• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn “Sidedness”

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuNosecap

40 Cal
Reaction score
I’ve been admiring the beautiful powder horn artistry on this forum by many contributors. Reading about them and trying to become educated, many questions have come up. There is talk about sidedness; this one carries best on the left or right, etc.
So how does one properly carry a horn?
What makes a horn a left or right side?
If I shoot right handed, what side should my horn be?
And why?
How does one select a horn for a new build? Most on line sellers (Etsy, EBay) sell you a horn like it’s a grab bag. You get what they send.
Thanks in advance for the free lesson in hornery :oops:
Rick

And special thanks to PathfinderNC for the three part tutorial on horn building. I hope to give that a try soon.

Left on the left, right on the right.

20230913_205721.jpg

Some people like their horn on a short strap just above their pouch on their strong side, others sling bag and horn at equal levels on opposite sides bandolier-style, some will have horn on weak side, some will have their pouch on weak side, some will have horn and shot snake on one side and pouch on the other, it is really a matter of personal preference.

Usually, I have found if the horn grew on the right side of a cow's head it will carry best on your right side and the same for the left one, there are instances where a horn will carry on either side regardless of the side of the cows head it grew on. I like a high carry right about where my last rib down is and tight to my body which allows the horn to sit on top of the shooting bag again high and tight to my side. You will hear different suggestions but I as a left-handed shooter carry my horn and bag on my right side. With the horn on a separate carrying strap from the bag.

I'm left and carry a left horn on the left side. All but one of my horns is a left except the right one which is for my lefty trade gun. Generally I shoot righty guns and prime from the horn which is easier to do with my dominant hand. I always carry my pouch on the right. I think everyone develops a preference as they get the hang of loading from pouch and horn. No right or wrong way to do it, just do what comes natural and if your horn ends ip being wrong sided, just make more the other way.

I like to get my horns from the powderhorn guy, they're affordable, clean, graded in several categories like size, side, butt shape, color, and translucency and have photos of some so you see exactly what you're buying. Freight is expensive so buy 3-5 or more individually listed ones at a time.

I'm right-handed. I carry my horn (when I am not wearing my red uniform) on my right side. Most horns will be pretty straight with the horn hanging in an arc that will conform to the shape of your body. @IanH's example shows horns with a slight twist to the tip. When hanging, the tip should be pointing toward your body. When holding the rifle, with the rifle across your body in a right-hand hold and the horn hanging on the right side, I have found that the horn is behind my body and well away from any sparks from my flint lock. With many, the horn is carried on the side that the shooter finds to be most comfortable and controllable when loading. Sometimes, one just has to try it out.

It helps to by the horn from a selection that one can lay the horn on the side as it would be carried to determine if it feels natural to being handled.

It felt natural to me to have a horn and bag on my left when I started this. I’m right handed but have my keys or wallet in the left side, my left side is where my change goes or a knife, I don’t know why.
So I go to my first event and everyone had stuff on the right unless they’re a south paw. So I switched.
Most paintings from the times puts horns and bags on the right. I switched not only cause I saw it at events but historically
Must be the right side.
I got used to it there
Then I saw it on the other, often military
But now right seems right to me, just got used to it
Where ever it’s comfortable to carry and use is the right side

Which side is entirely up to you unless doing a historically correct portrayal of a unit or organization known to carry their horn and pouch on a specific side. Some like it on their one side or the other due to which hand is dominant and how they like to pour, some like it on the side opposite of where they shoot out of fear a spark will get into the horn when they shoot if it is on the gun side.

The 1st reply has a pic of two horns. Which horn is better for which side is based on how it wraps around you. The horn on the left would stick out from your side and get in the way if worn on the right.

I’ve been admiring the beautiful powder horn artistry on this forum by many contributors. Reading about them and trying to become educated, many questions have come up. There is talk about sidedness; this one carries best on the left or right, etc.
And why?
How does one select a horn for a new build? Most on line sellers (Etsy, EBay) sell you a horn like it’s a grab bag. You get what they send.
Rick

And special thanks to PathfinderNC for the three part tutorial on horn building. I hope to give that a try soon.
What makes a horn left or right depends on which side of the cow's head the horn grew

Proper carry is determined by the shooter. If one is right handed, it might seem logical to suspend the horn transversely from the left shoulder so that it can be grasped by the right hand. Or maybe not. It depends upon the shooter.

I have seen some new shooters carry a powderhorn down in the gunslinger position, near the hip. I think this is a little awkward. I carry my horn up near my lower ribs. It doesn't swing forward like a pendulum if I bend over. I can anchor it a bit with my elbow, if needs be.

Powderhorns and More makes it easy. Their horns are listed as either left or right side carry.

I carry/shoot my rifle in my left hand (and shoot from the left shoulder.) I carry my bag and horn on my right side, so the gun does not bang and clang against the bag and horn. Much quieter. The bag and horn are also carried high (above the hip) so they don't swing when moving. To reload, the bag is right under my right hand, reaching for the horn and loading block. Works for me.

ADK Bigfoot

Rick- I am glad you enjoyed and benefited from my simple horn tutorial!
As to your question; Horns usually have a twist or turn on them that will determine if it would be a left or right carry horn. Some horns are more straight which will enable them to be carried on either side. You want the spout to bend in toward your body.
Determining which side you want to have your horn/rig on is a matter of personal preference.
Bob

Thanks everyone for the input. It is apparent that with a few HC specific exceptions, most is personal preference.
A big part of my problem is that 99% of my shooting is at the range, so I’m not routinely carrying a pouch, horn and necessary accoutrements. Guess I need to get out more.
I appreciate the education. I am ready to grab a few horns and try building one (after I complete my in progress Chambers rifle and Fowler).

The length of the horn can also affect how it carries. Short horns usually don't have a double curve . Longer ones can be either a straight single curve or have a double curve so the comments above would be more applicable.

I'm a right handed shooter and carry the horn and bag on my right side. My left hand is more dexterous as I paint and write with my left hand so I use that to handle the powder measure, ticking, ball, etc.

And why?
Rick

Rick,
According to Roland Cadle founder of the Honorary Horners Guild a right hand horn grows on the animals right side , and visa versa.

How you wear it is up to you.

I personally like compound curved horns of some length, so I wear mine on my dominant right side up high with the bag. The curved butt end of the horn curves around my side, and the spout tilts out, up and away from my side; therefore powder will not spill out accidently, if I bend over picking something up and forget to replace the plug. It happens!

Try Powderhorns and More .com for great horns, powderhorn kits and supplies. You get to see the polished horn you are buying.
You can also usually find horns for sale at muzzleloading gun shows, or shops like Log Cabin in Lodi, Ohio.

I have over the years bought many nice powderhorns, and made many as well.
On some buys I have had to move the staples to satisfy my carrying style, of course this cannot be done with lobed powderhorns. Most horners seem to build an animal's right side horn in to a left hand carry, so pay attention and buy what you need.

Thanks everyone for the input. It is apparent that with a few HC specific exceptions, most is personal preference.
A big part of my problem is that 99% of my shooting is at the range, so I’m not routinely carrying a pouch, horn and necessary accoutrements. Guess I need to get out more.
I appreciate the education. I am ready to grab a few horns and try building one (after I complete my in progress Chambers rifle and Fowler).
Even at the range, if I am not working on gun tuning, sighting, etc., I gear up like I am doing a trail; everything loaded 'out of my pockets'. (and no range rod) That way, when I do a trail, I know exactly where everything is, and how to access it without messing around. I am embarrassed for the folks who go out and take 5 minutes to get loaded up because everything is basically inaccessible or lost in an unorganized possibles bag.

And why?
Rick

Rick,

As someone who builds about 500 a year....I can help! Right or left side carry is a matter of choice based on how comfortable you are with either hand. Our forefathers did not carry them for fashion, but function. The referred to their gun, horn, bag and knife as their "hunting tools" and is very well documented in journals.

A horn can be carried on either side based on users comfort and the shape of the horn. On my website, for consistency of listing polished horns for sale, a right side carry horn, when placed on your right side, the tip will turn into your body and ride close. That same horn, on your left hip, will have the tip slightly away from your body.

Both are correct.

Surviving originals were carried both ways, so don't let anyone tell you there is a hard and fast rule. Think in terms of a modern day carpenter carrying his tools on a tool belt. Does he carry them for fashion or function? Function. No difference.

I hope this helps!

Gerry

The 1st reply has a pic of two horns. Which horn is better for which side is based on how it wraps around you. The horn on the left would stick out from your side and get in the way if worn on the right.
Exactly, when Brokennock says “ get in the way” he’s referring to walking through the woods, catching branches, weeds and so forth. I’ve always liked to keep the contour of the horn wrapped around my torso nice close and tight, along with my other gear. I like a left handed horn with my bag on the right, I also attach some of my horns to my bags and wear that combo on my right as well.
Experiment and do what seems to come natural for you, what feels right, and how practical and comfortable your horn/ bag hangs on you is pretty important when your at shoots or hunting.

Left or right hand "sideness" did not start until it was introduced as a concept when historical trekking got started a few years back, before then it did not matter.

Latest posts

Back