• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So how many different wild meats have you killed, cooked and eaten?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwanShot

36 Cal.
Reaction score
For me, remember I'm Australian, it would go some thing like this:

Various fowl, including water and ground feeders.
Rabbits.
Goat.
pig.
Donkey.
horse.
emu.
Kangaroo.
Camel. Yes Camel.

You may notice that some of the above are feral animals that are wild in the bush, and so are fair game.
I do regret the horse because I like horses.
Camels run wild all across the outback desert regions of the whole continent, and, believe it or not they are very good eating.
There are 10s of thousands of wild donkeys roaming across the country, and their meat is lean and a bit stringy. Best to stew it. Same with roo and emu, but the rest are good any way you like it.

I’ve tried lots of things, most are edible, some excellent, some are pretty good though not necessarily habit forming.
Deer
Moose
Rabbit and hare
Raccoon
Muskrat
Beaver
Woodchuck
Snapping turtle
Lots of various waterfowl
Grouse
Dove
Wild turkey
I’ve never had bear but I’d like to get one so I could.

Last edited:
I'll go with what I though was best to least.
Moose
Elk
Pronghorn
Deer
turkey
Rabbit
Squirrel
Racoon
Geese
Duck
Dove
Frogs
Fish
Turtle
and a few oddballs
Monkey when I was in the Navy from a street vendor.
And by far the worst When I was about 15 a buddy and I shot a Crow
plucked it and cooked it on an open fire. It was downright nasty thus the saying "Eat Crow"... 🤣

The worst tasting was grizzly, also did not enjoy the frog.

Big horn ram
moose
black bear
grizzly bear
white tail deer
mule deer
elk
caribou
antelope
turtle
frog
racoon
squirrel
kangaroo
alligator
pheasant
quail
dove
sandhill crane
spruce grouse
ruffed grouse

Whitetail deer
turkey
ruffled grouse
dove
rabbit
squirrel
groundhog
porcupine
rattlesnake
chipmunk,

The eating of the chipmunks was under protest. A rule with our family was that you didn't kill something that you were not going to eat. As kids our grandfather caught my brothers and I shooting chipmunks. You know the rest of the story

Thanks
O.R.

I have killed cooked and eaten quite a few that are already listed, but I will add regular ol Crow. Breasted out, and fried in the skillet. It wasn't bad at all.

One time, I was on the river with some guys who shot a Nutria rat and cooked it. I didn't try it, and they didn't seem enjoy it much either. That being said, the cooks weren't Cajuns. I would definitely try some Cajun prepared Nutria rat.

Pretty much this list, also, dog,bobcat,Fox, jack rabbit, gopher, beaver, nutria, gator, rattle and black snake, iguana, kangaroo
Crow made good soup, Fox was nasty, jack rabbit was tough as nails and was like chewing on sage bush. Got monkey meat in the Philippines in the navy but it tasted like pork, and I always believed I was given something under false pretense

Of what I have personally killed,
Whitetail deer
Wild hog
Squirrel
Rabbit
Dove
Quail
Armadillo (long time ago)
Possum (long time ago)
Raccoon (don't like)
Beaver (don't like)
Blackbird ( was curious)

Edit: forgot wild turkey
2nd edit: how could I have forgotten about Duck! Used to duck hunt a lot when younger until one day I finally admitted to myself I just didn't like the taste, no matter how I cooked them.

Last edited:
Killed and eaten:
Pheasant 👍
Partridge/ruffled grouse👍👍
Turkey 👍👍
Deer 👍👍
Squirrel 👍👍
Rabbit (kind of neutral on this one)
Raccoon 👎
Porcupine 👍
Beaver 👍
Frogs 👍👍
Snapping turtle 👍👍
Crayfish 👍
Duck (rating would depend on type and how it was prepared)

Someone else killed, I cooled or helped cook,,,, and then ate:
Black bear 👍 (I've had it good and had it not so good)
Moose 👍👍
Caribou (not bad, but not a favorite)
Elk 👍
Antelope 👎(okay as sausage)
Seal (some parts very good like the fins/flippers,,, the rest,,,,, gross)
Alligator 👍
Canada Goose (very dependent on preparation. Roasted=NO, goose kielbasa=YES)
Possum (had good and bad)
Rattlesnake 👍
Wild pig/hog 👍👍

Won't get into all the various fish caught and eaten, seems off topic for here..
No need to get into insects or foreign oddities here either....

Moose, Black Bear, Racoon, Rabbit, Gray Squirrel, Red Squirrel, Bull Frog, Alligator, Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Feral Pig, Mourning Dove, Mallard Duck, Wood Duck, Cinnamon Teal, Green Wing Teal, Snow Goose, Greater Canadian Goose, Lesser Canadian Goose, Blue Goose, Pintail Duck, Antelope, Crawdads, Bobwhite Quail, Pheasant, Chukar, Prairie Chicken, Grouse, Eastern Wild Turkey, Gadwall, Wigeon, Scaup, Merganser, Snapping turtle and probably several I've forgotten about over the decades. Some of the nasty tasting waterfowl were cut into 1/2" cubes, coated in flower and Lowery's, then browned in bacon grease. That made them totally delicious and that muddy gamey taste disappeared completely. Never bake a Canadian or Snow goose and expect me to eat it.

From freq. loosely
Whitetail venison
moose
muledeer
pronghorn antelope
black bear
bison
Wild frog legs
Snapping turtle
crayfish
freshwater clams...they and crayfish...eh. muddy at best.
wild duck,
Goose
wild turkey
squirrel
snowshoe hare
rabbit,
Porcupine
Woodchuck
Kudu
impala
ostrich
springbuck
warthog
Termites (tastes like peanut butter...really!)
off course, most Eastern US freshwater fish
Snapping turtle was much better than anticipated. Just great in a stew. Ostrich is outstanding, and I am sorry I dont do more rabbit hunting, as we love it.
Where ever i go I am very eager to try the local "off the menu" food. I was very disappointed I missed the chance for seal flippers on my last newfoundland trip. My guide told me he would have happily brought some.

Is that like the real one or a lamb. Waltzing Matilda " Up jumped a springbuck" meaning lamb or sheep.
I love Tom Waits' version of Waltzing Matilda - an absolute classic!

Regarding the issue at hand: All the normal game I suppose, but one time I shot a rattlesnake when I was bowhunting for antelope, so I felt obligated to give it a try. The meat on top of the rib cage was a little tough, but tasted just fine. The meat under the ribs was absolutely horrible - never again!!

Now - I think I'll listen to a little Tom Waits...

Back