• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is needed in your bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was going on a long trek I would just carry my larger bag with more stuff in it... :)
Buffalo Big Bag.jpeg

Do the fellas that carry their shooting stuff in their "possible bag," along with everything else they might possibly need between the truck or camp, and returning to truck or camp,,, also carry a pistol/revolver every day? Do they jam extra stuff they might need in their magazine or speed-loader pouch? Or carry that spare magazine or speedloader in a pouch or pocket along with their keys, chapstick, midol, dental floss, tweezers, and roll of Tums?

Asking for a friend....

Do the fellas that carry their shooting stuff in their "possible bag," along with everything else they might possibly need between the truck or camp, and returning to truck or camp,,, also carry a pistol/revolver every day? Do they jam extra stuff they might need in their magazine or speed-loader pouch? Or carry that spare magazine or speedloader in a pouch or pocket along with their keys, chapstick, midol, dental floss, tweezers, and roll of Tums?

Asking for a friend....
Lord No, nothing but shooting supplies for me! But I have been known to keep a little chewing tobacco in there too.

;)

Lord No, nothing but shooting supplies for me! But I have been known to keep a little chewing tobacco in there too.

;)
As much as I love the versatility of my smoothbores,,, I do envy the simplicity of the rifle shooter's shot pouch (with wads and all that, more stuff is needed in the bag for a smoothbore), or at least what should be simplicity. I can't figure out why folks would want to clutter that up.

A little chew could be seen as prep for the next shot (I wonder if it could be used as wadding 🤔) if not in a hurry. Stuff some chew in, contemplatively reload, thoughtful finish your chew,,, then go track that deer you shot.

As much as I love the versatility of my smoothbores,,, I do envy the simplicity of the rifle shooter's shot pouch (with wads and all that, more stuff is needed in the bag for a smoothbore), or at least what should be simplicity. I can't figure out why folks would want to clutter that up.

A little chew could be seen as prep for the next shot (I wonder if it could be used as wadding 🤔) if not in a hurry. Stuff some chew in, contemplatively reload, thoughtful finish your chew,,, then go track that deer you shot.
While I do chew from time to time, I’ve never used it for such. But I can’t see the harm in trying. You never know.

Small elk shooting bag; balls, patches, short starter, small kit with a couple extra flints, screwdriver, etc. Very compact and easy to carry. My powder measure is on my horn strap, as is a vent pick. View attachment 173841
That’s a nice outfit, @RanchRoper ! I was wondering about that powder measure or charger… is that sheep horn?

Re chewing tobacco: A little wad of chewed tobacco pressed on a wasp or yellow jacket sting relieves the pain very quickly. That is not folklore. I was with a bunch of fellows (Order of the Arrow) clearing an area for a new campsite back in the sixties, when we got into a nest of yellow jackets. One of the older scouts, a real Cracker, gave me his well-masticated “chaw” and told me to apply it to the stings. Kind of gross, but it worked like magic. I think there must be something in saliva that interacts chemically with chewing tobacco to make it so effective. I have never been a habitual tobacco chewer, but I keep some pipe tobacco in my backpack when in the woods. You can spit in a little wad of pipe tobacco and mash it up and apply it to a sting and it helps a lot, but if memory serves, that chewing tobacco worked better than anything.

Also, I did read something a while back about Indians sometimes using tobacco as wadding in their guns. This was their equivalent of shooting a silver bullet… the load would have some enhanced or magical property for dealing with a supernatural enemy.

Tobacco is a remarkable herb. I don’t smoke, chew, or dip, but I like to keep a little pouch of it with my plunder.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I carry all the basic to keep the ML working. It seems like common sense to me. I also carry a small "pack" with basic survival gear, fire starters(multiple),tinder,(wet fire) Emergency blankets, food bar, water, extra socks, small tarp. I'm too old & experienced to play "games" with Mother Nature, because she will kick your butt if you are not prepared IMHO

Attachments

• Black Powder Stuff 3.jpg
    Black Powder Stuff 3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • black powder stuff 4.jpg
    black powder stuff 4.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC04770.JPG
    DSC04770.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 0
I'm going to attempt to draw a correlation here regarding keeping a bunch of non-shooting stuff in your shot pouch.
Please forgive the modern shooting referencing.
I have run IDPA matches for many years, there have been many rule changes and such that I have not agreed with. I think they failed execution on a reasonable idea with their BUG division rules. So? I decided to hold an EDC match. Unofficial. Basically IDPA rules, except, round count and carry method were geared toward smaller guns, spare magazine/s or speedloaders were allowed to be carried however one normally carries them (in a pocket/s) regardless of rules on reload stowage..... I won't go into the rest because that is the main correlation.....
Most of the shooters,,,, some who are very, very, good,,,, left that evening rethinking a lot of things about what they carry and how they carry it. Especially those who carry their reloads in a pocket or pockets, and God help those who shoved magazines or speedloaders into pockets that also held other items.

Now. I understand we don't often absolutely have to reload our muzzleloaders rapidly, and it is almost never going to be a life or death matter. But, don't you owe it to that animal you got a marginal hit on (you know the one, the one suffering because it moved slightly at the shot and you accepted a pie plate as your accuracy standard) don't you owe it to that living creature to reload efficiently and quickly to finish the job and end the suffering you caused?

Just to play with the thought exercise. What if it did become life or death? There have been fatal incidents regarding multiple hunters in an argument over a hunting spot.... stupid stuff does turn violent now and then. (I am thinking primarily of an incident involving a man in his 70s and a few younger people,,, but there have been others)

To bring it back around to history and traditional muzzleloading.... maybe the few extant bags we have,,,, are small for a reason.....

"Just to play with the thought exercise. What if it did become life or death? There have been fatal incidents regarding multiple hunters in an argument over a hunting spot...."

If I have to carry speed loaders in preparation of a shoot out for a hunting spot, it is time to give up hunting.

This thread has sure wandered off from the OP's original question.

"Just to play with the thought exercise. What if it did become life or death? There have been fatal incidents regarding multiple hunters in an argument over a hunting spot...."

If I have to carry speed loaders in preparation of a shoot out for a hunting spot, it is time to give up hunting.

It does occur but does happen often thank goodness. I knew of such an incident years ago in PA when I was hunting. Three idiots arguing over who had shot a deer, and the one group of two individuals threatening the other guy. Can't make this stuff up. The world is full of people who should never be armed, IMHO.

Not unusual tht threads meander back and forth because they often time bring back ideas and memories of things that transpired that are triggered by the original post. It is what it is, and not a problem IMHO.

Back