• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is everyone's opinion on this CVA Mountain Rifle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In an interesting and somewhat amusing side-note, this gun is now listed on gunbroker with 76 bids on it with only 2 guys bidding and it's up to $350.00 with reserve not met.

But to the OP of this thread, there are several pretty nice mountain rifles listed at better prices right now.

Thank you @SmoothboreMurph and @Murphinator for helping me find out this rifle is a trash heap. If I have any more questions I'll keep them to myself for now on or find a different forum or just PM you murph since you have brain up top that works.

Please let me apologize for the rude & uncalled-for response(s) to your questions - we hope you don't get discouraged, and continue to be a part of our community here. :)

Just got back into BP, thru a friend that moved. Have three CVA Mountain Rifles,rebore by B.Holt to 54 w/15/16's barrel, a big bore 54 w 1" Bl, and a made in the USA 50. Like them, all have shoot great, parts are fairly easy to find, just waiting for the weather and work to give me a break so I can range test the Big Bore. IMOP you can't go wrong. Good luck finding one.

I have a CVA mountain rifle and I think I should get it rebored but what I wanted to mention is that Deer Creek Products has a lot of parts for CVA rifles including the Mountain Rifle. I was very happy dealing with them. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

My .02 I hate it! If you take that scope off or at the very least correct the angle, I might tolerate its existence.

The chopped photo you present is actually offensive to those of us with even a basic background with these types of arms.
It in no way represents the rifle or proper application of the scope that may be on it.
What are you actually trying to accomplish here?
The scope’s elevation adjustment is made externally by moving the scope up or down. This scope appears to be set for long distance shooting. I I have heard folks refer to them as rabbit ear mounts. Here is an offensive photograph of a similar rear sight mount.

1650569749588.png

Last edited:
For BPCRS scopes and mounts such as those pictured must be replicas of scopes made before 1896.

It looks like a cheaper scope, if it was an MVA (which I am pretty sure its not) the scope would sell for about $1,000.00 new.

I have both the CVA Mountain rifle in .58cal and the Lyman GPR in 50cal. In my opinion the GPR is a better rifle and with the price that's being asked for the CVA, I would be considering putting that toward a Lyman GPR. That said I shot a 4 point Red Stag with the CVA a week or so ago, they do work.

The CVA rifles have a good reputation for accuracy, reliability and solid performance. I think $450 is a bit steep however.
I think for the rifle itself, $375 but then you have a scope to be able to part with if so desire retail is $250 in addition to the rifle? $450 is not to far out of line here in georgia and someone down here would pay that just for te rifle.

I cant be bothered anymore have a good rest of your day.
Ok, I apologize for offending you so severely. I honestly hope you find sanctuary to recover in a healthy manner from my obvious offense.

The CVA Mountain Rifle is the finest over the counter offering by CVA they ever made in our realm of "Traditional"..
It's found accuracy and proven ability in the field is a commonly known truth.

I commend your dabbling of interest into an additional season of hunting in your area as you have shared with us in your posts.

There is a lot of information available here. And many-many proper/qualifying rifles available not only here but nation wide on many venues.
When you find interest beyond which of the cheapest offerings in your area are best and want or need assistance learning the use of your rifle,,
,,Please come back and ask

Poignant, but that's not really the mount,, is it?
I have seen these 19th century style scopes mounted on muzzleloaders and BP cartridge guns using similar mounts. Not 100% certain, but based on OP’s high definition fuzzy photograph, it sure appears to be correct or at least a similar mount.

With no internal crosshair adjustment like you have with your Swarovsk Scope, one has to physically move this type of scope with external adjustment to get it on target. The ones I have had the opportunity to use (not mine, but others scopes mounted on their guns) were adjusted for elevation with rear mounts that raised or lowered the rear of the entire scope, and windage adjustment with the front mount moving left or right. I disagree with your statement about the ‘proper application of the scope’ from what I have seen and experienced, but you also have your opinion. Curious as to your actual experience with this type of scope and mounts that brought you to your stated opinion.

I was very impressed with the repeatablity of this type of scope mount at ranges from 100 to 500 yards. Accuracy with the samples I tried were quite scary, and imagine in their day they were state of the art. But that’s just my opinion, and unlikely to change your mind.
It in no way represents the rifle or proper application of the scope that may be on it.

I asked a question thats all I did. I wasn't selling this to anyone or advertising it to everyone. I did say "this years deer season" implying 2022-2023. That is quite plain to see. Also the last post featuring this rifle was also mine yes but it was a post about 4 different rifles I was trying to get information on that I... not anyone else on planet earth was going to buy so that I... could hunt White Tail Deer in the State of Maryland the 7th State of the USA on the Mid Atlantic Region of the North American continent. Im not a hacker or a fraud or a scammer. Why would you imply that I am ? For simply asking if I am getting ripped off on a rifle. They have car forums where people talk about a car is being sold for x and if I pay y am I being ripped off. How is this any different ? I dont even know why I bother being on this forum at this point Muzzleloading seems like a pain in the backside to get into. I might as well go buy an H&R unmentionable for $50 and shake hands with this forum. I cant be bothered anymore have a good rest of your day.
There is a ton of great guys on here. They are very helpful on any ML question. Don't let a few turn you off to this forum.

Curious as to your actual experience with this type of scope and mounts that brought you to your stated opinion.
It's none.
But, it "IS",, actually rocket science. (it's a math thing)
It's not the use of the scope that brought me to the conclusion at all.
Your misusing the comment.
It's the actuality of THAT scope/That mount/on that rifle/in that application that lends too the falsehood of the "fuzzy" photograph.
As well as the OP's recent postings.
The OP may have been miss led with what he his sharing, and I have tried to apologize for that to him and publicly within the forum.

I'm sorry, the representation in the photo of that scope and rifle and it's mounting is something I'd caution everyone to consider.

Is the rifle "junk"? No. But the OP has decided it is for some reason, with his own words,,
Is the photo chopped? Obviously. (hit the link's!)

After studying the photo I think that may in fact be a RHO scope, if so they used to sell in the 6-700 dollar range but I am not sure if they are still around. So a 350 dollar gun with a, lets say 2-300 dollar scope used. But it all depends on condition which no one knows with out physically seeing the combination.

FYI, when I was heavy in to BPCRS shooting, guys with good eye sight sometimes tried scopes to boost their scores and found that it did not help any over a good soule sight. Scores stayed pretty much just what they were albeit a different class.

Seen Scopes like that get damaged fast. One fell sideways off back range table (despite the pegs) and bent the tube when it hit the ground. Another got clonked on a range post just turning around. Think it was after the second shot. I can't imagine using it for hunting.

Back