• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Weather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went the other day when it was 28 and windy. I have also went squirrel hunting when it was 24. That’s about as low as I’ll go. I prefer temps above freezing, arthur don’t like cold. I’d rather sweat than shiver.

I would say about 60 degrees is my cut off point now. I have an 800 yard range out of my shop.

In South Texas it was 34 degrees this morning and I chose to go to church instead of hunting. Thinking it was about 74 there. The cold air has finally reached us.

Since retirement I thumb my nose at miserable weather. Used to be I'd drive 80 miles to work in a blizzard. Or a hurricane. Now? Food in the house. 500 Gallon tank of propane for the generator. Books to read. Scotch in the bar. Wife, dog, and cats keep me company. Don't even go to the mail box if it is icy out.

Some time around 1960 in SWPa. where I grew up , we had a bad winter. Two days in Jan. , that yr. , temp was -45. Since this kid had never experienced that , schools closed no busses , etc. I went hunting some of the thousands of crows in the back fields. Hunkered down in a creek bottom , a lone scout came over , and I blistered him with a trap load , he fell on the other side of the creek. Had to walk 150 yds.up the creek and back to retrieve the dead crow to use on the next day's hunt , as a decoy. 'Til I got to the crow's body , it was frozen hard . Couldn't believe that. 'Course , saying again , this kid had never experienced such cold.

In my eighth decade...
The older I've gotten I have less to prove.
I now prefer more comfort and less battling the the temps and wind chill for range time.
Hunting still warms the heart enough to brave the elements within reason...as I mentioned, I have nothing prove to myself or others having been there and done that.
😉

Cold doesn't bother me much especially short exposures. To much trouble to put shoes on to pick up the paper this morning.

Screenshot_20240115-063236_Wunderground_copy_600x1267.jpg
20240115_064201_copy_600x800.jpg

Back