• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Where do you draw the line on competition knives?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexiKan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
For those of you who throw knives in competition, and have more experience and knowledge in this area--I am seeking your insight.

At the Rendezvous knife competition, what criteria do you consider when a knife is not considered acceptable? The NMLRA rules became our club guidelines and they specify:

Knives must be traditional hunting style of the American frontier from the East coast to the Rocky Mountains with at least one edge sharpened for use back to the hilt. Maximum width of the blade shall not exceed 2 1/2". Overall length shall not exceed 16". The length of the knife handle shall not exceed one third of the overall length of the knife. The knife handle must be thicker than the blade and made of or covered with a natural material. ........ No taped handles.....Final determination of acceptability shall be at the discretion of the Range Officer.

So, when someone shows up with a knife with a plastic handle, chrome blade, or one that looks like it was used by Rambo....... where do you draw the line? Do you accept knives that do not fit the NMLRA rules?

TexiKan
---------------------
A man cannot build a reputation on what he is going to do.

So, when someone shows up with a knife with a plastic handle, chrome blade, or one that looks like it was used by Rambo....... where do you draw the line? Do you accept knives that do not fit the NMLRA rules?

It's up to the people putting on the event. If the rules allows it, I have to accept it, or choose not to participate.

I do favor the NMLRA rules because they are trying to restrict the knives to something that would have actually been used, as opposed to something manufactured just for throwing, which is a rather modern concept.

One- does it look like the guy has ever thrown the knife before? If not, then I would discourage it.
Two- does the knife look like it will hold up to being thrown a few times? Alot of knives look pretty, but a throwing knife takes a lot of abuse. If it looks unsatisfactory, disqualify if for safety reasons. You don't want pieces flying off or cutting the thrower.
Three- Hand the guy a regular throwning knife and see how he holds it. Does he grip it by the blade or handle? Alot of competetions require you to have a handle grip.
Four- Tell them any marks, dings and broken handles are not your responsibility. Specially if throwing a hawk and knife at the same target.

Any of these things will keep some individuals from using their "good ol knife" for throwing demos and contests. Show them how a knife made for this kind of activity works alot bette than one made for skinning, cutting or slicing. You may have a future competetor yet!
:m2c:
mike.

Three- Hand the guy a regular throwning knife and see how he holds it. Does he grip it by the blade or handle? Alot of competetions require you to have a handle grip.
This is something that has always bugged me. Decades ago I learned to throw a knife using a half turn, releasing from the blade. I could get much better accuracy and power that way. Shoot, I even took a couple of groundhogs in my youth with my trusty throwing knife. But I just can't throw very well if required to hold it by the handle and make one complete revolution with it. So what's the deal with the "handle hold" rule at most events?
Jack

Good points. In Weird Jack's case, we would permit a blade hold throw simply because the rules only state "the minimum of one full revolution of the tomahawk or knife is required."

What we have run into was the non traditional looking knives. The other qualifications--taped handles or no covering on the handles--are easier to deal with, but a modern knife not only looks out of place, it is out of place in a period event like this. (The knife version of inlines!! :winking:....uh....I don't want to go there!) As long as it's a knife and they want to throw it, they feel it should be acceptable.

At one event, out of state, a friend did not have a knife as part of the primitive woods walk. He reached into his pocket, pulled out a modern pen knife, and threw it. It stuck, and the range officer permitted it! I don't think there was one revolution, and the plastic handle and chrome blade should not have qualified, either.

After that event, he attempted to use it at our range and I pointed out his knife was not PC and he was required to have one revolution.

Most folks don't have trouble with someone showing them how their knife is not acceptable. But, there is always someone who will argue the point either because they have been allowed elsewhere or are pushing the limits. We have seen this in the hawk competition. Now, for us, it is working its way into the knife competition.

TexiKan

If you continue to do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got.

This is something that has always bugged me. Decades ago I learned to throw a knife using a half turn, releasing from the blade. I could get much better accuracy and power that way. Shoot, I even took a couple of groundhogs in my youth with my trusty throwing knife. But I just can't throw very well if required to hold it by the handle and make one complete revolution with it. So what's the deal with the "handle hold" rule at most events?
Jack
In our competitions (British Columbia) Most clubs follow more or less the same rules as NMLRA, via the BCBPA. Blade vs handle throwing is discouraged, (but not forbidden) because some folks take the 'cutting edge' seriously, and there were injuries among the clumsy. We also require at least one full turn in the air.

Do you accept knives that do not fit the NMLRA rules?
Nope.
I ran the Hawk and Knife toss at a local event for many years (Adult and Youth) and it was just simple to use the NMLRA rules as a "default" guide line.
That doesn't mean you can't "accommodate" someone that show's up with one outside those basic rules.
I would/could loan one to someone that wanted to participate from my personal stash and a few times I helped guy's add a thong or rawhide wrap to the blank "handle" of a homemade blade to make it fit in,,
I always frowned on the blade hold technique but did allow it (with Adults only) IF the guy was adamant and could demonstrate reasonable safe handling.
As mentioned, some guy's are Klutz,, and some show proficiency.
The event was informal enough to announce to the attending group;
"Hey, this guy wants to toss holding the blade, Anyone got a problem?"

Last edited:
It's up to the people putting on the event. If the rules allows it, I have to accept it, or choose not to participate.

I do favor the NMLRA rules because they are trying to restrict the knives to something that would have actually been used, as opposed to something manufactured just for throwing, which is a rather modern concept.
We have to have a level playing field. I don’t throw knifes, but understand the rules based to the sort of event.
I have a rear sight on my smoothies
Thus I can’t shoot in most smoothbore competitions and am at a disadvantage in rifle.
Ok
It’s my choice and I don’t expect the world to conform to my choice.

At a far off rendezvous I normally don’t go to. The rear rivet on my knife handle busted. Leather became loose and sloppy. Since I was only on the third block and my tent was close went back and wrapped the handle with tape. Apparently one of the range masters saw it and told me I couldn’t compete with the wrapped handle. So I told him to write NO SCORE on my H&K card. Problem solved and finished the H&K course. It’s really not a matter of should I be on the course, but if it was an unfair advantage.
Doc,

Back