• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the name of this part of a rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooddaytoya!

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'll try to post this picture: It's the part that is soldered to the barrel to hold the rings/tubes that hold the ramrod. Let me guess at the name: Stuntzel?? LOL I had to solder it back on and it was a b**** of a job.
IMG_20211009_140138838~2.jpg

The long metal part is called a rib or under-rib, and is a mounting place for one or two ramrod ferrules, which stow the ramrod. I have seen ribs attached to the barrel with screws or silver solder, and know of one that was attached with Loctite Black Max adhesive. Ferrules are attached to the rib with solder, or screws from the top of the rib.

The under-rib became popular with the advent of shorter, heavier barreled, half-stock rifles. The first one I know of was the 1803 Harpers Ferry Rifle, tho' others here may know of earlier examples. Many gunsmiths built half-stock rifles for the Rocky Mountain fur trade.

Latest posts

Back