• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cornstalk has inspired me, as it has been a while since I made a bag. Just ordered a tanned beaver tail and 13 sq. foot of tanned elk, going to make a bag. Was really impressed with his.

Went back to a pawn shop with my brother to look at a TC Renegade 50 cal. It had been their for over a year. He talked them down to $300. It’s been well cared for! Nice shiny barrel! It will be a birthday gift for his son in September.

Dropped a unused .50 cal Lee mold in the mail (actually UPS) today and send it to a fellow member (who also happens to be aTexan) I hope he gets some enjoyment out of it. It's not new but I never got around to using it.

Today I made up some bullets. I hope to shoot them out to 1/2 mile.

Attachments

• 20220225_112334.jpg
    20220225_112334.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220225_113828.jpg
    20220225_113828.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220225_112359.jpg
    20220225_112359.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 26
Inlet a T/C lock into an old AMR shotgun. Lock will set flush once I put the proper screws in the sear / tumbler plate, currently using an allen head screw as a replacement and they are too deep. Also, added a little walnut stain to the stock just to see the grain.

I may go ahead and put the stain and Tru-oil finish on the stock this weekend while waiting on a breech plug.

20220225_181442.jpg
20220225_181432.jpg
20220225_182729.jpg

We are unable to leave our home .. iced in. So, cooked breakfast for Betty [and me]. Surfed the forum for a while. Made lunch, took a nap, baked a cake, surfed the forum and a couple of gun sale sites. Had some snacks. Surfed forum again. Made toasted ham and cheese sandwiches. Watched news, Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Watched the OK Thunder beat Indiana in overtime; great game. Surfed the net and now back to ML Forum. How is that for a boring day? Well, I did shine up a Santa Fe Hawken while watching the game. Polecat

I stripped apart my wife’s old TC stock in preparation for sanding and re staining. This 50 cal TC Hawken was purchased from a pawn shop and mailed to us. Time to refinish this piece and possibly purchase a new GM barrel for it.

Work on new rifle stock.We got it trued up on side and top flat center line put in place. Ill get my 40 cal barrel from Rice in few weeks

First attempt to get from the car to the range was a failure. Too much ice on the steps to get down onto the covered range level. :dunno: Day 2.....Take neighbor , double bit ax , coal shovel and ice scaling tool , and chopped , shoveled , and scaled enough of the 10" deep ice off the steps and walk way. My 75 yr. old body is done for the day. Day 3.........Take 58 Jager to the range , Fired about 10 shots and sort-of adjusted the sights , but the sight picture became corrupted due to the thickening mucous on my eye balls. Went home to analyze the problem. :ghostly: Day.......4 .......Widened the slot in the rear sight to allow more discernment of the front sight. Put a 1/2" square of black electrical tape w/ 1/8" peep hole in it , on my glasses to make a peep sight . Amazingly, the sight picture was perfectly visible like they were when I was 25 yrs. old. To the gun range... The front of the gun range , was like a hockey rink with smooth ice , since the 1" of fresh snow melted from it. Put a home made target holder out w/in 5 yds. of the 50 yd mark to 45 yds.. Too dangerous for this old man to get closer to 50 yd. s. Fired about 8 shots fine tuning the sights. Success ,under these conditions , a five inch group had to be good enough. My eyes got blurry from the cold temps again , so couldn't play with powder charges to further tune the rifle. Getz barrel....,562 ball...........Mic. checked.....013 lightly greased patch. ........ 85 gr. FFG..............oldwood...:thumb:

Starting restoration on an antique canvas covered wooden shotgun case. English 12 bore fits nicely. Dried, cracked leather's gonna be a problem. Honestly can't remember when/where this came from. Hadn't seen it since '04 when we moved. Label inside lid's missing. Dixie has repro's. Hmmm. Tempting.

My rifle club held it’s monthly, traditional muzzleloader shoot today. Good fellowship, good food and some shooting. Brought the 10 gauge SXS and a couple of the guys wanted to shoot her. 90 grains of Swiss FFg and 1 5/8 ounce of copper #6s throws a nice pattern, some surprising recoil for the first shooter as well :D Mostly shot my TC Hawken.

Decided to remove an unsafe section of barrel from an old AMR shotgun. I previously cut the breech plug out with a chop saw, the plug could not be removed properly even after an extended Kroil soak. Exposing to my surprise, a thin wall area of the barrel that was threaded excessively beyond what was necessary with the flashole drilled through the internal threads. Although made in Spain and it had proof marks, I cannot help but feel that I must value my face somewhat more than the European craftsman values my face.

20220111_175228.jpg

20220209_195935.jpg

After removing the flat area of the barrel and the unnecessarily deep threads. I faced the barrel in preparation for it to be threaded.

20220226_100011.jpg

Unfortunately for me, I did not have a the proper tap to complete the threads to the bottom, so I ordered one. Won't be here for a week to 10 days.

20220226_113806.jpg

Latest posts

Back