• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to use for a powder measure?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no. as long as you have a scale and can weigh the powder or how would you know where to mark it???.. it takes time to work up a load for your rifle. an adjustable powder measure is much easier to use than a scale.cheaper too. also what are you counting????
Make dippers using one of those fad brass tube looking things, with a brass wire soldered on for a handle.
. The Dixie catalog back in the information section has a table showing the volume of different calibers..
Good luck.
Bunk

Make dippers using one of those fad brass tube looking things, with a brass wire soldered on for a handle.
. The Dixie catalog back in the information section has a table showing the volume of different calibers..
Good luck.
Bunk

Good luck.
Bunk
Made a 70 gr. measure out of a 300 win mag case that I picked up at the range. Cut off the neck using my harbor freight mini chop saw. then deburred it with a RCBS deburring tool. Will try this as a hunting load in my 45 Kibler.

But the “volume” is actually based on “weight “.
beats me I just work on volume not weight. I know 17 grains FFFg fills my .36 paper cartridge to the base of the bullet.
I have never weighed that charge. With that smokessomewhatless fad heathen stuff i will admit those charges aare weighed and I have n idea of the volume
Bunk

I've made measures from antler, centerfire cases, river cane, wood and probably other stuff as well. Use an adjustable measure when working up loads; and when you find your most accurate load use one of these materials to make a measure that holds that one particular amount of powder.

I have been following your discussion about powder, charge size and equipment to pour charges,
from Germany. (I have been shooting black since 1970).
Mostly on German ranges, which as a rule allow only shooting at standardized paper targets.

Blackpowder shooters in Germany have to pay heed to a voluminous list of regulations, the Sportordnung, which is edited, amended and re-published annually (!) by the Deutscher Schützenbund, the head organisation which operates nearly all shooting ranges in Germany.

Those rules go very much into detail. I am explaining a few of those below,
in case any of you guys should ever want to shoot blackpowder during a trip to Europe.

One predominant rule is n e v e r to bring a powder horn, flask or other container
with powder inside to the range.

Range officers have warned me to not even bring cornmeal ("semolina") in a powder flask
(I often use a few grains of corn meal as over charge media, or separator,
intended to keep the powder charge dry, after using soaked cleaning patches to wipe the barrel between shots.I have switched to using lightly greased wads cut from thick cardboard since a long discussion with an official at the state championship matches...heated discussions don't help my scores).

For safety reasons, German shooters are required to use small containers each containing
j u s t o n e charge. Thus, most shooters in Europe (we have seen guest competitors from nearly all neighboring countries) use small tubes made from glas or clear plastic with a plastic plug.
I prefer glas tubes (like small test tubes) over plastic, continues use deposit residue on the surface of plastic (which should be of antistatic quality). Few "traditionalists" use spent metal cartridges with a fitted wooden or cork plug on top.
For flintlock enthusiasts (like me): no priming horns are allowed. You have to bring your priming powder in special chargers with a self-closing spout,
containing a maximum of 16,2 grams (which reads 250 grains in the US of A).

Again, the Sportordnung is very specific! If you need more than those 16,2 grams
(which I needed in past years when I was competivly shooting flintlock muskets with their larger pans),
you need to get yourself another, or even three of those charging flasks. You are not allowed to refill your priming charger on stage, remember, no bulk powder on range!)
Standard competitions in Germany are 15 shots in 40 minutes (following a preparatory lap, in which you can blow primers, fire testing shots at a prepping target, re-knap your flint, or just poke your nose).

15 shot matches apply to all competitive matches - while the safety rules below also apply
to the informal matches and competitions, such as at "historic shooting events",
where you can buy re-entry series with 4 to 6 shots, limited only by your wallet or range hours.
At these "open tournaments" only, period clothing is welcome (still no powder horns!).

Wearing your colonial period or western clothing will have you barred from official championships
(if need be I'll try and explain the reasoning behind that rule in a separate discussion).

Dropping powder on the ground or the loading bench is another no-no.

As soon as your charge is down the barrel, you need to hang on to your firearm - never put it down.

You must cover your priming device as soon as you have finished priming, with a rag, or pocket it
(same goes for your primer caps, if you are a percussion shooter).

Blowing down your barrel after shots is another no-no, will have you disqualified.

These are not all, just some of the major rules around shooting in Germany.
You are very welcome to join us, at any time!

Back