• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

M1861 Springfield - Sporterized shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millford_P

32 Cal
Reaction score
Here's a M1861 Springfield that was sporterized into a shotgun sometime post war.

The stock was trimmed down, with a small piece of walnut added to the bottom of the barrel to support the rammer - which I assume would have also been wood, considering the large size of the ramrod pipes. It looks like the gunsmith reused a rear entry pipe from a much older fowler, likely from the early 19th century. Interestingly, he also used a shotgun style key to hold the barrel on, as opposed to the existing lower barrel band. It's developed a very nice dark chocolate colored patina over time, not a bit of blueing on it despite the nearly black barrel!

I remember that man I bought it from had mentioned that his father had just kept it hanging on the wall for the better part of 75 years. I'd like to imagine that the solder who brought this home from the war was himself the one who hunted fowl with it in his later years, but I suppose one will never know!

IMG_3574.jpg
IMG_3575.jpgIMG_3576.jpgIMG_3577.jpgIMG_3578.jpgIMG_3579.jpgIMG_3580.jpg

Many of these muskets were converted to shotguns by many companies and sold by mail order from 1870’s- early 1900’s. Cartridges were expensive, and so were new guns. The old guy I worked for in high school hunted with one in the 1940’s!

has the barrel been cut down, does not look like it since it still has a front sight?
Nope, full length barrel. It was rebored into a smoothbore shotgun but the gunsmith maintained the original length. I'd guess the caliber is somewhere around 60cal now? I haven't measured though.

Back