• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found this under my stand I just put up. What left this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I wonder how those critters get so big scrounging on berries and such. Sometimes they like corn too.
Because they're pretty much scavengers or should I say opportunists. They'll eat everything they can get their paws on. I told a lot of people how to get bears from stopping getting into your trash. Get a couple balloons and put a funnel in the opening and pour in some ammonia, blow up the balloon (keeping it pointed down) and tie it off. Put it in and on top of the trash bag. They puncture that balloon with tooth or claw they get a blast of ammonia. They'll leave you alone.

Could it be deer? I have deer coming through my vineyard daily and I found a fist size pile like that the other day. Looks like deer pellets all globbed together from eating apples grapes, and blackberries. Most of the bear scat I have seen, albeit not much, has usually been a lot larger pile more towards the size of a cowpie. Correct me if I am wrong or I have a bear near as well.
I would have to guess the OP has a black bear in the area.

As for deer, you won’t see the particulars of their diet in the droppings due to their digestive system. Differentiating between doe and buck droppings, the droppings of a doe will be scattered about, loosely whereas the droppings from the buck will be all clumped together due to the fact that a buck is, naturally, more constipated and has fewer bowel movements in a 48 hour period. This is especially typical of reclusive bucks that tend to bed down for longer periods if they aren’t in rut.

Last edited:
Found this while I was putting up a ladder stand for the up coming muzzleloader season.

At first I thought perhaps a racoon, but it doesn't look like racoon scat. Too much of it.

Possum, too much for a them to leave behind.

Fox, nope.

Coyote, I'm not seeing it.

Pretty sure I know what deposited it but lets hear you all's input.

It appears to be composed of all blackberries.

Length about 4".

Width about 3".

Height about 3/4" to 1".View attachment 248207
bear

I would have to guess the OP has a black bear in the area.

As for deer, you won’t see the particulars of their diet in the droppings due to their digestive system. Differentiating between doe and buck droppings, the droppings of a doe will be scattered about, loosely whereas the droppings from the buck will be all clumped together due to the fact that a buck is, naturally, more constipated and has fewer bowel movements in a 48 hour period. This is especially typical of reclusive bucks that tend to bed down for longer periods if they aren’t in rut.
I guess it depends on the OPs location in KY if he is in Eastern Ky I would agree although there have been a few supposedly sighted in the south central area mostly near Mammoth Cave NP which is about 45 minutes from myself. Around me it would be rare that's why I inquired about the deer poo, as you stated bucks are more constipated than does and a lot of times they will leave a globular pile and not the raisin like droppings of the does. Could it be a large buck in the area?
Thanks for the info.

i'm thinking bear. deer scat (around my place) is a bit more organized.

have you asked the game warden? they are really good at this sort of thing... (at least, mine is ... showed him a photo of scratchings on a tree and he told me all about porcupines)

One day I will tell you of my experience with the Ohio grassman. They are real m friends!
Start writing, and I'll be waiting!
Maybe start a new thread. A couple folks here have alluded to seeing some other-worldly creatures in the woods, but not a lot of detail.
Except one guy in East Texas, where his tales really scared me!
But, sometimes, I wonder if people are putting me on.
But, I still like the stories!

Found this while I was putting up a ladder stand for the up coming muzzleloader season.

At first I thought perhaps a racoon, but it doesn't look like racoon scat. Too much of it.

Fox, nope.

Length about 4".

Width about 3".

Black Bear.

Going back through some old hunting photos I came across these high bush cranberries and another shot taken out of the living room window of a brownie picking some.

DSCN1767.jpeg

IMG_3984.jpeg

Fox, nope.

Length about 4".

Width about 3".

My guess it's either black bear or feral hog feces.

Jayhawk

Fox, nope.

Length about 4".

Width about 3".

Fox, nope.

Length about 4".

Width about 3".

BEAR!

Going back through some old hunting photos I came across these high bush cranberries and another shot taken out of the living room window of a brownie picking some.

View attachment 248425

Looks like quite a few fresh berries left in that pile. Probably enough to make a nice mess of cranberry sauce. ;)

Back