• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

White lightning replacement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The touchhole liner in one of my guns is getting pretty worn. It’s a white lightning, at what point has a one here replaced theirs. It’s way beyond the point of round tooth pick fitting in. Also to where every now and then my 2f powder comes out. My question is at what point should it be replaced?

Last edited:
If you have any gunsmith experience, they are easy to replace. Take the old one out with an easy out, measure how long the one you took out is and file the new one to be the same length. The hole should be counter sunk just a hair. I put anti seize on mine, I screw them in and tighten them with plyers but don't torque them down. Cut off the stub about 1/16" above the barrel, be really careful and don't get your saw into the barrel, I did once, yuck. Peen around the edges of what stub is left to get the liner into the countersink and make it invisible when you file it off flush with the barrel.

A good job should look like this, I had some that showed a partial line around them because my countersink was wonky.

touchhole liner 016.JPG

@brewyak, you will need to measure the diameter of the old touch hole liner and the thread pitch to be sure it will perfectly replace the old liner. Then do as @Eric Krewson instructs in his thread.

You need to replace the touch hole liner when accuracy on target falls way off or when powder flows freely through the touch hole to self prime the pan.

We make our own liners. If you use ours, you won't have to peen as we have a small thread relief directly below the chamfered head. It's impossible to fully thread up to this shoulder without a relief, and if it's not threaded completely, the head won't fully seat in the countersink without measures such as peening.

Jim

The touchhole liner in one of my guns is getting pretty worn. It’s a white lightning, at what point has a one here replaced theirs. It’s way beyond the point of round tooth pick fitting in. Also to where every now and then my 2f powder comes out. My question is at what point should it be replaced?
I’d say your past due for replacement. You may need a gun builder to change it however. Often the the liner is long enough to protrude into the bore of the gun interfering with cleaning and must be shortened and chamfered. Or intercepts the breech face and causes issues. But the point remains it is worn out. BJH

Last edited:
I’d say your past due for replacement. You may need a gun builder to change it however. Often the the liner is long enough to protrude into the bore of the gun interfering with cleaning and must be shortened and chamfered. Or intercepts the breech face and causes issues. But the point remains it is worn out. BJH

hmmm. I thought they just screwed in and out? Mine on my CVA plainsman does, I clean it each shooting.
The do, however the white lightning liner is normally custom fitted. On factory guns like Your CVA there are standard factory replacement liners plus possibly aftermarket parts. BJH

We make our own liners. If you use ours, you won't have to peen as we have a small thread relief directly below the chamfered head. It's impossible to fully thread up to this shoulder without a relief, and if it's not threaded completely, the head won't fully seat in the countersink without measures such as peening.

Jim
Thanks Jim!

If you have any gunsmith experience, they are easy to replace. Take the old one out with an easy out, measure how long the one you took out is and file the new one to be the same length. The hole should be counter sunk just a hair. I put anti seize on mine, I screw them in and tighten them with plyers but don't torque them down. Cut off the stub about 1/16" above the barrel, be really careful and don't get your saw into the barrel, I did once, yuck. Peen around the edges of what stub is left to get the liner into the countersink and make it invisible when you file it off flush with the barrel.

A good job should look like this, I had some that showed a partial line around them because my countersink was wonky.

View attachment 279248
Nice work!

Now!

I suspect the so-called accuracy change when a touch hole gets too big can be easily compensated for, just work up another load your rifle likes.

I have one rifle that has been through 3 owners, the guy who gave it to me said it had at least 50K shots through it since the early 70s. He said he had the liner changed out at Friendship a long time ago. I haven't measured the hole size but it is huge and will self-prime a pan full with 3F. I load it with a toothpick in the hole.

I worked up a load for the rifle when I got it 15 years ago, it is the most accurate rifle I own and is almost a ragged one-hole shooter at 50 yards, big touch hole and all.

I made a feeble attempt to remove the liner and replace it but found it is threaded into the breech plug, any attempt to remove it buggers up the screwdriver slot, the rifle shoots great so I left it as is.

large barrel.JPG

Back