• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ketland Trade Pistol kit by MBS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, all the hardware is fitted on, with the side plate still needing to be inlet (Not sure if the thumb piece will go on).
Next up is to do a whole lot of stock shaping.

Attachments

• IMG_9548.jpeg
    IMG_9548.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9549.jpeg
    IMG_9549.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
All the parts have been fitted and the stock shaping is done. I applied an oil-based Walnut stain that I wiped off rather quickly ( just about a minute) which enhanced the wood a bit.
Then it hung in the hot sun for six or seven hours and then I began hand rubbing it with stiff paper towels ( the soft ones won’t work so well at polishing wood). Last night I burnished around the curved areas with a hickory dowel. The oil stain continued to cure overnight and again this morning another rub-down with stiff paper toweling. It is ready for a protective coat ( or three) of wiping varnish and then some paste wax to finish it up.

Attachments

• IMG_9585.jpeg
    IMG_9585.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The MBS Ketland Trade pistol kit is virtually done. The varnish will continue to cure for several weeks and then it will get a nice wax finish.
I will be shooting it in a few days!

Attachments

• IMG_9620.jpeg
    IMG_9620.jpeg
    771.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9622.jpeg
    IMG_9622.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9624.jpeg
    IMG_9624.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9623.jpeg
    IMG_9623.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Ketland 11.jpg
    Ketland 11.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Ketland 12.jpg
    Ketland 12.jpg
    735.4 KB · Views: 0
That’s fabulous work, Bob. The pistol looks terrific!

I actually like that sideplate a lot better than the fancy one. I realize that’s just a matter of personal taste, but I think you made the right choice.

It all looks great!

Notchy Bob

That’s fabulous work, Bob. The pistol looks terrific!

I actually like that sideplate a lot better than the fancy one. I realize that’s just a matter of personal taste, but I think you made the right choice.

It all looks great!

Notchy Bob
Thanks Notchy Bob.
The sideplate decision took some time and experimenting. I didnt want the orifginal (it didnt fit well and even though it was the correct style I just didnt want it on this gun). The next one fit well and was balanced but it just seemed too cartoonish.
This third one is just a standard side plate that seemed fine for this piece I thought.

Back