• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's wrong with this picture?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not without doing some measuring and inspecting first. Looks like it could be a patent breech for a flintlock. If it is that lock screw could be a big problem.

I'm curious, would an experienced and knowledgeable builder build a gun that way? With the bolt through the breach plug.
It's not drilled through the breech plug.

Drilling through the breech plug would be drilling through the barrel portion of the breech.

Nothing at all dangerous about that rifle.

Yes, it is, I saw a previous picture that is no longer available. Showing hole for lock screw clear thru end of barrel, passing through breech plug. Judging from the head of the bolt in relation to the barrel, how do you think a bolt gets to the lockplate?

LOCK BOLD BAD.jpg

The lock bolt clearly is forward and into the breech plug, OR it runs beneath, but when looking at the profile view, it goes through the barrel.

LOCK BOLD BAD B.jpg

LD

So does this one and I have shot it hundreds of times.

I did take the plug out to inspect and it is sealed well against a shoulder at the end of the threads, there is no fire channel, and the TH liner threads are forward of the shoulder.

20230715_114054.jpg

Yes, it is, I saw a previous picture that is no longer available. Showing hole for lock screw clear thru end of barrel, passing through breech plug. Judging from the head of the bolt in relation to the barrel, how do you think a bolt gets to the lockplate?
I thought he was talking about the tang screw.

Are you saying it's dangerous to run the lock screw through the breech plug?

A lot of times people are building with a gaggle of random parts.

I can't count the times I've had to rob Peter to pay Paul just to get things lined up and functioning correctly.

Last edited:
Make the hole a little oversized, no problem. I don't like it when wood screws are used to secure the tang, sure recipe for cracks and loose screw. This also helps keep stuff from moving around too much under recoil....
That's, umm, 1805 era correct special secret gunsmith filler glue, lab analysis revealed it to he strikingly similar to a product used today, proving there is nothing new under the sun. 😜

20230108_203236.jpg

Make the hole a little oversized, no problem. I don't like it when wood screws are used to secure the tang, sure recipe for cracks and loose screw. This also helps keep stuff from moving around too much under recoil....
That's, umm, 1805 era correct special secret gunsmith filler glue, lab analysis revealed it to he strikingly similar to a product used today, proving there is nothing new under the sun. 😜

View attachment 236309
how come you get smiley faces and i don't??? i must have tee'd someone off again!

You might have turned BB code off. I just go to the second set of three vertical dots from the left, click on it, and smileys are in the resulting drop down bar. Third set of vertical dots, pair of brackets facing each other, should turn it on again.

Oh I know....it's one of those tricky percussion cappy hammer smash thingies without a piece of rock in the cock or a frizzen. Yeah I wouldn't fire that either. : )

S>

I just realized that the preponderance of the barrels i have acquired with this type goof, are Green Mountain! suppose people buy them because they are good, then mess up and realize their upscrew and sell them.
a solid plug treated this way, though not right, will work. plugs with a patent breech are trouble if done so.

View attachment 236309

looks like muskrat squeezin’s from here.

Latest posts

Back