall use. That is ideal balance to me. That said I prefer the Colonial model in .58 and the Woodsrunner in .54 to achieve that end.
If you are a paper puncher only, dropping in caliber size will take the weight forward which many offhand target shooters like.
I wasn't necessarily talking about physical balance. I meant does it look unbalanced like the barrel is too short for the rifle.

Its all about the individual.
I wasn't necessarily talking about physical balance. I meant does it look unbalanced like the barrel is too short for the rifle.
Oh no indeed. It is a svelte thing and the length follows with nice proportion IMO. Jim Kibler is one of the best at architecture, flow and proportion that I've ever encountered. He wouldn't let it come to a product if it didn't suit his eye.

Last edited:
I have built and shot both and they are super nice in every way with excellent accuracy. If you’re a larger younger man then you might prefer the colonial. If smaller older you might prefer the woodsrunner but you can’t go wrong with either. As far as all other aspects they’ve been covered by all other comments. Enjoy. They are a delight and very easy to put together

Okay, I'm sold. Now for the funds: if you guys really, really want me to have one, send cash. The plain maple will be fine.
Only if you promise a build thread…

BTW, looking at the lock inlet on the original it strikes me that the builder would have used hot melt glue to finish the job ala’ Thompson Center if he’d had it…

Latest posts

Back