• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is everyone's opinion on this CVA Mountain Rifle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless I'm missing some information here, I don't get where the two posters with direct knowledge have stated anything to the effect this rifle is trash. It appears in decent shape. Bore condition is unknown, and that is important. The scope mounts could potentially be an issue if the screw holes were drilled too deep. I agree it may not be prudent to purchase if you don't have the ability to see it in person. I see rifles come up on this forum fairly frequently that would serve your need. I suggest keeping your eyes out on here.
I see you stated CVA barrels are unknown as to condition , Here is what I found ! First my credentials over 43 years Graduate Master Gunsmith school hands on not mail order , Earned PA Machinist papers , 15 years Toolmaker No Papers . Now for CVA Barrels ! my findings hands on Examination ! I have removed Drum removed beach plug found rifling that looks like rake teeth every Bergara barrel all had same bore damage to bore , rifling groves Passed bright and shiny no rake teeth , This was done from owners wanting to know why their patches were torn to shreds after they fired their guns at sight in new guns . I had One gentleman bring a gun to me that he used a pipe wrench to try and remove the breach plug from his CAV /Traditions Bergara Barrel and after removing the ruined Breach plug I showed him the internal bore , he ordered a Green Mountain barrel for me to set up for his New rifle he is still shooting it to the best of my knowledge ? scale on Bergara Barrels 1to5 because to bore damage 1 .

Wow. Nothing I despise more than a man who runs down another's gun or kit. Just too many snarky "me too's" on the 'Net... CVA mountain rifle are good guns. Not sure on the scope, but you could always take it off if it doesn't work for you and sell it.

I've never thought to highly of the CVA mountain rifles until I bought one this past Januar at a gun show here in Broken Arrow , Oklahoma. The gun was offered for sale at $200 new in the box and I countered wit!h a hundred dollar offer and the guy accepted my offer to my surprise. I thought how could I lose at that price. It was marked on the barrel as made in the USA and it was in 45 caliber. It's not a 45 but a fifty caliber in actuality. It's a darn good rifle and shoots great. Should I ever have the good fortune to buy another one like it I won't hestate.

Ok, I apologize for offending you so severely. I honestly hope you find sanctuary to recover in a healthy manner from my obvious offense.

The CVA Mountain Rifle is the finest over the counter offering by CVA they ever made in our realm of "Traditional"..
It's found accuracy and proven ability in the field is a commonly known truth.

I commend your dabbling of interest into an additional season of hunting in your area as you have shared with us in your posts.

There is a lot of information available here. And many-many proper/qualifying rifles available not only here but nation wide on many venues.
When you find interest beyond which of the cheapest offerings in your area are best and want or need assistance learning the use of your rifle,,
,,Please come back and ask
I greatly respect that Necchi.

I have 3 CVA mountain rifles, a percussion 50, a percussion 54 and a flint 50 with a .32 barrel I made for it. I have a lot of muzzleloaders, I have owned a lot more, I had a great plains, which I sold because it fit me very badly. I always go back to those CVA Mountain Rifles. they fit me perfectly are very accurate, and best of all I can shoot all day without swabbing on all 3 as they load so smooth. I have spent well over $1000 for a custom smokepole that doesn't shoot nearly as well. I have sold a few of my Mountains over the years to friends who liked them as well, and if I build myself another custom gun, I will clone a CVA Mountain, Great guns, great shooters, you could not pick a better rifle, new shooter or veteran shooter. with L&R making those RPL locks, in my opinion $350 for a gun, $200 for a lock, it beats even the best custom guns out there at a LOT lower price. they may be "fantasy" guns, as in not a copy of an original. but personally, they make outstanding "traditional" sidelock hunters.

Back