• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ketland Trade Pistol kit by MBS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received the Ketland Trade Pistol kit from Muzzleloader Builder’s Supply yesterday and the kit is very good.
My initial impression is that the lock and barrel look like they will align very well which is nice 👏
The lock is from L&R (Late American Flintlock) and feels good and strong.
The brass parts are nicely cast and sideplate is really simple, cut brass, as it is intended to be. (Ryan included a whole bunch of extra screws that will certainly come in handy for future projects as well!)
With lots of wood to work with, I think I will maybe deviate from the basic Ketland Trade Pistol design and try to do some nice tang and lock moldings, forestock and rear entry pipe carving , use another style of sideplate as well a thumb piece(?) and give it a more “generic” pistol feel.
At any rate, it looks like it will be a fun project for the next few weeks as time permits.

Attachments

• IMG_9472.jpeg
    IMG_9472.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
I polished the lock up a bit last night and today spent about three hours to fully inlet it into the precarved mortise. Because the lock location is established in a pre-carve, I work on that first. The lock now fits well and the parts move freely and the sear trips clean so this step is done.
Laying the barrel lined-up at the breech, it looks like it will not need any shimming forward or reset back into the stock for touch hole and pan alignment ( I drill the touch hole about 1/8” forward of the breech plug surface,) Inletting the barrel will be next up, so we’ll see how it goes

Attachments

• IMG_9483.jpeg
    IMG_9483.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Today I sweltered in the shop but got my task done of shaping the pistol grip and installing the butt cap. I am happy with it so far.
I decided it's not going to a Ketland Trade Pistol but something rather generic, which is more fun for me to make.

Attachments

• IMG_9507.jpg
    IMG_9507.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9508.jpg
    IMG_9508.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9509.jpg
    IMG_9509.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9512.jpg
    IMG_9512.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9514.jpg
    IMG_9514.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 0
I have been considering sideplate options for the pistol since I didn't want the one that was used on the Ketland trade pistol. Looking at various workable options, and wanting one somewhat decorative (but not as chiseled as the one on my Sparrow pistol) I chose one that was used on a British Light Dragoon (*gasp*). It would fit but something didn't look right. After mounting it I thought about just cutting off the flaming tail, but then it wouldn't look right to me. Putting it aside and then looking at it again this morning I thought that a simple curl on the tail would give it much more balance and less busy. So, into the shop I went and after about an hour and a half, this is what I came up with.
I like it.

Attachments

• sideplate 3.jpg
    sideplate 3.jpg
    779 KB · Views: 0
  • sideplate 4.jpg
    sideplate 4.jpg
    690.1 KB · Views: 0
It’s getting time to add some more hardware but I have much more forestock work to do. With all the hardware on I think bringing more shape to the stock will flow well.
The Rear Entry pipe and front pipe will go next, before mounting the trigger guard. And there is a lot wood to remove all around the forestock before inletting the pipes.
Honestly though, mounting the trigger guard is my least favorite thing to do. But it’s getting easier.

Attachments

• IMG_9531.jpeg
    IMG_9531.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
For reference on shaping the stock, particularly the lock panels and grip, I am looking at my original 18th Century pistol, also about 62 cal. (Origin unknown).
I am really surprised at the thinness of the handle, especially for a large caliber pistol. The grip is not round but oval in cross section- higher than wide, and extremely comfortable to hold. It is great to have something original to learn with.

Attachments

• IMG_9534.jpeg
    IMG_9534.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
For reference on shaping the stock, particularly the lock panels and grip, I am looking at my original 18th Century pistol, also about 62 cal. (Origin unknown).
I am really surprised at the thinness of the handle, especially for a large caliber pistol. The grip is not round but oval in cross section- higher than wide, and extremely comfortable to hold. It is great to have something original to learn with.
Is it just my eyes, or an illusion created by the angles of the frizzen spring, or is the lock on the original angled down at the front quite a bit?

Very, very nice original, and I always enjoy your build posts. Thank you for sharing.

Is it just my eyes, or an illusion created by the angles of the frizzen spring, or is the lock on the original angled down at the front quite a bit?

Very, very nice original, and I always enjoy your build posts. Thank you for sharing.
Hi Brokennock, you are right about the downward tilt of the front of the lock. This design might be have been done to accommodate a big breech area of the barrel?

Attachments

• IMG_9538.jpeg
    IMG_9538.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Back