• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 15-18 year old TC Hawken flintlock in 50 cal. It has been a decent shooter and I have even taken two deer with it. I have noticed a perceptible delay even after trying different blackpowder lots and multiple flints. Ignition of the charge in the pan is very reliable, as is the primary charge ignition, albeit after a delay. In reading the forum I saw a mention of replacing the touchhole liner suggested to another owner. As TC parts are getting scarce or in this case extremely difficult to find, my question is, Do the experts here believe replacing the touchhole bushing could improve the speed of ignition and if so, is there anyone out there making a substitute part?

Track of the wolf sells one that looks like it would fit based on thread size but the touchhole itself seems to be a smaller diameter than the pictures of the TC replacement part #7327

Thanks, trying to get ready for NH Deer opener coming up quickly.

I have a 15-18 year old TC Hawken flintlock in 50 cal. It has been a decent shooter and I have even taken two deer with it. I have noticed a perceptible delay even after trying different blackpowder lots and multiple flints. Ignition of the charge in the pan is very reliable, as is the primary charge ignition, albeit after a delay. In reading the forum I saw a mention of replacing the touchhole liner suggested to another owner. As TC parts are getting scarce or in this case extremely difficult to find, my question is, Do the experts here believe replacing the touchhole bushing could improve the speed of ignition and if so, is there anyone out there making a substitute part?

Track of the wolf sells one that looks like it would fit based on thread size but the touchhole itself seems to be a smaller diameter than the pictures of the TC replacement part #7327

Try the gun works in Oregon for a stock replacement, they may have one in stock.

Two questions. 1) does it have the old-style cock or the new one? 2) does it have a touch hole liner now? If it does, I just run a 1/16 drill through it rather than replacing it. Good luck.
Old style.
1694798389548.png

New style.
1694798428984.png

as already posted, drill out with 1/16th or can buy a replacement from RMC Ox-yoke. It's an allen wrench that comes with so it act to help funnel spark in plus the allen doesn't want to slip out like a screwdriver does. Have used them in mine for years and have no complaints.

Thank you Old Style,

The cock on my TC Hawken appears identical to the one in your picture and yes, it has a touch hole liner now. I ordered a new one from the link BigAl52 shared. While waiting for that to arrive I will try the 1/16th drill bit approach and see what that does to improve the speed or at least consistency of speed. I missed a buck two years ago because I flinched terribly as I was waiting for the main charge to go off. I still see the image of the buck in my nightmares as he looked at me and trotted off unscathed as the smoke cleared.

Would look like this.
Thank you Thingamajiggy: That liner looks much larger than the stock one I have today. I ordered two to be safe from RMC but will give the drill bit approach a try while I wait. Frankly I am a little concerned about getting the factory liner out as it has been in the gun for over 15 years. The rifle has been kept extremely clean and I have never seen any corrosion. The us of a hex head seems to make more sense than the factory slotted liner. Appreciate the help!

Thank you Thingamajiggy: That liner looks much larger than the stock one I have today. I ordered two to be safe from RMC but will give the drill bit approach a try while I wait. Frankly I am a little concerned about getting the factory liner out as it has been in the gun for over 15 years. The rifle has been kept extremely clean and I have never seen any corrosion. The us of a hex head seems to make more sense than the factory slotted liner. Appreciate the help!
Yep, no worries. Have them in all my production guns, really think they help. Goodluck.

With every flintlock rifle I've owned I drilled the touch hole out with a 1/16" bit. That size has always given me very fast ignition after many years of use.
Like Hanshi says the old tried and true method of enlarging the touch hole to 1/16 inch has been used for decades. I can remember my father and his friends doing so to originals that they were shooting at Friendship in the early years.

before the hex (allen) wrench slipes use fine valve grinding compound. even pressure on wrench, plug vent with toothpick soak with good penatrating oil. heat gun area then try again. have fun mike

Something else to think about. The T-C has a patent breech, i.e. there is a powder chamber in the breech plug. It is smaller in diameter than the bore of the barrel. When you clean the gun you need to use a smaller brush (I use one for a .357) to get down into that powder chamber. If you don't, it can build up crud in there which will retard ignition. It can also collect oil with the same result. If you have been scrubbing it out, good. Otherwise you might try getting down in that, what I have also seen referred to as the antechamber. Then wrap a patch around the brush you use to get the loose stuff out.

If it IS the touch hole, get out that 1/16" drill!

Something else to think about. The T-C has a patent breech, i.e. there is a powder chamber in the breech plug. It is smaller in diameter than the bore of the barrel. When you clean the gun you need to use a smaller brush (I use one for a .357) to get down into that powder chamber. If you don't, it can build up crud in there which will retard ignition. It can also collect oil with the same result. If you have been scrubbing it out, good. Otherwise you might try getting down in that, what I have also seen referred to as the antechamber. Then wrap a patch around the brush you use to get the loose stuff out.

If it IS the touch hole, get out that 1/16" drill!
Wow... thank you. I own three hawkens (one flint) and a couple renegades and never new about the chamber in the breech plug. I do use a T/C scraper when I clean them but is will check it right now and make sure it is clean. Big help, Thank you

before installing the new liner, if you have the means, it is of great benefit to cone the inside of the vent and polish it. also make sure it doesn't protrude into the bore. patches will hang up it it does. 2cents
That makes a lot of sense. I will see how I can polish the new ones. I'll compare the overall length of the new ones vs the stock one and make sure it doesn't protrude. Another great tip. Thank you.

Heading to the range tomorrow with the 1/16 drilled out stock liner.

I wouldn't fix what isn't broken. If it shoots well, leave it alone.
If you have to try this new touchhole liner, make sure it is 100% reversible in case it doesn't work out.

Most T/C failure to fire instances can be attributed to a fouling blockage in the flash channel. A flintlock will have the nipple seat and the so called "clean out screw" replaced by a breech plug with a touch hole liner. Eliminate the delay by keeping the flash channel clear of fouling.

What we can see in this cut away picture of a T/C breech plug is that the flash channel can't be cleaned by all the normal jags, undersized chambered scrapers and even breech face brushes, the total flash channel can't be cleaned except by a pipe cleaner from the nipple seat to the powder chamber. That's a pretty long path for the heat from the pan to get to the powder charge. Little wonder that T/C flintlocks have a bad reputation. Getting powder from the powder chamber to near the touch hole can be improved with the use of 3Fg (real black) powder and smacking the breech to get some powder settled near the touch hole.

1694907678545.jpeg

That flash channel can be filled by powder fouling being pushed into the flash channel when wiped between shots. Fortunately, there is enough force generated by a percussion cap to blow the fouling out of the flash channel and into a damp patch on the cleaning jag that is down at the breech. Pay no attention to that so called "clean out screw" shown next to the breech. That one is too long and will jam against the nipple or possibly block the flash channel at the nipple seat. A flint lock will need a burst of compressed air through the touch hole to keep that long flash channel open and dry. Perhaps a blast from a CO2 ball discharger will help. If wiping between shots, be sure a plume of smoke is pushed out of the touch hole. A fine brush or pipe cleaner can be pushed through the touch hole and through the flash channel.

Since it is a hooked breech, the barrel can be removed and the chambered breech and the flash channel can be flushed clean in a container of cleaning solution (okay, water and a little bit of dish soap).

Get that flash channel clean and get powder as close as possible to the touch hole and the delays should be as fast as possible.

I don't think the TC flint patent breach plugs are made like the percussion patent ones. This pic is from the sister forum and these are for a .50 cal TC Hawken. Made like the Perdersoli's.
This also doesn't count for the Firestorm breach.
1694918244409.png

Latest posts

Back