• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler - field observations?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Perfectly balanced" "well balanced"--makes the speaker sound like they know what they are talking about, eh? The problem, of course, is that H. M. Pope, Dan Bonillas, and Nash Buckingham all used terms like that and meant something different by it. Then you have to factor in differences in height, build, and conditioning . . . .

I've yet to see a Kibler rifle (let alone handle one). More than a month ago, I asked for some numbers: distance from the breech to rear sight, balance point for the .54 and .50 in inches measured from the trigger. Crickets. (I asked Kibler via email for the same information more than a year ago. No reply.) I'm guessing it is something most folks don't see as important.

As for traipsing around still-hunting with a heavy rifle, a lot depends on the shooter. I guided an elk hunter once who shot a .50 cal Hawken; the barrel was 1 1/8" by at least 38"--but he liked it, shot it well, and wanted to use it on what for him would probably be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt. I got a postcard from him the next year, saying he enjoyed the hunt, but was happy to get back to hunting with his Chambers English Sporting Rifle. If you're questioning the weight of Kibler's Colonial, maybe give something like Chambers ESR some consideration. It strikes me as a nearly-ideal dedicated hunting rifle for someone who likes to still-hunt.
You really should handle one and shoot it before opining on one . For handling /hiking/(LOADING) one , it's
apples and oranges ! Not even close /Ed

I hunted with only my Mark Silver (kit built) for 9 or so years straight and it always delivered the goods.
I know you are seeking advice on a Kibler, but thought I'd add this as the rifle is fairly solidly built, but in .58, never seemed heavy to me.
(42" barrel)
Shots from 20 yards to about 120, and that's maximum I would take. Used on mule deer and whitetails and lesser critters. Never. did shoot an elk with it, or moose.
Re weight, It depends what you do for a living. if you run a pen five days a week, a ten pound rifle may seem heavy, but if you run a shovel all week, the same gun will be no bother.
Mines well under ten pounds, and being a farmer I'm always lumping on something so my gun never felt heavy.
Awkward when dragging a deer though, like any other rifle with no sling!
I hunted in Longhunter duds, so I'd take my sash and tie it to my gun as a sling at times, and worn cross corners it stayed out the way pretty well.
Stay young cause that will change !/Ed

You really should handle one and shoot it before opining on one . For handling /hiking/(LOADING) one , it's
apples and oranges ! Not even close /Ed
<sigh>

Back on January 29, I commented on the problem of describing "perfect balance". I stated I'd sought but had been unable to obtain information pertaining to balance and rear sight placement on Kibler's rifles. I commented that the suitability of a heavy rifle for still-hunting depended on the shooter, gave an example, and suggested the OP might also want to consider another rifle (Chamber's English Sporting Rifle).

No where in that post did I comment or offer an opinion on Kibler's products, which seems to be what you're referring to in your post.

<sigh>

Back on January 29, I commented on the problem of describing "perfect balance". I stated I'd sought but had been unable to obtain information pertaining to balance and rear sight placement on Kibler's rifles. I commented that the suitability of a heavy rifle for still-hunting depended on the shooter, gave an example, and suggested the OP might also want to consider another rifle (Chamber's English Sporting Rifle).

No where in that post did I comment or offer an opinion on Kibler's products, which seems to be what you're referring to in your post.
I believe the OP inquired about the difference between the Colonial and the woodsman not your experience as you (have none) with a Kibler kit . Chambers are nice but start your own thread , but you are correct as you could not address the topic. And Kibler aside from building extra fine kits are recognized as one of the most informative suppliers on the market , I pick up the phone and always get a response and if I run into an issue most times watch the video's on boob tube and see it answered . Check your spam for response you say you didn't get (Sigh) respectfully Ed

Last edited:
Back