• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where do you draw the line?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Billy Bob the Country Boy, eh? Billy Bob is town next to me. šŸ˜‰
I didnā€™t mean it as an insult. I grew up in New Mexico, lived thirty years in Arkansa, and now in Missouri
On your vids your dressed like all the ol boys Iā€™ve known all my life.
Glad your back posting.
Just watched your new shooter vids a couple of days ago.šŸ‘

I didnā€™t mean it as an insult. I grew up in New Mexico, lived thirty years in Arkansa, and now in Missouri
On your vids your dressed like all the ol boys Iā€™ve known all my life.
Glad your back posting.
Just watched your new shooter vids a couple of days ago.šŸ‘

Oh, I know you didnā€™t Tenn and I didnā€™t take it as one. That said, I consider myself more of a ā€˜Skeeterā€™ than a Billy Bob.

I'm open to it all, but I know where my place is. I would never go to a traditional shoot where everything was included; however, a friend of mine, who stuttered, put me in my place. He hammered me bad after I had purchased "Well you know" and it took him a long time to get the sentence out. He did softened after a while and the grandkid have both of those guns for some of their hunting. No, I didn't give them to them, only to borrow. The thing I show contempt for is powder substitutes. WHY WOULD ANYONE USE ANYTHING BUT REAL BLACK POWDER šŸ˜Š . To each their own I guess.

And another thing I despise is the the TC Hawken. If you live in the Rocky Mountains and your Hawken doesn't weigh 10 to 12 pounds it isn't a real Hawken. If your arm doesn't feel as if it is falling off after hunting all day, it isn't a Hawken. I don't care what the barrel says.

Everyone that knows anything about me knows I'm into muzzleloaders for only one reason, to hunt. I do own a couple of inlines. I'm not going to call them unmentionable.
I don't use them for muzzleloader only hunts. I use them for only one hunt, and its a short range weapon hunt. That hunt is one where I use a boat. If I drop it overboard I could replace it. I can't replace my sidelock rifles.

To some guys I'm using rifles from the stone age. To others they are Buck Roger's guns. I don't try or want to be HC/PC. I'm not against that. I just don't care about it at all. But my guns, and loads are actually derived from a gun, and load from the past, the Whitworth. While they are not true Whitworth rifles or loads but they are within the nature.

A lot of you know I use a Hot Rod Hawken, or a Hot Rod Renegade to hunt with. They are traditional looking sidelock rifles with something else under the "hood".
These rifles were and are intended to be used in traditional muzzleloader hunts in the west. They are accepted in every western hunt I would potentially go on.
When I put in for a muzzleloader hunt I'm taking a rifle that I have so much confidence in that I don't consider what anyone else is using as "competition" or unfare advantage. I don't care if someone is using a scope on an inline, or if they use a Sabot. I have put together a shooting system that gives me the best opportunity to harvest an animal within the rules of the hunt. What someone else uses is of no consideration.

Many guys that are HC/PC condemn my rifles. Even moderators on this site have came forward with this Righteous condemnation knowing full well that my rifles and load are within the rules of this site.
They look at my rifles as being unfair to hunt against.

The original post makes me laugh. Many HC/PC guys condemn a guy for something, but at the same time claim the high road because they locked the electronic key in their truck with a push button entry system.

They hide CPAP machines, and coolers but condemn a coffee cup that isn't HC/PC.
I've been around HC/PC reinactors. I've seen their secrets.
Every HC/PC guy has their secret. And because they believe that their level of cheating is acceptable.
The car key in their pocket is okay because it's not electronic. Or the CPAP machine is okay because they need it to get a good night's sleep, and it's not seen in camp.

I went to a turkey shoot one time 25+ years ago. The shoot never said one thing about restrictions. I showed up with an inline rifle. I use patched round balls because I knew that the guy putting it on didn't want his steel targets shot with bullets or sabots.
I won a turkey, and got second place at the shoot.

It was then the club made rules to outlaw rifles like mine. I borrowed a TC Hawken after that and Shot in 3 club shoots. I tied for 3rd place shooter of the year with my scores from just 3 shoots.
Some club members pointed out that the person behind the rifle might actually be a bigger factor than the gun.

When someone says that what you use is unacceptable, but what I use is okay are guys I tend to not want anything to do with.

I think if you reread my original post I was asking where YOU draw the line in regards to YOUR muzzle loading firearm and you have made it plain where that is. You obviously are not interested in the historical side of the sport, good for you.

The part about leaving my keys in the truck was referencing a flintlock only woods walk where the judges went through your stuff and points were deducted from your score for any modern items in your pack or shooting bag. They also asked participants to do random things, pull a ball, set a trap using available materials etc. Basically a test of your 18th century skills and to earn points.

No offence was intended nor was I taking the high ground I was just relating an interesting shoot with what I thought were fun rules set by the judges.

Geeze, I guess I took the post to lite-hearted. I enjoyed the answers and could care less what someone else was using. I know what I like which is the history of muzzleloading and accurate period guns, but I am not above indulging in fudging. I have an accurate Kit Carson looking Hawken with a 28"twist. You all know what kind of slug that requires to get an excellent group. If you are a purist great. I am at fishing- - flip a fly or nothing. šŸ˜Š šŸ˜Š

Geeze, I guess I took the post to lite-hearted.
I guess I have had too many altercations with HC/PC guys.
When the topic comes up so do my hackles. Mostly because their rigs were perfect and everyone else was a poser. The guys with perfect camps and rigging often had secrets like coolers in wooden boxes. CPAP machines that they turned on after everyone else was asleep.
Others set up their perfect camps and slept in a 5th wheel a mile away.
I'm the guy who could care less. I don't care what a guy uses. But if a guy is patting him self on the shoulder about how HC/PC he is then be it. Don't cheat.

Got to ask what does HC/PC and CPAP mean? I am not of the abbreviation generation and not a buckskinner.

Reactions: LME
cpap... continuous positive airway pressure ( a medical device )
HC ... Historically correct
PC ... period correct

Traditional all the way. No plastic. No synthetics unless made to appear
exactly like the natural historical structure. Prefer Real wood only.

I don't use anything off the list from post #1. I try to keep my equipment as traditional as possible. Unfortunately no ML clubs within 100 miles of me and I don't reenact. Just try to stay as traditional as possible with my ml guns because that's what I want to do.

(Skeeter....that's awesome)

When it comes to blackpowder & muzzleloadingā€¦very traditional & historic. With that being said, I still enjoy taking my ole CVA Mountain Rifle out to the range...often. I guessā€¦I like side locksā€¦mostly flintlocks

Last edited:
I dont reenact because there aint much of that going on around here that i know of. All the F&I and Rev and Civil War stuff happened no where near me and there just isnt any.

My main thing is guns, all periods too and i like my guns to be as ā€œcorrectā€ as possible no matter the period. I dont do modern BP type stuff because if i want modern tools i will use one, got plenty.

I like history and when i have a historic gun, even a replica, thats like holding history to me.

Thats just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back