• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished Woodsrunner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a .54 Woodsrunner in Maple that I have been putsing around with for a while and finally decided to finish it up yesterday. As just about everyone knows by now, assembly is a breeze, with really no challenges at all. I enjoyed doing some carving on it, but kept it rather simple and I like how it came out.
What I really like about this rifle is the lightness and slimness of it. The wrist is very comfortable for my hand and the barrel seems thinner and lighter than my Colonial .54 Kibler. The shorter barrel points well and I can aim and focus on the sights quite easily. The lock is really fast and smooth as one would expect from Kibler. It's the same size (6x1") lock as on the Colonial, and on this slimmer rifle it really has a nice, strong and prominent look.
I will be applying some paste wax on the stock in about month after the finish cures.
I think i will enjoy shooting and hunting deer this rifle.
Anyway, here are a few photos.
Nice job Bob, when I get my fusil finished I might spring for one myself. Did you brown the barrel or make it look aged or both! Either way the gun looks good!

Nice job Bob, when I get my fusil finished I might spring for one myself. Did you brown the barrel or make it look aged or both! Either way the gun looks good!
Hi Hartman/2nd line - Thanks. I browned the barrel after slightly rounding over the edges and standing it. I used the browning solution that Dixie Gun Works offers ( started using that cold browning solution over 30 years ago and happy with it). Sometimes I allow it to pit and look really old but not this time.

Hi Hartman/2nd line - Thanks. I browned the barrel after slightly rounding over the edges and standing it. I used the browning solution that Dixie Gun Works offers ( started using that cold browning solution over 30 years ago and happy with it). Sometimes I allow it to pit and look really old but not this time.

Attachments

• 0023F0BF-A966-4F09-963E-019D182F1C97.jpeg
    0023F0BF-A966-4F09-963E-019D182F1C97.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I love it! I am going to order a Kibler soon as my first kit. I just cannot decide between a mountain rifle and the Woodsrunner. Probably 45 (both options) or a 54 (just Woodsrunner). Have put both in the cart maybe ten times now….

Anyways your rifle looks awesome.

SR1
Tough decision; however the Woodsrunner is an earlier style rifle and can fit in to more scenarios, if that matters to you. I am also a re-enactor so it does to me.
I have two maple Colonials (one in .58 and a .54 I won from a Martin' s Station raffle). I also have a .54 cherry Woodsrunner on order. Had it come out first I probably would not have bought the .58 Colonial.
To me the mountain rifle is a later time period with a Chamber's cast lock and would be hard to modify with that long "lollypop" tang. Nice for hunting: however.
The Jim Kibler kits are great, especially his home engineered and produced English style flintlock. The .54 Andy Thomas Colonial is an accurate shooter, by the way.
I may look in to buying a smoothbore barrel for my .58 cal. Colonial.

Here's a .54 Woodsrunner in Maple that I have been putsing around with for a while and finally decided to finish it up yesterday. As just about everyone knows by now, assembly is a breeze, with really no challenges at all. I enjoyed doing some carving on it, but kept it rather simple and I like how it came out.
What I really like about this rifle is the lightness and slimness of it. The wrist is very comfortable for my hand and the barrel seems thinner and lighter than my Colonial .54 Kibler. The shorter barrel points well and I can aim and focus on the sights quite easily. The lock is really fast and smooth as one would expect from Kibler. It's the same size (6x1") lock as on the Colonial, and on this slimmer rifle it really has a nice, strong and prominent look.
I will be applying some paste wax on the stock in about month after the finish cures.
I think i will enjoy shooting and hunting deer this rifle.
Anyway, here are a few photos.
This looks fantastic. Congratulations.

Your rifle is beautiful. I'm considering building my first kit. Would you recommend the Woodsrunner as a first build? I do have experience working with wood and have done some basic gunsmithing on modern firearms. I also inherited my father's tools who was an accomplished woodworker. Thanks for any advice.

Your rifle is beautiful. I'm considering building my first kit. Would you recommend the Woodsrunner as a first build? I do have experience working with wood and have done some basic gunsmithing on modern firearms. I also inherited my father's tools who was an accomplished woodworker. Thanks for any advice.
Thank you and yes, this rifle kit would be perfect for a first build. You will be very pleased with it I bet.

Back