• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Withdrawal, need a fix please....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a builder, but enjoy certain build threads.
Desperately in need of @dave_person or @PathfinderNC to take us along on another build project.
Maybe some more details of the adventures of @davec2 ?
Hey Brokennock- well I am really glad that you enjoy my postings - am currently doing another Cherry stocked Kibler Colonial (.50 cal), but there’s not much special about that. I have another nice Pecatonica Fusil de Chasse also started. I have the urge to do another Powder Horn though. So many options. But looking forward to tomorrow’s first shooting of my newly finished French Type D Trade Gun. I cast 65 roundball so I’m ready!

Hi Brokennock,
Here you go. More about it later. It is English, obviously and a work in progress.
UHbXqwQ.jpg

tsPWh7H.jpg

qMrLpSH.jpg

sJV5E8v.jpg

LxtktDG.jpg

ofHT0ir.jpg

dave

Deleted after re-reading the OPs ask - The OP is asking for specific builders to post and I didn't want to hijack this thread.

Last edited:
Deleted after re-reading the OPs ask - The OP is asking for specific builders to post and I didn't want to hijack this thread.
Go for it.
I simply tried to single out exceptional builders who build guns that are as pc/hc as possible. And, seem to have a knack for a well written post.

As someone who doesn't build guns, amd has no desire or intention to, it takes quite a bit time keep me interested in a build post. If I can learn how to fix something by how someone builds something, it will hold my interest briefly. If I learn more of the gun's history, I'm interested.
And it is almost always interesting watching a truly skilled craftsman work regardless of the medium.

Hey Brokennock- well I am really glad that you enjoy my postings - am currently doing another Cherry stocked Kibler Colonial (.50 cal), but there’s not much special about that. I have another nice Pecatonica Fusil de Chasse also started. I have the urge to do another Powder Horn though. So many options. But looking forward to tomorrow’s first shooting of my newly finished French Type D Trade Gun. I cast 65 roundball so I’m ready!
Thanks for the reply. I look forward to pics of your current projects and the report on shooting your trade gun.
Horning is something else I haven't gotten into but really appreciate one that is done right. Maybe we will see some pics from your next in the Craftsman section? I don't make them but would be interested in posts dealing with problems encountered and details and tricks for dealing with tough spots,,, with pictures of course, lol.

Also, I do understand how much tome and work it takes to put together some of these topics/posts that folks like the ones I mentioned put together. My few photo tutorials are no where near that quality and seemed a lot of work.

Hats off to you guys who do it, and do it well.

Go for it.
I simply tried to single out exceptional builders who build guns that are as pc/hc as possible. And, seem to have a knack for a well written post.

As someone who doesn't build guns, amd has no desire or intention to, it takes quite a bit time keep me interested in a build post. If I can learn how to fix something by how someone builds something, it will hold my interest briefly. If I learn more of the gun's history, I'm interested.
And it is almost always interesting watching a truly skilled craftsman work regardless of the medium.
I wouldn't call myself "exceptional" but I am striving to hone my craft and build HC guns and I do share my builds on this forum mainly with the intent to gain feedback from more experienced builders and not to show off as I am just a humble student of the craft. I am fortunate that I have a mentor in my town that has been teaching me. I posted a Kibler SMR build and currently posting a Chambers PA Fowler. My next build will be based on a Moravian built from a blank.

I wouldn't call myself "exceptional" but I am striving to hone my craft and build HC guns and I do share my builds on this forum mainly with the intent to gain feedback from more experienced builders and not to show off as I am just a humble student of the craft. I am fortunate that I have a mentor in my town that has been teaching me. I posted a Kibler SMR build and currently posting a Chambers PA Fowler. My next build will be based on a Moravian built from a blank.
I just replied to your PA fowler thread.

My next build will be based on a Moravian built from a blank.
This should be very interesting.

Brokennock,

I am flattered to be mentioned in your original post. Work and some travel for family have put a dent in my time to work on my personal projects. However, I have been working on a scaled down rifle for my grandson that I have not posted here. The work has been on hold for a few months, and was sporadic even before that, but I will post what progress I have made to date.

Best,

David C

Hi,
This is a project I've wanted to get for a long time but always something else in the way. I decided to do it anyway. I am restocking a mid-18th century English rifle that I built some years ago and was never happy with. The stock had way too much drop. I had copied an original gun thinking it would fit well but after pairing down the stock it was apparent the drop at heel was too much and my cheek could never get a solid position on the stock. So, I am restocking it using a different design more closely inspired by the famous Turvey rifle in RCA #1. This gun will be a pleasure to shoot. It is difficult to make these early 18th century English rifles because the British did not make many and there are very few that have survived. In fact, I am aware of more early to mid 18th-century English rifles that are breech loading screw plug deer park rifles than more traditional muzzle loading designs. There are plenty of late 18th and early 19th century English rifles for study but they differ a lot from those made earlier in the century.

My rifle uses a 31" Rice Jaeger barrel in 62 caliber, a Chambers round-faced English lock, a "Dubbs" longrifle butt plate heavily modified by filing and welding, a modified steel early husk trigger guard from Chambers, steel pipes, and rear folding leaf Jaeger sight. Pretty much everything else is hand made. The lock plate was shortened by 1/4" and angled slightly down to the rear to get the wrist architecture right. I wish that Chambers lock was 5 5/8" long rather than 6" because it would be far more versatile. The stock is English walnut that I bought from Dave Rase. It was originally full fowler length and inlet by Dave for a 44" octagon/round fowler barrel. However, it had some problems. After sitting in my shop for a year it developed a horrendous twist and warp as well as a crack in the butt stock. It also had some old powder post beetle holes and a couple of poorly positioned knots. But nothing I cannot fix so I chose to use it for a short rifle instead, which solved the twist and warp issue and cracks, knots, and bettle holes were either cut away of stabilized, strengthened, and filled with Acra Glas. The yellow and orange colors you see are from water-based stains I use during whiskering that reveal scratches and rough spots more readily. None of the old color will remain when I am ready to stain the stock with alkanet root.

This rifle has some intricate inlays and silver wire work. All of the inlays were either cast and chiseled or cut from sheet silver.
2vU9XQA.jpg

9x9WyO5.jpg

TOJFD6W.jpg

bb504O5.jpg

The wire work is inspired by the fowler I previously built because this rifle is supposed to match the fowler somewhat as a garniture.
Atd0wnV.jpg

The wire work around the patchbox was inspired by a wheellock right made by John Bivins in the 1980s. I borrowed a lot from his work and modified it a little to fit this rifle.
5c1NI8h.jpg

This shows the sheet silver inlays glued to wood ready for engraving.
Raex9HH.jpg

The finished design.
MxW17UI.jpg

I have more wire work to do then clean up the barrel tang carving, finish the surface of the stock and patch box lid, stain and finish. I have a little engraving to do as well.

dave

Hi,
This is a project I've wanted to get for a long time but always something else in the way. I decided to do it anyway. I am restocking a mid-18th century English rifle that I built some years ago and was never happy with. The stock had way too much drop. I had copied an original gun thinking it would fit well but after pairing down the stock it was apparent the drop at heel was too much and my cheek could never get a solid position on the stock. So, I am restocking it using a different design more closely inspired by the famous Turvey rifle in RCA #1. This gun will be a pleasure to shoot. It is difficult to make these early 18th century English rifles because the British did not make many and there are very few that have survived. In fact, I am aware of more early to mid 18th-century English rifles that are breech loading screw plug deer park rifles than more traditional muzzle loading designs. There are plenty of late 18th and early 19th century English rifles for study but they differ a lot from those made earlier in the century.

My rifle uses a 31" Rice Jaeger barrel in 62 caliber, a Chambers round-faced English lock, a "Dubbs" longrifle butt plate heavily modified by filing and welding, a modified steel early husk trigger guard from Chambers, steel pipes, and rear folding leaf Jaeger sight. Pretty much everything else is hand made. The lock plate was shortened by 1/4" and angled slightly down to the rear to get the wrist architecture right. I wish that Chambers lock was 5 5/8" long rather than 6" because it would be far more versatile. The stock is English walnut that I bought from Dave Rase. It was originally full fowler length and inlet by Dave for a 44" octagon/round fowler barrel. However, it had some problems. After sitting in my shop for a year it developed a horrendous twist and warp as well as a crack in the butt stock. It also had some old powder post beetle holes and a couple of poorly positioned knots. But nothing I cannot fix so I chose to use it for a short rifle instead, which solved the twist and warp issue and cracks, knots, and bettle holes were either cut away of stabilized, strengthened, and filled with Acra Glas. The yellow and orange colors you see are from water-based stains I use during whiskering that reveal scratches and rough spots more readily. None of the old color will remain when I am ready to stain the stock with alkanet root.

This rifle has some intricate inlays and silver wire work. All of the inlays were either cast and chiseled or cut from sheet silver.
2vU9XQA.jpg

9x9WyO5.jpg

TOJFD6W.jpg

bb504O5.jpg

The wire work is inspired by the fowler I previously built because this rifle is supposed to match the fowler somewhat as a garniture.
Atd0wnV.jpg

The wire work around the patchbox was inspired by a wheellock right made by John Bivins in the 1980s. I borrowed a lot from his work and modified it a little to fit this rifle.
5c1NI8h.jpg

This shows the sheet silver inlays glued to wood ready for engraving.
Raex9HH.jpg

The finished design.
MxW17UI.jpg

I have more wire work to do then clean up the barrel tang carving, finish the surface of the stock and patch box lid, stain and finish. I have a little engraving to do as well.

dave
Astounding.....

Brokennock,

I am flattered to be mentioned in your original post. Work and some travel for family have put a dent in my time to work on my personal projects. However, I have been working on a scaled down rifle for my grandson that I have not posted here. The work has been on hold for a few months, and was sporadic even before that, but I will post what progress I have made to date.

Best,

David C
I understand completely.
You've mentioned the rifle for your grandson before. I look forward to your sharing it with us. Pretty sure I am not alone on that.

I sincerely hope that no one is hurt or offended that I didn't list them in my initial post. I drew a blank on a couple screen names,,,,, happens more than it should, both here and in regular life 😞.

Back