• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

You never know what you’ll find in the truck!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Headed to the range yesterday as the temperature was going to be close to 40 and cloudy. I wanted to take advantage of the weather to shoot before the white stuff comes and it gets nasty cold. Anyway, I got set up and I had NO PATCH LUBE! I hate sucking on a piece of cloth so I went to the truck of 22 years to search all the nooks and crannies for anything that would work as a patch lube. Finally I found an old bottle of 2% coal tar shampoo that came from who knows where. But what the heck, beggars can’t be choosers. This stuff worked great and is as slick as snake snot!! It didn’t change my POA or accuracy but I doubt it will be my new go to patch lube, I’m just not wild about the smell of coal tar Shampoo but it did beat chewing on a piece old rag!

Makes me wonder, what in my truck could work? I do have a small can of WD40, and an even smaller(like 1oz) bottle of CLP. I bet those would do.

Got me thinking of maybe intentionally leaving a "ML kit" behind the truck seat. I usually give the range box a once over when getting ready for a range trip. Glad it worked out for you and you pulled it off. I was vacuuming my truck out a couple months ago and found 3 loose cigarettes. I quit smoking 3 years ago! Speaks volumes on my truck cleaning habits, or lack there of 🙄

Headed to the range yesterday as the temperature was going to be close to 40 and cloudy. I wanted to take advantage of the weather to shoot before the white stuff comes and it gets nasty cold. Anyway, I got set up and I had NO PATCH LUBE! I hate sucking on a piece of cloth so I went to the truck of 22 years to search all the nooks and crannies for anything that would work as a patch lube. Finally I found an old bottle of 2% coal tar shampoo that came from who knows where. But what the heck, beggars can’t be choosers. This stuff worked great and is as slick as snake snot!! It didn’t change my POA or accuracy but I doubt it will be my new go to patch lube, I’m just not wild about the smell of coal tar Shampoo but it did beat chewing on a piece old rag!
Nothing wrong with being prepared for dandruff out on the road! Using it as lube is a bonus!

Got me thinking of maybe intentionally leaving a "ML kit" behind the truck seat. I usually give the range box a once over when getting ready for a range trip. Glad it worked out for you and you pulled it off. I was vacuuming my truck out a couple months ago and found 3 loose cigarettes. I quit smoking 3 years ago! Speaks volumes on my truck cleaning habits, or lack there of 🙄
I bought my truck in ‘02. I think the last time I really cleaned it was in 08 or 09 but it could have been as early as 2011. 🤔

I have driven to the public range 50 miles away twice and forgot my patch lube and bag of cast balls. I only had the load in the rifle. (deer season was in) and the 5 balls in my loading block. It sure was a long drive to only shoot 6 shots.

"The one in the truck"??!!?

That explains why that other couple were looking at me funny...the look on her face was horrifying.

I really gotta start reading the Whole thread before going off half cocked
:dunno:

The 2% Coal tar shampoo I found in my truck last week surprised me as well and hence, I have become curious as to it’s origin. So, I asked my wife about it. Any guy who has been married longer then a week is fully aware that their wife knows everything. Well, I’ll be!!! She knew!! Many years ago we had a small mutt dog that had developed skin issues later in life and the vet gave my wife a small sample of the coal tar shampoo to help with the dry skin when we bathe her (dog, not the wife). My wife thought she dropped it when she getting back in the truck. Mystery solved. In reference to my spit. I’m a lot closer to 80 than 70 and when I spit (yes I still can) only the Good Lord knows what will come out. Best not to chance it. 🤔😱🤔😱🤔

Back