• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is needed in your bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything you can think of including the kitchen sink. If you have a screw in vent then you need a tool to unscrew it too. A nipple wrench if percussion. A patch knife, patch material, lube, jags and other tools for the ramrod too, cleaning patches, spare flints or percussion caps, extra frizzen or nipple, a fire starting kit and a Bic just in case, some pipe cleaners are handy too, powder and or shot measuring tools. Parachute cord as well.

I have been caught out hunting elk or deer and a snowstorm happens. So being able to throw together a camp site is a big plus.

In my bag I carry a loading block with 8 PRBs, powder measure, extra flints, turn screw, vent prick, pan brush, flint knapper, small can of extra lube, a couple of cleaning patches, jag, and a few extra balls & patches. Short starter, patch knife, and pan primer are in separate pockets or loops on the strap and bag. And a full horn. I'm never far enough away from camp to need more. Luckily I have roomy bag.

For my SMR I carry a flint wallet with 3 spare flints, knapper, turn screw, jag, tow worm/patch puller, ball puller and some cleaning patches and tow. I have a tin of lube (bee's wax and olive), patches, a few round balls, a short starter, powder measure and a pan primer.

I assume by "bag" you mean your shot pouch or shooting bag,,, not some random bag of other possible essentials,,,, as some people seen to think a shot pouch should be. (Thus their confusion with a so called "possible bag")
Seeing as you are outfitting for a rifle all your shot pouch really needs are balls and some lubed patch material, a small tin of lube if the patching is dry. Your belt knife will, or should, be able to cut patches at the muzzle most handily. A small flintwallet, or other small pouch, with a ball puller, patch worm, maybe a pick (but I would keep this someplace more handy), spare flint/s, a turnscrew could be kept in the bag, I also like a "tow-and-toggle," set up,,,, this would be better if the bag has a divided area to put it in so that when your hand enters for a ball and some patching,,,, that is all that is there to grab. I vastly prefer to keep all the stuff for cleaning and dealing with problems in a separate bag,,, along with all the other "essential" stuff folks shove in their shooting bag to complicate the loading process.

Seriously, leave the compass, emergency matches, Bic lighter, tarp, life-straw, cordage, iodone tablets, emergency strobe beacon, sat-com, and tampons to stop hemorrhaging, in another bag.
If you don't want to grab it to make your next shot,,, put it somewhere else.

Good point I forgot about my using a second mini-back pack bag. You put your non-essential for shooting stuff in it. I was always concerned about getting injured somehow out in the wilds. It might be several days before help can find you. So obviously you need something to eat water to drink.

If your cell phone works and you call for help then make darn sure you answer all incoming calls. There was a guy in Cali who made it tough for the rescuers to find him. He would not answer the phone for any calls he didn't recognize. Go figure.

Yeah I wound up with all kinds of stuff in my possibles bag. I made this leather one over 30 years ago. The light tan bag next to it, I made as a teenager way back in prehistoric times. I put in specific stuff for the particular gun I plan to carry and shoot that day.

Attachments

• Left_hand_flintlock_07.jpg
    Left_hand_flintlock_07.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Left_hand_flintlock_08.jpg
    Left_hand_flintlock_08.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0
Historically bags were generally small.
Get a haversack, throw all the things you can think of in it
In your shooting pouch just the minimal you need
Leave the haversack near, but if in half a dozen time shooting you don’t need it don’t carry I what looks like two tins in these photos are tin and lid.
My set for my SMR smooth rifle and fusil
4B66D8C6-C0EE-4FEF-ADA1-ECB4CD5F0BAC.jpeg
A5C3C262-7300-467A-9D4F-978F0CBA3797.jpeg
E3D639C4-886B-45E4-89DA-E7E444E42677.jpeg

I have a Mississippi rifle and a .58 CS Richmond I use patched balls in

In my bag I'd need :
Balls , about 50
Lubed patches for same
Pre-cut powder measure
A round tubular flask - A Treso large flask holds enough for 50 shots
A tin with about 70 caps
Short starter
Nipple Wrench/pick
Extra nipple
Jag for cleaning rod
Premade cleaning patches like T/C
Dry patches

All of this will fit in a period looking leather bag I use . This would equate to a healthy range session or enough for an Indian fight.

I like to keep things simple. A bag can get really crowded real quick and it can make it awkward to find the thing you need. Count me as one who thinks a shot pouch should include only the items needed to fire and service the gun, not everything up to an including the kitchen’s sink. When those items are needed, a larger separate pouch or haversack is in order.

I shoot a trade gun and use a small Lemuel Lyman divided belt pouch. In the front half I carry round ball and pieces of greased tow rolled up into the proper sizes for wadding. The back section carries two extra flints, a turnscrew, small rag for wiping the frizzen and pan, and a worm with a hank of dry tow for cleaning. Powder measure and vent pick hang off the horn strap.

Here’s the contents of my shooting bag for my .62 flintlock.
2387DE75-151F-4993-AC0F-A45AB1E7EE5B.jpeg

There is a little pocket inside the flap that holds the loose balls. There are a couple other small pockets to keep things organized.
44B30FDD-7E8D-4AC7-8A76-A1833F1F7031.jpeg

3AE73703-CB8D-4554-B27D-01E1EFF7E668.jpeg

A pocket in the back holds my pocketknife and whetstone.
068812B8-6D9D-4546-B68E-4BC169A3C98C.jpeg

Patches and ball puller are in the patch box on the rifle.

Last edited:
Back