• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So how many different wild meats have you killed, cooked and eaten?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes some armadillos do carry leprosy. I guess I was lucky and did not contact it. But for that reason I am foregoing that "particular delicacy". It is no longer on the list so to speak.

Would not kill a sand hill crane. Just me. Where I live, they are easily tamed. Eat from your hand and come when called.
They are also federally protected in Florida and illegal to shoot... here in Wyoming we have the greater sandhill crane and they are more of a nuisance to farmers and eat from their crops. No pets here just delicious dinner fare!

Deer, Squirrel, Rabbit, Muskrat, Turkey, Beaver, Rainbow Trout,Perch, Bullhead, Crappie,Sucker, Walley. Various panfish. Racoon, Dove, Pigeon. I would very much like to try Porcupine,I hear its fantastic.

Some things are best left uneaten, Buzzards , hawks, and skunks come to mind.There are more! The story of Secretary Breckinridge escaping across Florida after the Civil War. His servant killed a seabird (Heron or Egret) and cooked it. They got sick to the stomach and threw up from it. I myself am just getting over a stomach virus and some foods (or the thought of them) still turn my stomach.

Last edited:
Among the different animals the Lewis and Clark expedition ate offered by the various tribes was dog. However Capt Clark never could bring himself to like it

Last edited:
Have killed and eaten the usual, I suppose, squirrel, rabbit, prairie chicken., deer, turkey, even opossum once. Do fish count? Strangest, weirdest(?) was while in-country, Viet-Nam, though I didn't kill it, was monkey.

As a African Professional Hunter and just love "bush food" that left me with almost everything Africa has to offer. Except Hyena. I wont do that hahaha.
My most popular dish and sought after by my clients is elephant tail.

Attachments

• 20210617_080156.jpg
    20210617_080156.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210116_190740.jpg
    20210116_190740.jpg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210117_125254.jpg
    20210117_125254.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
likely the most tasty wild but not indigenous to this area was a young wild boar/feral pig I killed back in '79 (but not with a bp gun so can't brag on it here) that beside mast had been feeding in an old homestead apple and peach orchard. companions and I roasted in a split steel drum over hardwood fire/coals. now that was tasty, along with sweet potatoes, rice, a large jar of pickled okra another smaller of hot ramps plus glorious simmered lentils cooked with onion and parsnip.
quite a farting contest we had after the feast.

No one has mentioned Bald Eagle yet. "It is delicious" (as someone will always opine).
Absolutely ! Tastes like a cross between CA condor and spotted owl. More white meat than a golden eagle for those so inclined. Delicate hints of prairie falcon and roadrunner can be tasted as well. SW

Back