• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight Inletting on Enfield Pattern Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a PH Whitworth that I am going to inlet for a tang sight and it’s base. The base is 1/4 thick, and the bottom of the sight is probably 3/16. It’s 1 1/2 inches long and I plan to inlet it right in front of the checkering. Does anyone know if there is enough wood to do this without getting into the lock mechanism? I’ll post a picture of one similar to what I want to do.

Attachments

• IMG_2931.png
    IMG_2931.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
I have a PH Whitworth that I am going to inlet for a tang sight and it’s base. The base is 1/4 thick, and the bottom of the sight is probably 3/16. It’s 1 1/2 inches long and I plan to inlet it right in front of the checkering. Does anyone know if there is enough wood to do this without getting into the lock mechanism? I’ll post a picture of one similar to what I want to do.
You might take a look at this thread. Want to put a Vernier rear sight on a Parker Hale Whitworth Research Press,in particular knows these rifles inside and out.

With respect, pull the lock and measure the depth of your lock internals.

Then do some quick math to see if there will be lock/sight interference.
Yes I do need to do that. Last time I pulled the barrel off I tried to get the lock plate out, but the fit is so tight it wouldn’t budge. I didn’t want to splinter or damage the wood, so I didn’t force it too hard. I don’t believe it has ever been taken out before.

With the natural movement of a wood stock with humidity, wouldn't that effect the sight once you had zero? I thought that was why these where attached to the metal tangs on guns, a more stable surface to mount on? Just curious.

Yes I do need to do that. Last time I pulled the barrel off I tried to get the lock plate out, but the fit is so tight it wouldn’t budge. I didn’t want to splinter or damage the wood, so I didn’t force it too hard. I don’t believe it has ever been taken out before.
Losen up the lock plate screws and gently tap them with a soft faced mallet.

That will help push the lock out its mortise.

A bit of lubricant on the edges of the lock plate wouldn't hurt either.

Good luck with her.

With the natural movement of a wood stock with humidity, wouldn't that effect the sight once you had zero? I thought that was why these where attached to the metal tangs on guns, a more stable surface to mount on? Just curious.
That’s something I haven’t thought of; however, I know people do it and seem to have good results.

I mount the Soule sight bases half on the tang and half on the wood at the wrist to the tc rifles and have not noticed anything of the sort. On the Whitworth, Gibbs, and Volunteer rifles there’s not a long enough tang to mount it to either.

On unmentionables it’s frowned upon to mount to wood for the reason you mentioned. I’m surprised a target rifle would mount to wood. I’d be looking at making an extension that mounts with the tang screw and overhangs the wood. Then again, my shooting wouldn’t make much difference. 🤣

On unmentionables it’s frowned upon to mount to wood for the reason you mentioned. I’m surprised a target rifle would mount to wood. I’d be looking at making an extension that mounts with the tang screw and overhangs the wood. Then again, my shooting wouldn’t make much difference. 🤣
With an overhang extension you most likely wouldn’t be able to get a 100 yard zero. It would probably be more like a 200-300 yard zero.

Mine had enough wood to do it with no problem. If you leave the tangent sight on the barrel, it can be sort of a reality check on the tang sight migrating with humidity changes in the wood.

Back