• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where do you draw the line?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great and all but I'm sure someone by now has to have started a archery forum somewhere on the web. We start talking archery then it's .great uncle Doofis's .410 shotgun then old cars. Before you know it we don't have a traditional Muzzleloaders forum but just a place where manure is babbled.
In the immortal words of Ronald Reagan ... well, you know what they are. 😂

That's great and all but I'm sure someone by now has to have started a archery forum somewhere on the web. We start talking archery then it's .great uncle Doofis's .410 shotgun then old cars. Before you know it we don't have a traditional Muzzleloaders forum but just a place where manure is babbled.

Please calm down, Sir. Please show me where I proposed replacing ANY part of this forum with archery. The subject was first mentioned back in post #60, totally out of ANY form of muzzleloading context, simply as an example of an ancient weapon being brought into a modern context.

Last edited:
Please show me where I proposed replacing ANY part of this forum with archery.
Domino effect. Well-known phenomenon in social change. Your mere mention of archery is just the first domino to fall. Probably if you'd said something like "Flintlocks proved to be superior to the archers' weapons." It would have started the inevitable cascade toward chaos as well.

Domino effect. Well-known phenomenon in social change. Your mere mention of archery is just the first domino to fall. Probably if you'd said something like "Flintlocks proved to be superior to the archers' weapons." It would have started the inevitable cascade toward chaos as well.

Are you reading my posts? I was not the first to mention archery. Now please, extinguish your hair so that we can move on.

I’m not a reenactor or living history person, don’t have a “persona”, and don’t own any period clothing.

That being said, I am greatly interested in historical accuracy as it pertains to accesories and shooting/loading methods etc.

I might have on a T-shirt and jeans, but my gun, pouch and horn, and all the various trappings I try to keep as historically correct as possible. It’s just part of the fun and enjoyment for me.

I love this forum and the HC/PC of it, all thought I'm not one of them. I just hunt everything with flintlocks exclusively and do it as traditional as any American colonist, less the garb. I haven't hunted with any unmentionables since my last tour in Iraq in 2009. I practice quite a bit to keep my shooting skills sharp. I love the idea of dressing PC and going to these events but I would have to leave my mountain and that I just can't bring myself to do. I like hearing y'all talk about them here though.

Hi,
When it suits my objectives, I go to great lengths to assure the guns I make are as historically correct in appearance as I can make them, including styles of carving and engraving. I do not want to live in the 18th and 19th centuries and I make my guns with modern conveniences but the appearance at the end looks right such that if I added rust, scratches, and dings, you could put it in museum collection and no one would be the wiser until they read the name and "Braintree Hill" on the barrel. I also provide others with information and advice to help them make authentic appearing guns if they choose. I don't care if someone has different objectives and ignores that advice. That is their prerogative. However, if you claim that your rifle is like those by Jacob Dickert and historically correct, in my opinion, it ought to be like Dickert and historically correct in appearance and hopefully you know what those details should look like. If you claim to build a English fowler from the F&I war period, hopefully, you know what an English fowler would look like from that time. Unfortunately, I've observed many instances at living history events where that was not the case.

dave

Last edited:
I was just at Ft Charters. It was my first juried event, and it was neat to see the camp, and all in good outfits.
Next to me was a bachelor camp, good set.
I got up Saturday morning and stirred up my fire, got my coffee on to boil. About the time it’s cooking the fellow beside me came our also looking for his elixir of the gods. He had a braizer and he set to making a fire. Fat wood in the bottom, chunk charcoal on top. Then he opened a bag he had low on the ground, and hidden by the braizer he stuck a match and lit the edge of the fat wood. Soon he had a nice little fire and his pot of coffee was a cooking.
A cheat? For sure, but it was hidden from view, and I bet he has no trouble striking a light.
can I feel all self righteous over me having built my fire from a coal left over from last nights fire I stuck?
Not too much. Later in the day I entered my tent, closed the door, drew a beer out of my market wallet, poured it in to a period container, then returned to the eighteenth century
We are all out to have fun.

Both for me. I love the historic aspect. Playing dress up just helps me enjoy the whole of the experience
However you look on You Tube you can watch Black Powder TV. All historic first rate guns and shot in a traditional style.
The old boy that does it doesn’t dress out. He just looks like Billy Bob the country boy
This forums for traditional, and that covers TC ‘Hawkins to bench copies’ it’s all fun.

Billy Bob the Country Boy, eh? Billy Bob is town next to me. 😉

Depends on the situation. At historical events like a rendezvous, no, I personally would not like something sticking out like a fiber optic sight or inline. At club shoots however, it's different. I don't mind little things like a fiber optic or maybe even a scope at club shoots, but of course I would prefer something without these modern features. I don't personally like in-lines, but I do think they are a good way to get into traditional muzzleloaders. A newbie with an in-line might gain an interest in traditional muzzleloaders if they were to attend a club shoot and see all the other guys with traditional guns like Hawkens or Lancasters. I think it's important to expose these guys to traditional muzzleloaders just so on that off-chance they are interested they might know a little about them and they might want to learn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back