• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wild foods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fiddleheads, ramps, butternuts, hickory nuts, white oak acorns, sassafras (young leaves and roots), wild grapes (very similar to concord), black caps (a local/regional name for wild black raspberries), wild blueberries....
No particular order there. Some I enjoy more than others. Some having been gathered in greater quantities than others.

We don't have persimmons or paw-paw here, I'd gather some if we did.

Nervous about mushrooms. I like them, buy them in the store,,, but very leary about finding and consuming wild ones.

Deep fried dandelion flowers.(extremely good), ramps, morel mushrooms, puffball mushrooms,walnuts,butternuts, hickory nuts, maple syrup from our maple trees, black raspberries,blackberries and wild asparagus.

Daughter's an amateur mycologist/forager. She eats stuff I won't put in my hand. Fungi is her specialty and I gotta admit there are many "out there" as good/better than morels. Dandelions are a good source for everything from salads to jelly. My personal favorite are Paw-Paws. Missouri's state fruit. Taste is betwixt banana and mango. Wild stuff's generally more flavorful than store-bought and fresh beats store-bought every time.

You can eat any mushroom you find .....once.

Ramps and fiddleheads are early spring favorites. I pick mushrooms when I can, morels, chanterelles, black trumpets, lobsters, an occasional porcini but Iā€™m not good at finding them, hen of the woods in the fall, those are my favorites. Wild strawberries, blackberries and black raspberries. Iā€™ve picked butternuts in the past but theyā€™re all but extinct around here, I pick shag bark hickory nuts occasionally.
Iā€™ve picked ā€œmustard greensā€ in cornfields with my in-laws, thatā€™s what they call them but I donā€™t really know what it is. Itā€™s kind of a weed and has yellow flowers.

Once in the Sierra Nevada foothills I stopped to pee on the side of the road and there was the most beautiful blackberry a foot away from a big ole steamer someone had left there. Man it looked ripe and juicy (the blackberry). I still have never had a wild blackberry.

What I have dabbled in a little is mesquite pods and cactus fruits. Both are tasty if you get the right ones. Barrel cactus fruit are interesting and taste like a very lemony sweet pepper. If I ever get back to brewing, Iā€™d like to make a sugar mesquite, prickly pear beer. Saguaro cactus are excellent, but are ripe when it starts getting miserable hot and supposedly you can get in trouble for collecting them.

Once in the Sierra Nevada foothills I stopped to pee on the side of the road and there was the most beautiful blackberry a foot away from a big ole steamer someone had left there. Man it looked ripe and juicy (the blackberry). I still have never had a wild blackberry.

What I have dabbled in a little is mesquite pods and cactus fruits. Both are tasty if you get the right ones. Barrel cactus fruit are interesting and taste like a very lemony sweet pepper. If I ever get back to brewing, Iā€™d like to make a sugar mesquite, prickly pear beer. Saguaro cactus are excellent, but are ripe when it starts getting miserable hot and supposedly you can get in trouble for collecting them.
Used to get prickly pear in New Mexico. My mother didnā€™t trust any wild food hardly. But after I left home my dad talked her in to trying one. She did, she didnā€™t know you needed to peel it firstā€¦

My grandma used to make chokecherry jelly. It was quite a treat. She used to also can wild plums and use them for pastries.
Morel mushrooms and wild asparagus were a big deal too when I was a kid. And we used to eat a lot of wild mulberries right off the tree, but I donā€™t recall anyone ever using them for anything beyond that.

There was a local guy who made chokecherry wine. Itā€™d make you pucker but it got the job done.

Sort of a wild food. In the Superstition Mountains here in AZ, there is an old homestead in the wilderness that was inhabited by a hermit named Elisha Reavis. When I was in my teens, my pop booked a trip through parks and rec to pack to Reavis Ranch with llamas carrying our backpacks. The abandoned ranch had an apple orchard and an old rickety two story house. We had as many apples as we could eat and checked out the farmhouse which was occupied by a group of Boy Scouts when we were there.

Latest posts

Back