• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to BP with a 10 gauge and hopes of a turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am brand new to the forum here and I look forward to learning from you guys. I am going to give you all the details on what I'm working with and we can go from there, hopefully you all can help me and my buddy tag a Tom this year with this monstrosity of a 10 gauge.
The gun as I understand it began life as a Spanish SXS 10 gauge, regular smokeless powder breach loader. Apparently the gun had an issue with doubling and whether it was sold of or what it became a project gun for a fellow and was converted to a muzzle loading 10. My buddy has owned if for quite some time and has even killed a deer with it. He said his standard load is 15 00buck pellets and 120 grains of 2F.
What I'm looking for is a good start on working up a turkey load. I live about 45 min from Dixie Gun Works if any of you are familiar with that, it is a great store that caters to vintage firearms and they stocked me up with all the over powder, fiber wad, and over shot cards I need as well as a pound of 2F. I just ordered 22lbs of #6 nickel plated shot from Midway and another buddy of ours gave us a tin of #11 caps because those seem to be unobtanium at the moment. I will supply some pics of the gun and if you fellows have any advice or starting loads please let me know. I am really looking forward to hunting with this rig!

20240223_075201_HDR.jpg
20240223_075135_HDR.jpg
20240223_075105.jpg
20240223_075045.jpg
20240223_075038.jpg
20240223_075028.jpg
20240223_075021.jpg

I am brand new to the forum here and I look forward to learning from you guys. I am going to give you all the details on what I'm working with and we can go from there, hopefully you all can help me and my buddy tag a Tom this year with this monstrosity of a 10 gauge.
The gun as I understand it began life as a Spanish SXS 10 gauge, regular smokeless powder breach loader. Apparently the gun had an issue with doubling and whether it was sold of or what it became a project gun for a fellow and was converted to a muzzle loading 10. My buddy has owned if for quite some time and has even killed a deer with it. He said his standard load is 15 00buck pellets and 120 grains of 2F.
What I'm looking for is a good start on working up a turkey load. I live about 45 min from Dixie Gun Works if any of you are familiar with that, it is a great store that caters to vintage firearms and they stocked me up with all the over powder, fiber wad, and over shot cards I need as well as a pound of 2F. I just ordered 22lbs of #6 nickel plated shot from Midway and another buddy of ours gave us a tin of #11 caps because those seem to be unobtanium at the moment. I will supply some pics of the gun and if you fellows have any advice or starting loads please let me know. I am really looking forward to hunting with this rig!

So you need to check with TN Wildlife Resources Agency, and find out what is allowed for turkey, and you might also want to check on deer. Waterfowl the Feds regulate the max size at 10 gauge, but your state may limit it smaller for turkey, though likely not.

For example in my state, you couldn't use shot larger than #4, which in your case would be fine because you just bought #6 shot. I was able to get my hands on about five pounds of old #2 lead shot some years back, but that is limited for me for use on squirrels and rabbits, since I can't use it for waterfowl or turkey.

As for buckshot, some states allow it... some do not, for hunting. Maryland we cannot use buckshot for deer. Coyotes is a different matter.

Finally you want to check your patterning with the shot. Check out the "Sky Chief" load method found on this forum. I'd start with 3 drams of 2Fg powder, which is 80 grains, and two ounces of shot, at a paper target at 30 yards. If the pattern is good, then I'd do some tests by increasing the load by 10's, so try 90, 100, 110, and 120. See if any of the loads gives you any advantage as far as pattern. Just because that's the max sized bore allowed for waterfowl doesn't mean that a max setting on a commercially made powder measure is the right one for the gun.

Finally, When you find a balance between a good pattern and the shock to your shoulder, take a standard steel tuna can, empty, and hang it at 30 yards with the bottom facing you, and shoot that with your newly worked up load. See if the shot punches through the steel can bottom at that distance. If it doesn't, you need more powder.

LD

So you need to check with TN Wildlife Resources Agency, and find out what is allowed for turkey, and you might also want to check on deer. Waterfowl the Feds regulate the max size at 10 gauge, but your state may limit it smaller for turkey, though likely not.

For example in my state, you couldn't use shot larger than #4, which in your case would be fine because you just bought #6 shot. I was able to get my hands on about five pounds of old #2 lead shot some years back, but that is limited for me for use on squirrels and rabbits, since I can't use it for waterfowl or turkey.

As for buckshot, some states allow it... some do not, for hunting. Maryland we cannot use buckshot for deer. Coyotes is a different matter.

Finally you want to check your patterning with the shot. Check out the "Sky Chief" load method found on this forum. I'd start with 3 drams of 2Fg powder, which is 80 grains, and two ounces of shot, at a paper target at 30 yards. If the pattern is good, then I'd do some tests by increasing the load by 10's, so try 90, 100, 110, and 120. See if any of the loads gives you any advantage as far as pattern. Just because that's the max sized bore allowed for waterfowl doesn't mean that a max setting on a commercially made powder measure is the right one for the gun.

Finally, When you find a balance between a good pattern and the shock to your shoulder, take a standard steel tuna can, empty, and hang it at 30 yards with the bottom facing you, and shoot that with your newly worked up load. See if the shot punches through the steel can bottom at that distance. If it doesn't, you need more powder.

LD
Roger that! We are good to go on 10 gauge in Ky and #4 here is also the mix size for turkey. I was hoping to split the middle with the nickel coated #6. Hopefully the nickel coating gives me a little added penetration and also using #6 will give me a few more pellets. I am going to measure the inner diameter and see what the gun is choked at. With the barrel coming from a breach loading SXS 10 I'm gonna guess they are full/full which will work out nicely for this application. Does anyone use any sort of buffer to help get better patterns or is that kind of a waste of time with these type rigs?
Is there any particular cleaning formula that you all generally use for your BP equipment?

Roger that! We are good to go on 10 gauge in Ky and #4 here is also the mix size for turkey. I was hoping to split the middle with the nickel coated #6. Hopefully the nickel coating gives me a little added penetration and also using #6 will give me a few more pellets. I am going to measure the inner diameter and see what the gun is choked at. With the barrel coming from a breach loading SXS 10 I'm gonna guess they are full/full which will work out nicely for this application. Does anyone use any sort of buffer to help get better patterns or is that kind of a waste of time with these type rigs?
Is there any particular cleaning formula that you all generally use for your BP equipment?
AH well if it's choked , you can probably go as far away as 40 yards, and you could likely use 1.5 ounces of shot. Best to get 10 gauge, ½ - inch fiber wads. The nickel will help the shot retain roundness so you don't need more than the fiber. A lot of guys use either a greased wad on the powder or a dry wad, and then instead of an "overshot card" they use the same size wad soaked in cheap olive oil over top of the shot. As far as what works...., BP shotguns are always quirky. Even if they were made next to each other at the factory, it wouldn't be uncommon for them to like different combinations of powder, wad, and shot load to get the same results.

LD

Awesome. Thanks for the help. I am at the LGS right now, picked JP some cleaning supplies and spare nipples and such. My shot should arrive in the next couple days hopefully. I still need to track down a powder measurer and a good possibles bag.

SWEET GUN! Do try the skychief load. Not sure I missed you commenting on pattern BUT per Dave the skychief load works wonders, Is your shotgun choked at all or Cyl Cyl? And try different grades of powder, Brit here uses 4f and swears by it, my 20GS loves 1F and it does blow thru the tuna can and kicks WAYYY less.

Looks like the bore measure .730 on both barrels at the and. I'm guessing that is xtra full for a 10
I've been shooting full choked muzzleloading shotguns for over a decade. Not only at trap, but turkey as well.

For the choke guns I was taught to take the over shot wad, bend it on one quarter.. or 90°s, then place it over the muzzle and seat it. Often I use my teeth to bend it. You need a range rod or ramrod with a large tip

I've also done very well using #6 on turkey. I aim in the middle of the neck.
Good luck.

Don't expect both barrels to like the same load none of mine ever did. They are a real challenge to make work but when Old tom is flopping around on the ground the satisfaction can't be matched with a rem 870.

That is what I'm hoping for. I took a trip to Zimbabwe this summer, it had been a life long dream of mine. I am smitten terribly with the "romance" of Africa. I wanted to do it old school and hunt with a double rifle. There was no shortage of naysayers, don't take a double on your first hunt in africa, blah, blah, you all know how it goes. Long story short, I bought a double and I practiced like mad, I went to Zimbabwe with my double and had what was probably the best safari a person could hope for. I will attach a link to the hunt report if anyone wants to give it a read. The wife and I had a great time, so much so that we have booked another one for 2026. If only I could get some black powder into Zimbabwe.
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...sanga-special-with-dalton-york-safaris.76103/

Latest posts

Back