• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RWS 1075 primers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am I the only person having trouble with RWS #11 primers. More often than not, I have to drop the hammer twice for ignition. CCI, Remington, Winchester, no issue, but can’t find them anymore. However I was able buy 2000 RWS and I’m not looking forward to using them up.

Sounds like a seating issue. May need to either a nipple made for that cap or dress the nipple you have.

1075s are right in the middle of all the caps on the market as far as height and inside diameter goes so that shouldn't be an issue. Their #55s (1055) are about 1mm (.039") taller with a slightly smaller inside diameter than most caps.

Attachments

• Percussion Caps.png
    Percussion Caps.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
I had a similar issue with the 1075s, so I chucked the nipple in my drill press and ran a fine toothed file along the taper to remove some metal. Tried it with a cap to see if it seated all the way to the bottom. Once i did that and re-installed the nipple I no longer had any FTF on the first hammer blow. I'm sure it will work for you too.

I had a similar issue with the 1075s, so I chucked the nipple in my drill press and ran a fine toothed file along the taper to remove some metal. Tried it with a cap to see if it seated all the way to the bottom. Once i did that and re-installed the nipple I no longer had any FTF on the first hammer blow. I'm sure it will work for you too.
This^^

The same happens for the same reason with Scheutzen musket caps. A bit of polish on the nipple and no more problems

I have resharpened many nipples this way to get better firing on the first hit,Once on a trail walk a member of our group had problems, I removed her nipple (from the gun not her) and "sharpened" it on a piece of sand stone by sticking the nipple into a small stick and rubbing it against the stone like you would a fire bow.She had no more problems.

In the Scarecrow’s voice, “If I only had a lathe”. But thanks, I’ll figure something out. Sounds like it’s a common issue.

In the Scarecrow’s voice, “If I only had a lathe”. But thanks, I’ll figure something out. Sounds like it’s a common issue.
Put em in a hand drill. Does not have to be a press. Guys use a drill press to keep both hands free. Portable drill will work just takes one finger to make the drill go round. Done em both ways. Press and hand drill. Works.

Am I the only person having trouble with RWS #11 primers. More often than not, I have to drop the hammer twice for ignition. CCI, Remington, Winchester, no issue, but can’t find them anymore. However I was able buy 2000 RWS and I’m not looking forward to using them up.
You don’t mention if you are using black or a substitute, but it does sound like your nipple is the issue. I found a deal on #10 caps and bought them. No problem with ignition if I remember to seat them firmly with thumb pressure.

I had exactly the same issue. Didn't know that RWS caps were slightly smaller until reading here. Knowledge is wonderful.

I've had the same issue with those. Follow advice you've been given. Chuck nipple in your drill a start polishing. Fix it right up!

I have fought RWS caps to a standstill. It only took about 700 caps and a lot of adult language to get to this present level of success.
Finally I have gotten to a little over 90% first strike ignition by using an original heavy main spring. Those caps are hard and need a good heavy lick with the hammer.
My 1861 Colt is equipped with Slixshot nipples and I am not about to go mucking about with those expansive cones that seem to be made from unobtainium.
For plinking 90% is good enough. If I want 100% ignition my dwindling supply of Remington #10's get used (very seldom). Also it will help overcoming a flinch when you "dry fire" that first strike.
Using a tip from this forum I "floss" each cone with a pipe cleaner between loads. 1075 caps are HOT but make a lot of fouling it seems to me.
Some time ago I posted either here or on the rifle section the entire cap and nipple table table compiled by Mako.
something like "Every thing you wanted to know about caps" or like that. Look at back pages
Play safe out there
Hit Center
Bunk

I have 100% ignition with RWS 1075 caps on my .45 CVA Kentucky. However, they don't fit my new shotgun well and ignition is spotty. I am going to try the nipple shaping trick mentioned in this thread on those nipples.

I had ignition troubles with my 1861 Pietta .36 caliber, too, but the slix shot nipples seem to fix that. Now the same caps work well on my rifle and revolver.

Back