• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pawnshop find , what is it ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, @ Jaeger, I did. And I ate every bit of her too! Though, the deer in question is not a Bambi fawn. This is a first-year Chital hind, otherwise known as Axis Deer. Some say they are the prettiest of all the deer species. They were introduced into Queensland, Australia, back in the mid 1800s, from India (where they originate from). She yielded thirty kilos of lean meat including backstraps, rolled-belly roasts, shoulders, neck, rump and legs. Herewith, immediately below, for you, an example of a Chital fawn, which I don't shoot, as they are far too soft and not big enough for a decent sandwich ;). The stags I let go too, as they can be very lean, a little gamey and not as tender; young does without milk, or young at foot, are supreme. Mind, a tiger in India wouldn't pass any of them up!

For the original poster, my Pedersoli .54 Rocky Mountain Hawken, with one in sixty twist, is my favourite round ball rifle for stalking.

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 298705

View attachment 298712View attachment 298711
We have those here in Southwest Florida along the Peace River valley. Most people say they got away from a high fence ranch during hurricane Charley in 2004.

They are considered feral with no bag limit much like hogs. Many years ago I had hiked a good piece down the Peace River which is pretty remote at that point. I was sitting on the bank taking a little break and across the river outstepped a big Axis deer buck with a magnificent rack and several does following..... Naturally I did not have a gun with me. They were only about a hundred foot away.

Whatever the rifle is - that's a lovely piece of Maple;
My 'best' find was a Pedersoli Tryon in 54 which came off an auction site here in NZ - I paid NZ$250 and it came with a mould; caps and a case! Somedays you just have to get lucky.
Enjoy shooting your 'Hawken'

Latest posts

Back