• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which one?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acohill1

72 cal
Reaction score
My local source for BP is unfortunately drying up. I managed to score his last lb of FFg and grabbed some pyrodex and FFFg as well... will the FFFg work at all in the SxS? Can I use smaller loads to avoid blowing out the pattern or will the grain size always produce the "donut" effect?
From what i understand i can just 1:1 the pdex with the FFg.
17081926270374340812564152781865.jpg

Local sources of BP are few and far between. And getting fewer. I think you just have to bite the bullet and order online. Keep your eye open for free hazmat offers. I ordered some five pounds a while back, got free shipping and free hazmat. Five pounds should last me well into next year. If not longer. Otherwise I have to make the hour and a half drive one way to where I can buy it over the counter.

I tried 3F after talking to Brittsmoothy here on the forum and found I got the same results with less powder in my 10 gage. I went from 90 gr. of 2F to 80 gr. of 3F for my turkey load and it was no difference in performance. What I have found to blow holes in a pattern was using fiber wads under the shot. I now use a wool wad that won't blow holes in my patterns.

I tried 3F after talking to Brittsmoothy here on the forum and found I got the same results with less powder in my 10 gage. I went from 90 gr. of 2F to 80 gr. of 3F for my turkey load and it was no difference in performance. What I have found to blow holes in a pattern was using fiber wads under the shot. I now use a wool wad that won't blow holes in my patterns.
I have all kinds of stuff for over powder wads from hard cardboard to leather to felt.... I'm so new idk where to start though so i just use like 1 1/16in over powder cardboard and same over shot with an occasional lubed wad on top like smoothy told me. i have a saved message from him i refer to when ever i go out to the range.

EDIT: ive also heard you can like break up the fibre and stuff it in on top of the shot so it dosent donut but id imagine thatd be a fire hazard.

Lots and lots of topics and replies here about folks using finer powder for shot loads.
I generally start my testing with 10 grains less than an existing load that uses coarser powder, if I have one. I generally prefer the 3f anyway.

Last edited:
I use the same scoop for 3F as I do for shot, but I pattern the gun. I shoot 3/4. 7/8, 1oz, 1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz depending on the application. In my larger gauge guns (11, 12, 13) I found that with 3F the 1 1/8 oz scoop of powder under the 1 1/4 oz scoop of shot had the best patterns. All the other loads in all the other guns are "square", same scoop for powder and shot.

If you have no choke twentyfive yards is near top range. You can boost it by some tricks but not much.
Shoot a tuna can bottom. If shot penetrates the bottom it will do in turkey or anything smaller. Load the minimum you get to do that
Less powder more shot.

Latest posts

Back