• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buggered screw purpose?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is missing the ram rod. The length of the barrel is 29 inches not including the tang that holds the barrel in the stock. It is marked 50 Cal. Any one have an idea of the length and diameter of the ram rod that was original to this rifle?

You got some good advice up above (filing it smooth).

I have a new-old-stock still sealed-in-original-package Treso ram rod (the aftermarket synthetic version) made for the TC Hawken; PM me if you are interested and I'll sell it to you for the bargain price of $10 to cover postage & handling. $10 shipped is your total cost.

And if needed, I can add a picture of it (with my user name & date) here on this posting to confirm I have it to sell.

Old No7

I have acquired a Thompson/Center Hawkens style muzzle loader recently and am posting a picture of its barrel. There is a screw that is all buggered up with a red arrow pointing to it. I would like to know its purpose. Does it hold something together or is it covering a clean out hole. It looks like someone attempted to remove it without much luck. I believe that it is rusted in place. I have soaked it for days now with liquid wrench but have had not much luck removing it. As you can see from the photo there is not much left of the original slot on the screw. I may have to take it to a gunsmith to remove it.
It is missing the ram rod. The length of the barrel is 29 inches not including the tang that holds the barrel in the stock. It is marked 50 Cal. Any one have an idea of the length and diameter of the ram rod that was original to this rifle?
Its true purpose is to start arguments on Internet forums. One of Warren Centers more successful patents frankly.

I agree with most of the comments - I don't think it is a 'clean-out' screw at all; for some reason some people want to pull their gun down every time they clean it after shooting; so out comes this screw because someone has said it's a 'clean out screw' - the nipple usually comes out too; so after a while threads get loose and gas starts leaking or worse the nipple or the screw exit the gun. For a drum I usually drill them 'Blind' so there is no screw visible or a patent breech I will drill from the off-side and blank the hole off - looks much cleaner> I won't change a nipple until I get a fall-off in accuracy or excessive blow by at the nipple or hammer push back. If you can live with it the way it is just carry on - if not get it replaced then forget about it- but have fun!!

Well, OK. If you say so. I'm not real familiar with the T/C rifles as mine are Lymans, and yes, the Lyman does have a clean out screw. I use it every time I clean the rifle.
I stand corrected.
I sense you may not believe me. I’m only repeating what TC customer service told me. Probably shouldn’t have trusted or believed them. And just for giggles and kicks, here are photographs of two TC barrels, showing the left and right side of each barrel. Both barrels have the ‘clean out’ screw, one on the nipple side, the other opposite of the nipple. Question is, how is it suggested to remove the clean out screw that is opposite the nipple every time for cleaning (that would be the top barrel in the photographs)?
1705032804436.jpeg

1705032880163.jpeg

Just a side note, the screw in the TC ‘clean out’ hole was made of relatively soft steel and easily damaged. Don’t no how many compromised ones I have seen over the years.
1705033205721.jpeg

I sense you may not believe me. I’m only repeating what TC customer service told me. Probably shouldn’t have trusted or believed them.
No sir, not saying that. I'm saying I'm very familiar with my Lyman, but not the T/C. Don't own one and never have, so my observance was compared to the Lyman.

We believe you, @SDSmlf. In T/C's book that came with the rifle, it was identified as a clean out screw. I have no clue on how many breech plugs were replaced under the lifetime warranty before that plug was moved to the other side of the barrel. You get a complete flush through the breech when you remove the nipple. In the case of a dry ball, plenty of powder can be inserted under the nipple. Leave that appendix of a screw alone.

I sense you may not believe me. I’m only repeating what TC customer service told me. Probably shouldn’t have trusted or believed them. And just for giggles and kicks, here are photographs of two TC barrels, showing the left and right side of each barrel. Both barrels have the ‘clean out’ screw, one on the nipple side, the other opposite of the nipple. Question is, how is it suggested to remove the clean out screw that is opposite the nipple every time for cleaning (that would be the top barrel in the photographs)?
View attachment 284664
View attachment 284665
Just a side note, the screw in the TC ‘clean out’ hole was made of relatively soft steel and easily damaged. Don’t no how many compromised ones I have seen over the years.
View attachment 284667
You’re gonna need a very special turn screw for that one…

Be wary of the condition of the threads if you remove a badly rusted/corroded nipple or bolster screw. Both have been known to blow out. If the fit is very loose, IMPO, drill and retap to a larger size. TOTW sells an oversize nipple for this. You can order more popcorn from me.

mine are Lymans, and yes, the Lyman does have a clean out screw. I use it every time I clean the rifle.
I stand corrected.
The point is, some have them, some don't.
If cared for they work. But they are not needed.
Some have them that are neglected, then they're not needed.
I think what they call this is an "empirical" point.
If it's there and works, use it and care for it.
If it's not there then keep on cleaning as you always have.
If it's there and seized or damaged, leave it alone, and clean like those that don't have one, :thumb:

Otherwise, how has this topic of "clean-out" screw,, it's need, it's presence, it's worth,, been so lost?
Why can't the need for basic cleaning be understood,, and the lack of be blamed on that freaking little screw?
CVA, Traditions, T/C,, it don't matter,,(?)
And they all wanna get that screw out to improve ignition,,,, :dunno:

Last edited:
It is NOT a clean out screw. It is a byproduct of the TC early manufacturing process to connect the nipple hole and bore. At some point TC started drilling that connecting hole from the nipple to the breech area in the bore from the side opposite the nipple (and ground off the screw slot) after years of warranty claims with buggered up screws in this so called ‘clean out’ hole. If one stays at it, they can bugger up this set screw if they are really determined, but why? Clean it up the best you can, then leave it alone and enjoy shooting the gun.
I seem to remember the TC Hawken owners manual calling it a “clean out screw”🥴

I have acquired a Thompson/Center Hawkens style muzzle loader recently and am posting a picture of its barrel. There is a screw that is all buggered up with a red arrow pointing to it. I would like to know its purpose. Does it hold something together or is it covering a clean out hole. It looks like someone attempted to remove it without much luck. I believe that it is rusted in place. I have soaked it for days now with liquid wrench but have had not much luck removing it. As you can see from the photo there is not much left of the original slot on the screw. I may have to take it to a gunsmith to remove it.

If you really want that screw out, i would get a screw extractor, drill it in there, then unbreech it and hit it with a propane torch Until is red, then unscrew it while its red hot.

I’ve done this on original guns.

Or just send it to a barrel company, rice or Hoyt will do it.

Otherwise, I’d leave it alone if nots keeping you from shooting the gun.

In T/C's book that came with the rifle, it was identified as a clean out screw.
I seem to remember the TC Hawken owners manual calling it a “clean out screw”
🥴
Believe you both are correct. Turn the page in that book and TC also said to season the bore with Bore Butter, something I don’t do, but it is in the same book, so it must be???? And let’s not forget TC gave instructions on how to adjust their gun’s double set trigger that could break trigger sears. Knuckleheads still post YouTube videos on the procedure.

Latest posts

Back