• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Flintlock - Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had two Dixie SMR's. The flint .50 was a rough one when I got it, but the bore was good. Miroku. Dixie was most helpful when I called. They said they no longer stock parts and screws are metric. All-in-all, both were good experiences. Doubled my investment on the flint .50. That was pleasant.

I went to the Baltimore show for years and one time I carried a Belgian percussion musket with a for sale sign on it and a Model 1822 percussion pistol slung around my neck. I was selling these for a friend. I didn't make it down one aisle and the musket was sold. In the second aisle, the pistol was sold. My friend was ecstatic.

On another trip, I bought a Springfield Armory M2 .22 military training rifle for a good price. I'll probably die with that one.

On to Dixie locks. I had a small Dixie lock I bought in the early 80s and finally got around to building the rifle last winter. The lock was an indifferent sparker so last week I took it up to Brad Emig to hopefully work some magic on it. I'm screwed if he can't. The new locks are too long to fit the moldings.

I had a copy of that same rifle. It was the first one I owned. Mechanically, it never failed me; sparked well, and the triggers were good enough. My only complaint was that with a 15/16" wide parallel sided barrel, it was quite muzzle heavy. In hindsight, it would have made a great bench gun.
I had my barrel shortened by about 9" or so.

Latest posts

Back