• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Winchester #11 Percussion Cap dimension needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I cannot find the overall length dimension for the above subject primer ..if you have some Winchester #11's and have the time and have a caliper to measure the overall height I would appreciate it ..the height will range from :
0.152 to around 0.165
I am hoping Winchester is on the short end around the 0.152 height as there are a ton of original and reproduction revolvers that only a Remington (0.152) will fit on

Desperate am I ..yes I have 61 Remingtom #11 and 400 RWS 1075 (#11) that I cannot use
Anyone who has Remington #11's but prefers the RWS ..give me a shout

Thanks
Bear

You could drill a hole to the depth you would like to have in a steel plate.Drop the cap in and file it down. There are cheap diamond files fine enough to do this. Even a steel nail file could work. Drill several holes and do a bunch all at once. I may give this a try myself to test the concept .

81188357_10216066957011689_8354863257999114240_n.jpg

I was under the impression that Win caps are made by CCI and are the same.

I read that years ago and I have no idea if it's true.

I was under the impression that Win caps are made by CCI and are the same.

I read that years ago and I have no idea if it's true.
Well I've been a long gun BP guy for 40 years and switched to the 209 system to use for big game in bad conditions out west and have not kept up with percussion caps until I bought a little 3rd Gen Colt branded 1849 Pocket model which if you load the cylinder on the gun the short Remington #11 is the only one to do it ..otherwise to use other brands you will have to stuff the cylinder OFF the frame ..

I don't think much of the off the gun because it has you handling a bad situation (in my new to revolvers opinion)

Even if you stuff it first ..then put the caps ..then put it in/on the frame you are handling a live situation ..which might be marginally OK at the kitchen with a bunch of padding under your work space but that process would be dicey in the field ...but that's just me ..

So what you are saying I have not heard but it makes lots of sense/cents on Winchester's part to sub it out to CCI

Thanks
Bear

I have used the win mag #11 They fit all my #11 nipples and perform just fine. I will measure one and post here later.

I have used the win mag #11 They fit all my #11 nipples and perform just fine. I will measure one and post here later.
Bang a measurement would be nice ..the problem is overall length and the resulting distance from the backing plate to the nipple ..a CCI will not even come close to starting onto the nipple because it bottoms out on the frame even with the primer station indent in the frame

Thanks
Bear

I cannot find the overall length dimension for the above subject primer ..if you have some Winchester #11's and have the time and have a caliper to measure the overall height I would appreciate it ..the height will range from :
0.152 to around 0.165
I am hoping Winchester is on the short end around the 0.152 height as there are a ton of original and reproduction revolvers that only a Remington (0.152) will fit on

Desperate am I ..yes I have 61 Remingtom #11 and 400 RWS 1075 (#11) that I cannot use
Anyone who has Remington #11's but prefers the RWS ..give me a shout

Thanks
Bear
I have been trying to find out the specs. for the Winchester #11s as well. My Colt Signature 1851 Navy takes Remington 10s and my Pietta 1861 Army with Slixshot nipples uses CCI 11s. I found some Winchester Magnum #11s and didn't want to buy them until I knew they would fit my revolvers. I called CCI and asked if they make the #11 caps for Winchester and they said that they didn't make any caps for them. So I then called Winchester and the guy didn't seem to know anything about percussion caps. He told me they don't make any caps for revolvers and the #11s I was asking about are for muskets. Go figure. At that point I didn't see advantage to talking with him any further. If you would like to try your luck with Winchester their number is 800-356-2666.

Attachments

• 1620144316094.png
    1620144316094.png
    407 bytes · Views: 48
I just received this email from CCI.
"Winchester makes their own products in this regard and with that they will have the same dimensions for fit as one another as a #10 cap is still a #10 cap".
Thanks,
Cody B./Technical Service Rep.
CCI/Speer/Alliant
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
(866)286-7436

Latest posts

Back