• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Special Finds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
"Special Finds", a gun you had been looking for, an unexpected find you couldn't pass up, or maybe an out of prduction gun you regret having not purchased. I think you get the idea.

Mine? Actually I have a couple but, to me, the best one was .50 caliber walnut halfstock caplock Hawken made up by Robert Richey of Lewistown, Montana. As well known gun builders go Richey may not ring a bell with you. I don't believe he advertised his gun making talent for sale. I ran across him when I was a young man in 1978. I'd been shooting my T/C Hawken for at least two years by then and was in the early throws of my blackpowder shooting addiction. I met him through and older fellow, who had to be at least 30, who Richey was just finishing a Leman rifle for. From that point on I would visit Richey when I could find him in his shop.

If I recall correctly Richey, let's just call him Bob, had built his first guns for himself and a close friend for them to hunt deer together. His friend has since died of a diabetes related condition. I believe Bob also suffered the same ailment. Anyway I left Lewistown for Sedalia, MO before I could work a way of having Bob build me a Leman gun. Had I the money at the time it might have happened. My later adventures would find me back ln Montana, eastern this time. I checked for Bob from time to time but never reconnected. I later heard Bob had passed.

Like others I scan the web in search of classic muzzleloaders. About 10 years ago I happened across the Hawken rifle built by and marked Robert Richey with a cross figure following it. The condition, not perfect, and price worked for me, plus it was a Robert Richey build. I bought it on the spot. I had to lap the barrel a bit but it shoots well.

I never thought I see another Robert Richey gun until a lucked into this special find. Do you have a special find story to share?

I scored a two-band rifle musket advertised as an 1863 Remington (ok...they just called it a Zouave...whatever) on GB. Upon further inspection of pics, it was clearly an 1841 Mississippi. Got it for no more than any other plain jane Zouave you'd find. Clearly the seller wasn't properly versed in the differences between the two models.

I got it home, checked the stamps....Zoli made in 1964! (Same year as me).

Love that rifle and it's a great shooter.

The elusive gun for me was they 25th Anniversary T/C Hawken. I was born in 1970, and married for 5 years by 1995. It seemed like the perfect collectors item designed specifically for me! Anyway, in 1995 my wife and I were saving for our 1st house and wanting to start a family so such a frivolous purchase didn't fit our current budget. I was heartbroken having not purchased one. A couple years ago I went to a pre-show of an auction. Having marked down a few guns to look at, it took me by total surprise that a new, unfired Thompson / Center .54 caliber Anniversary Hawken was setting there. It was not marked on the listing as new, or an Anniversary model and with the poor lighting the pictures didn't do it justice. At the end of the day, I had purchased it for less than half of what I was willing to pay.

I don't know that it was a special find per se but I did make a nice score last spring... A pawn shop I check periodically had purchased an Estate collection of 80 +/- various guns of all types and after he picked out the ones he wanted to keep for himself (he's also a B/P guy) he put the rest up in his shop... Anyway, long story short I was in there and saw that he had a pair of Pedersoli Pennsylvania .50 cal longrifles (1 flint and 1 percussion) in perfect condition asking 450 ea... I walked out with the flint for 350 and said I needed to think about the cap gun but not to hold it for me if someone else showed an interest, plus I'm not completely sure how the boss would react if I walked in the house with 2 new guns... Went back a week or so later and it was still there so the cap gun came home with me for the same as the flint... Both were in un-fired condition for 700 and the ser #'s were from 2008 according to Pedersoli... Needless to say they are no longer un-fired and they each cost me less than the Trad. Woodsman .50 that I started with in 1990...

Attachments

• 20230707_153212.jpg
    20230707_153212.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back