• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's wrong with this picture?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is scary. Is there anyone brave enough to fire this rifle without a long string and a stout tree? Semper Fi.

1689336448937.png

1689350729091.png

Last edited:
Maybe the OP can spell it out.

Cuzz I'm not seeing it.

I have several barrels where the tang screw goes through the plug and is secured by a plate in the stock. My face and digits have yet to be altered.

Attachments

• IMG_2964.JPG
    IMG_2964.JPG
    881.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2966.JPG
    IMG_2966.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Where is the end of the breechplug with respect to the drum?
Is the breech chambered? Probably not.

If the breechplug is solid where the lock bolt goes through it, the breech should be safe as @64Springer shows with his breech.

My concern is that there is a large gap between the drum entering the face of the breech plug. In the event of a dry ball, there is no way other than pulling ball with a ball puller to remove a stuck ball. The dry ball would block any charge behind the ball, compressed gas or even the grease gun being able to push the ball out.

On the left side if that is a lock plate bolt it looks like it is way to high. Barely any wood above the bolt. Appears the edge of the bolt actually extends above the wood.

Last edited:
At first glace the lock screw looks like it's hole is drilled through the barrel. The drum is well forward of where it should be... if everything behind the drum is a solid breech plug it might be safe---but I would certainly take everything apart and pull the breechplug before shooting it to be sure.

Back