• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black Powder Shotguns Are Freaking Sweet!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felonious

Is not actually a convicted felon.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot modern shotguns a few times, years ago, but it was never really my thing. I have nothing against it, but I didn't have a shotgun, and I had no need for one.

My neighbor invited me to go duck hunting, and we drew a really desirable blind. I had recently got a black powder rifle, and it was a ton of fun, so I figured I'd get a black powder shotgun to go with it.

I settled on a Pedersoli 12 ga SxS kit, with improved and modified cylinders. I've never built a gun before, and I've never even held a percussion or flint gun before this (my other BP is an inline). It took about 2 weeks to finish, but most of that was drying time between coats of Tru-Oil (great product, by the way). I was pleasantly surprised by the "simple complexity" of the mechanical parts, while they weren't EASY to understand, it wasn't particularly difficult to figure out how everything worked together in a few hours. It was a great beginner project for somebody with a little bit of mechanical background.

I went out to shoot it yesterday, but was getting about a 50% misfire rate. The caps would go off, but the gun wouldn't fire. When it did go off, every one of them was a brief hangfire. I checked the percussion nipples, and they were spotless. After reading a ton of threads on here I think I figured out that it's a combination of very small flash channels (they seem to be about the smallest factory size available), and the only powder available here at the moment is Pyrodex FFG. I ordered some "hotter" nipples that are supposed to work better with Pyrodex, they should be here in a day or two, fingers crossed. I'll also be keeping an eye out for different powder. Any other advice would be appreciated.

When it did go bang, it was super satisfying, big boom, lots of smoke. It's probably the most fun I've had shooting, ever. I was using #2 lead birdshot (have bismuth to hunt), 1oz by weight, then squaring the powder to that, by volume. One barrel patterns perfectly, the other needs some adjustments with my wads and cards and such. Even so, The milk jugs and old pumpkins that I was hunting didn't stand a chance. I've got some #1 lead buck that I'm going to try next.

I've spent hours reading threads on this forum, and I appreciate all of the excellent advice from most of you guys and gals. I would have had a lot of difficulty getting everything set up without you. Thank you.

I'm always open to advice, criticism, or tips.

20221210_090202.jpg
20221207_132900.jpg
20221206_143633.jpg
20221204_222908.jpg
20221203_114256.jpg

Yer gonna love it! Search Skycheif load on the forum, it works wonders. Basically your final wad is a real thick and soaked in oil wad. Nobody knows why it works but it does. I believe the weight of the wad being shot out creats a frction of a second vacuum that pulls the shot in a tighter pattern behind it???? Do search for it and give it a shot. More pics please when yer dropping drakes n hens!

Yer gonna love it! Search Skycheif load on the forum, it works wonders. Basically your final wad is a real thick and soaked in oil wad. Nobody knows why it works but it does. I believe the weight of the wad being shot out creats a frction of a second vacuum that pulls the shot in a tighter pattern behind it???? Do search for it and give it a shot. More pics please when yer dropping drakes n hens!
Thanks! I've actually been researching the Sky Chief loads, and already have the proper wads from Ballistic Products to try it out. I was shooting them with a light lubrication of Ballistol, but will try fully soaking them next time, I just got a half cow, so we have a metric a**-ton of tallow that needs a use. I was just really excited to get out and shoot, and definitely could have done some better preparation.

Thanks again for the advice, I will for sure try the Sky Chief load next time.

Looks great, is it possible you still had oil in the bore/nipples/flash channels? Then not to offend the pyrodex guys, but I would suggest trying some real Black Powder in ffg, or fffg granulation if you can find it. I have never found any substitute powders that were as fast or reliable as the real thing. The closest I found was triple 7, but real black still beats it in my opinion. Best of luck.

Looks great, is it possible you still had oil in the bore/nipples/flash channels?
It's definitely possible, but I did clean them pretty well before I shot. I cleaned them again yesterday, and I know they are spotless this time. I'll try them again and see if I still have an issue.
Then not to offend the pyrodex guys, but I would suggest trying some real Black Powder in ffg, or fffg granulation if you can find it. I have never found any substitute powders that were as fast or reliable as the real thing. The closest I found was triple 7, but real black still beats it in my opinion. Best of luck.
Thanks! I'll probably end up having to order real BP online and paying hazmat. All of the places around here that even stock black powder stuff, don't have actual black powder, a handful of them only have pellets.

I can't get real black powder anywhere near me, so I have to order online.
Graf&sons is probably the best place to order from.
With the hazmat fee and shipping, it adds about 30 bucks per order. Their minimum order is 4 pounds anyway, so if you got the minimum or a pound or two more, it kinda takes the sting out of it, so to speak and you'd be set for quite a while.

I’m a real black powder guy all the way with the exception that I do use Triple seven 3F in my two double shotguns from time to time. I use it more in my 1860s original Belgian double more than my more modern Pietta/navy arms double. I NEVER have an ignition problem with the triple 7. Blast those barrels out with rubbing alcohol or brake cleaner prior to shooting. Make sure it’s dry/evaporated before loading. That’ll clear those barrels and nipples of oil. Double percussion shotguns are actually an almost in-line ignition. Misfiring issues are most of the time the lack of good cleaning practices.

Couple of thoughts:

1. For wing shooting real black powder is a must. It has a much lower ignition temp, and is all but simultaneous in firing.

2. Graf and son is a good choice for on line powder. I have used them a number of times. Powder Inc is also good. It is illegal to keep Black Powder on the shelf, either out front or behind the counter. So, you have to ask for it. Bass Pro and Cabelas have generally carried it, but you wouldn't know unless you press them about it. If you get hooked, buying 10 or 25 pounds of powder on line is the way to go (even 5 pounds is workable). A really nice local dealer told me "I probably lose $2.00 on every pound of Black Powder I sell." Insurance won't allow dealers to have more than 50 pounds in the building, so they have to buy it in 25 pound quantities. After that, I stuck with on line.

Had this Irish Setter, "Red", as a teenager. Unlike some of his breed, he actually loved hunting quail with me. Never did very good retrieving anything but sticks, but he'd find coveys and singles for me to shoot ...at. The first time I shot my M/L shotgun at a covey he found, I swear he must've thought something bad had happened. Didn't run off, but scooted sideways and gave me the stink eye as if to say "What the heck was that?"

After that one first time, he apparently figured out it was just another gun, but it was funny at the time. No problem ..other than he really didn't like picking up dead birds with his mouth....ever.

It's definitely possible, but I did clean them pretty well before I shot. I cleaned them again yesterday, and I know they are spotless this time. I'll try them again and see if I still have an issue.

Thanks! I'll probably end up having to order real BP online and paying hazmat. All of the places around here that even stock black powder stuff, don't have actual black powder, a handful of them only have pellets.
Always snap a cap in each barrel to dry it out i.e. oil moisture ect before loading 8)

I have an old CVA 12 bore double I put together from a kit back in the 80s. Although I never had ignition problems with #11 caps I recently installed Musket nipples on it. I happened on a very inexpensive six nipple lot of NIW CVA Musket nipples and had bought a 1000 Musket caps at the start of current cap drought. I had to bend both hammers inward a bit to center them on the nipples but it works a 100%. And I might add, I am setting off Pyrodex RS with the “weak” CCI Musket caps.

Could you tell me where you purchased the kit? Thanks
Dixie Gun Works, they are only about an hour away, but I've got two kids and didn't have the chance to buy in store, so I ordered online.

They have all kinds of kits, and fully assembled stuff as well.

I've shot modern shotguns a few times, years ago, but it was never really my thing. I have nothing against it, but I didn't have a shotgun, and I had no need for one.

My neighbor invited me to go duck hunting, and we drew a really desirable blind. I had recently got a black powder rifle, and it was a ton of fun, so I figured I'd get a black powder shotgun to go with it.

I settled on a Pedersoli 12 ga SxS kit, with improved and modified cylinders. I've never built a gun before, and I've never even held a percussion or flint gun before this (my other BP is an inline). It took about 2 weeks to finish, but most of that was drying time between coats of Tru-Oil (great product, by the way). I was pleasantly surprised by the "simple complexity" of the mechanical parts, while they weren't EASY to understand, it wasn't particularly difficult to figure out how everything worked together in a few hours. It was a great beginner project for somebody with a little bit of mechanical background.

I went out to shoot it yesterday, but was getting about a 50% misfire rate. The caps would go off, but the gun wouldn't fire. When it did go off, every one of them was a brief hangfire. I checked the percussion nipples, and they were spotless. After reading a ton of threads on here I think I figured out that it's a combination of very small flash channels (they seem to be about the smallest factory size available), and the only powder available here at the moment is Pyrodex FFG. I ordered some "hotter" nipples that are supposed to work better with Pyrodex, they should be here in a day or two, fingers crossed. I'll also be keeping an eye out for different powder. Any other advice would be appreciated.

When it did go bang, it was super satisfying, big boom, lots of smoke. It's probably the most fun I've had shooting, ever. I was using #2 lead birdshot (have bismuth to hunt), 1oz by weight, then squaring the powder to that, by volume. One barrel patterns perfectly, the other needs some adjustments with my wads and cards and such. Even so, The milk jugs and old pumpkins that I was hunting didn't stand a chance. I've got some #1 lead buck that I'm going to try next.

I've spent hours reading threads on this forum, and I appreciate all of the excellent advice from most of you guys and gals. I would have had a lot of difficulty getting everything set up without you. Thank you.

I'm always open to advice, criticism, or tips.

View attachment 182540View attachment 182542View attachment 182544View attachment 182545View attachment 182546
with my shotgun I pour in the powder fill a plastic power piston wad fill it with shot put some crisco on the back of the wad ram it down then cut the shot flaps off so just the wad is left and ram that on top of the shot. broke 15 skeet in a row

Latest posts

Back