• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wild blackberries

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have them in Kentucky. I like them two ways, the first just like when I was a kid”¦put blackberries, milk and sugar in a bowl and stir them, mashing a few, until the milk turns purple and tastes like the berries.

The second is also excellent, baked into a blackberry cobbler, served with or without ice cream. My favorite cobbler, tastes old fashioned, brings back memories.

Spence

We have them growing around our house,but with it so dry in the last couple weeks, doesn't look like many survived. Black caps/raspberries did real well though. Saw some Mulberries too.

I like them baked in pies, etc. that my wife does. :grin:

They grow wild around our pond, what the birds don't get my daughter picks and makes cobblers.

Central Maine used to be full of them- ripened towards the end of summer. Stained the inside of your hat black if you used a hat to hold them. Talk about good- just look out for the bears. They'd eat out tunnels through the brambles.

Got the wild ones all around out pastures, but I like dew berries better. About five years ago, a neighbor gave me 5 thornless black berry bushes. berries as big as the last joint of your thumb. Got almost three gallons of them in the freezer already I like to make black berry syrup for ice cream and pancakes.I also process some into juice which I freeze and use to color and flavor other foods. When I was a kid, my grandmother made a combination cobbler of everything that got ripe in early august. Peaches, black berries, sometimes even plums. Real tasty. I make a black berry cordial with black berries, honey and grain alcohol that my wife likes. Guess I should add that we already have a little over 20 gallons of blueberries in the freezer. Add a few gallons of wineberries. We go through a lot of berries in a year.

No bad way to fix Blackberries into anything,,We juice them, freeze it and later in the year/winter make a fresh batch of Jelly.. This years berry crop is poor,and if you want to know when they are ready to pick,,watch the bears,the day after they ate they were perfect. :wink: :rotf:

I've often wondered if there is such a thing as black berry pie. Seems it would be "too Good"

Yes. Well, there used to be, at least. My family made pies just like cherry pies, also that old southern favorite, blackberry jam cake. Jellies and jams, of course. Some of my strongest childhood memories are of miserable, hot and bright days in the blackberry patch with my Mother and Grandmother, legs wrapped in woolen strips treated with kerosene against the chiggers, little tin pail in hand. No bear problem, here.

Spence

YES !!!! Just the way I liked em when I was a Kid in WV. Most mornings in BB season I would get up at daylight and go to the patch barefoot and pick my breakfast. Just like your pic. We don't have them here in the Bitterroot so I travel over to the Clearwater in Idaho most years and gather a bucket or two.

George said:
Yes. Well, there used to be, at least. My family made pies just like cherry pies, also that old southern favorite, blackberry jam cake. Jellies and jams, of course. Some of my strongest childhood memories are of miserable, hot and bright days in the blackberry patch with my Mother and Grandmother, legs wrapped in woolen strips treated with kerosene against the chiggers, little tin pail in hand. No bear problem, here.

Spence
Same here but got dusted from teh knees down with good ole yellow sulpfur powder...hell, at least it worked! Though , aren't you suppose to call them chigroes now? :rotf:

Not many black berries around here, but like Zim there were a lot of Dew Berries ( You can't tell the difference in taste) around here when I was 16 to 18 years old on the sides of the road and a few other places. I picked gallons of them and sold them for 50 cents a quart, I made many a pint of black (dew) berry jam with them also. Then the county came along and sprayed the sides of the roads with weed killer and wiped them all out :slap: :td: :( .

Did you have ground cherries also? We didn't have many but they were sure good. Same for dewberry.

Ours are done by the middle of June. Pick up a dose of chiggers ticks and scratches. Well worth it. They seem to taste best from hand to mouth. Those that make it in to my bucket get the bowl of cream. I've made coblers and short cake, but the best is hot sun and chigger bit one at a time :grin:

Picked a litre of them on Saturday from the old train station, made into crumble with the intent of having a bit each day for the rest of the week. Ate it all in one go and got a hangover!

Interesting, that you mentioned ground cherries. We have something called ground cherries but they do not get ripe until late September. They are a lot like tiny tomatillos, with a brown papery husk over them, but the little berries inside are a dull yellow with a slightly sweet citrus flavor. Just bigger than a large pea. My grandmother had a patch of them that came up every year behind her house and she made pies from them. A relative of the night shade family and related to tomatoes and southern "huckle berries" I understand in England they are called Cape Gooseberries. I have a half dozen plants of them. Not to be confused with the poisonous Chinese/Japanese lantern plant.

Whats a cumble? Is it like ouyr cobbler? (unless your asking whats a cobbler is that like our crumble)Or what we call a coffee cake, anyway sounds good

It's like a cobbler in the same sense that an English scone is like an American biscuit...nearest equivalent, similar idea, but...different.

You rub flour, butter and sugar together till you get a breadcrumb like texture, cover the fruit with it and bake.

Back