• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My balls are wrinkly ;)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Losekamp

West Harrison, Indiana
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
1000008406.jpg
1000008400.jpg

First time casting, it was fun! I'm not using a thermometer, am I not getting the lead hot enough? Mold too cold? Does it really matter if they have some wrinkles? They feel fairly smooth but the shine makes the imperfections really obvious visually.

Get lead hotter and probably cast faster to get mold hotter, my first 3 or 4 are usually wrinkled then mold warms up, I often have a hotplate with molds on it to keep molds hot when I'm casting different sized balls and or bullets.

If just a a few small wrinkles I'll use for plinking,but not if I need accuracy or in a revolver where I want a good seal.

I normally take a little time to let the fire get good and hot before I start casting. I keep my mold laying close to the fire to keep it hot. It ain’t rocket science. It’s more of an art. After you do it a few times you’ll get the hang of it. To me, it’s the next best thing to shooting.

And, if you mess some up, just melt them down and try again. 😄

View attachment 290111View attachment 290112

First time casting, it was fun! I'm not using a thermometer, am I not getting the lead hot enough? Mold too cold? Does it really matter if they have some wrinkles? They feel fairly smooth but the shine makes the imperfections really obvious visually.
Yep, too cold. But there are probably lots of dead injuns from people who used wrinkled balls. In the whole scheme of things the target doesn’t care, up to 50 yards you won’t tell the difference, check the diameter and get your mould and lead hotter.

View attachment 290111View attachment 290112

Cold mold ...aluminum molds are very bad about doing that ..My steel mold the first 2-3ball I throw back in the pot and never have any problems after that ....

That’s the way to pour round balls! Mold probably needs to be hotter.
If you’re just plinking at close range, they’ll probably be fine. I sometimes shoot balls that look a lot worse than that when I’m just killing cardboard boxes. 😉
I'll just be blasting with them thank you :)

Get lead hotter and probably cast faster to get mold hotter, my first 3 or 4 are usually wrinkled then mold warms up, I often have a hotplate with molds on it to keep molds hot when I'm casting different sized balls and or bullets.

If just a a few small wrinkles I'll use for plinking,but not if I need accuracy or in a revolver where I want a good seal.
Thank you for the input. It was my first time so settling into a rhythm was tough, the wood I was burning probably wasn't helping either I need to split up some hardwood instead of these little kindling blocks.

I normally take a little time to let the fire get good and hot before I start casting. I keep my mold laying close to the fire to keep it hot. It ain’t rocket science. It’s more of an art. After you do it a few times you’ll get the hang of it. To me, it’s the next best thing to shooting.

And, if you mess some up, just melt them down and try again. 😄
They did seem to get better the more I made thank you. Getting the pour right was a struggle at the start.

I’ve shown this before but I’ll post it again. This is actually in my blacksmith shop and I have an old hand cranked Tiger blower for the forge. It was my great grandfather’s. But, I have cast a lot over just a campfire.View attachment 290114
That's a nice little pit you've got there!

If your balls are wrinkly something is cold......

In this case it's that aluminum Lee mould. Put it over the fire and let it get nice and warm. Put a tiny smear of two-cycle engine oil on the hinge screw and when that starts to smoke off, it's hot enough to start casting.

The wrinkles are caused by the lead flash-freezing in mid-splash inside the ball mould. The mould blocks need to be about 400 degrees F. to prevent that. Cast faster to keep "pouring heat" into that mould and keep it up to a good temperature.

Thank you for the input. It was my first time so settling into a rhythm was tough, the wood I was burning probably wasn't helping either I need to split up some hardwood instead of these little kindling blocks.
It looks like you have some good rocks there to build a pit with which will help hold in the heat. Walnut or oak burns good.

Yes, too cold. I see you are using an aluminum (Lee?) mould...they cool off really quickly and if you need to set it down for even a minute, it needs to stay hot. As was mentioned previously, the first dozen go right back in the pot until the mould heats up.
I love the Old School thing, but an inexpensive Lee electric pot really helps regulate your casting temps.

If your balls are wrinkly something is cold......

In this case it's that aluminum Lee mould. Put it over the fire and let it get nice and warm. Put a tiny smear of two-cycle engine oil on the hinge screw and when that starts to smoke off, it's hot enough to start casting.

The wrinkles are caused by the lead flash-freezing in mid-splash inside the ball mould. The mould blocks need to be about 400 degrees F. to prevent that. Cast faster to keep "pouring heat" into that mould and keep it up to a good temperature.
The quality definitely got better as I went along. It was a cold breezy day I'm sure that didn't help but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Thank you

Latest posts

Back