• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Want to build first kit.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been shooting traditional muzzle rifles for many years all factory percussion rifles. Couple years ago I purchased a left handed Lyman GPR 54 flinter that I much enjoy.
I have long considered assembling a full stock flinter from one of the high quality kits offered by several companies that I see in Muzzle Blasts from the NMLRA.
I am planning on attending the June shooting week in Friendship as a shopper for kit. I want the kit to be somewhat basic as a first build and one that is not a real pain to assemble until I can develop my skills and patience.
I am looking for a full stocked left handed flinter kit. I am open to recommendations as to whos kits to look at. Also open to rifled or smooth bore suggestions as well as caliber. Had not considered a smooth bore before but been reading good things about them. Thanks for all advise and suggestions!

Check out TVM, my first rifle was a kit from them. It was a .45 southern flinter in left hand. Even for a first build, it was not terribly hard and it turned out well. So well in fact that I have a .40 Tennessee rifle in left hand flint on the way right now.

Tip Curtis has a building across the ditch just past the armory. He will
have more gun kits & more inventory than anyone there. Enough parts there
to build anything you want. Can interchange some barrels for the cal. you
want & etc.

Definitely stop & talk to Tip before ya buy. Plus you can shoulder about
25 dif stocks whale there & find something that Fits you.

Keith Lisle

My first kit was what I call a "shake the box kit" from Pedersoli; very easy to assemble, but it taught me a lot. I then moved on to two Jim Chambers kits, and although more of a challenge, 200 hours later, I have two very nice rifles. I now plan to progress and build from a blank.

You didn't mention your skill level with regards to tool use. The "kits" from all the major suppliers will require the use of drills,taps,files,chisels,etc... If you are somewhat capable you should be able to do it. Take your time and ask for advice when needed. Good luck.

I have not built anything yet. I helped (more like watched) my Dad build a couple of CVA's years ago.
From everything I have read TVM has some of the easiest kits for a first time builder.
Tip Curtis who has a shop at Friendship, has finished, in the white, and kits. His rifles are all top quality from what I picked up last year at Friendship, and what I have seen pictures of here on the forum. Once you go into traders row he is off to the left near the blacksmith shop. He is a wealth of knowledge.
Jim Chambers also has a great reputation for their kits. They are not for beginners from what I can tell and what their web site says. They were also at Friendship last year.
Hope this helps.

Something on the order of a tradegun makes the 'easist' build. Close to would be a barn gun or poor boy gun, often lacking a buttplate and entery thimble. Those are the hardest part to fit.A southern rifle or a plane rifle like a leman can still have some fancy angles and inlets to fit. You may consider an 'in the white' gun, a kit with the big fitting done but gives you room to sand and shape and finish.

Depends on the purpose of the parts set {kit} as to your choice. If you just want a MLer then an "in the white" rifle could be your choice. But if you want to learn how to make a MLer, then research the "kits" for the "already done" items from the various suppliers....sometimes this is a good idea dependent on one's skill level.

All the parts sets require many hrs of work to complete and various tools and extraneous items have to be purchased to do this work.

A very important factor in doing one of these parts sets is studying a couple of "how to" books" before the work is started...in fact after studying at least 2 of these books, the info gained could help you decide which "kit" to buy, commensurate w/ your hands on skills.

Good luck w/ deciding and building the "kit" of your choice".....Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Mountain Dewd, TVM kits are nice, and Jim Chambers produces some beautiful kits as well! My next build will end up being a TVM due to my own personal tastes. I'm currently building a Track of The Wolf kit and have loads of good to say about the quality of parts I've selected for this particular rifle. It really all comes down to what you want. I'm also building a .36cal squirrel rifle utilizing a traditions barrel I salvaged and a Log Cabin Shop curly maple Tennessee style stock. Sky's the limit to your personal creativity! Good wood and a good eye go a long way! :thumbsup:

I have been to Friendship many times and the stuff that is available is mind blowing. If I were you, I'd check out TVM and Jim Chambers first. You can look at what they have, ask questions and get advice directly from them. Both have excellent kits and it will just be a matter of picking the one that appeals most to you. They may not have any left hand rifles with them but you will be able to tell from what they have on display what kit you want and they will tell you what left hand models they have.

Made it to Friendship as I was hoping I would. TVM was not on list of venders. Visited Tip Curtis and Jim Chambers at least twice and told them what I was wanting to do and my experience level. Went back and forth on a left handed or right handed rifle. Made up my mind that I will never sell this and since I am a lefty it would be as well. Caliber I settled on a 45. Do not have a 45 and I can hunt deer in Illinois with a 45. Already have several 50 and 54's so a 45 it is. Really liked the Chambers rifles and the kits for my experience level. They offer a left handed Isaac Haines flinter and that is what I ordered. Added a wood cover patch box as well. Jims daughter Barbie was shooting the right handed version on the range so went and handled it and watched her shoot it. Think I will be very happy with it! Barrel is here already. Have watched the DVD from Chambers with Turpin assembling one of there kits. Very informative and I learned a lot from it. Have 3 books now on building and am buying tools I will need. Excited to get it and get started!

I don't believe a schimmel or trade gun is much easier, besides inletting a buttplate, entry pipe, and nosecap you really have to hit it on the architecture cause that is the sole focus on a plain gun. Not that anything being built shouldn't focus on that....

Don't even Think... it is going to go like in the DVD.... :rotf: :rotf: Just not gonna happen..... :idunno:

And be very careful with the forestock as you get close to completion, or you will end up with a 2 piece stock. Jim has them cut down Very thin & then you get the inlets in..... :slap: ya got to be careful. :nono:

Hope it all goes well for you.

Keith Lisle

I am under no illusion that this will be a easy project thats for sure. Snails pace is exactly how I intend to approach this. I do not usually have a lot of patience but will force myself to be so on this project. Only going to touch it if relaxed and in a good mood! If I start to get frustrated will walk away and return when mood changes for better. This is something I have considered for many years and want it to be right when done.

Between reading, viewing DVD's, thinking, and actually building, I put about 120 hours into my first Chambers kit. The second one went much quicker. The Ron Ehlert DVD is also very helpful.

Mountain Dewd said:
Food, sleep, time, patience, and research go a long way.

.....and the occasional adult beverage while you contemplate how to recover from the error you just made. :cursing:

On the plus side, most errors are not nearly as bad as it first seemed. :hmm:

Back