• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Utah regulation chnges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really liking the idea of that Pennsylvania flintlock only season.

It what it takes to get technology out of traditional muzzleloader seasons is a flintlock only approach I'd go for it. I wonder how long it would take for technology to catch up. Wait, didn't Thompson Center offer some kind of improved flintlock called the Firestorm? I can't recall if others offered similar guns.

From October 2023

Idaho Fish and Game is seeking public input on a proposed rule change that would allow projectiles made of metal or metal alloy, and with accuracy tips and pressure bases, to be used in hunting seasons designated as “muzzleloader only.”

This would be a change to the existing rule that only allows a patched round ball or conical non-jacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. This rulemaking was initiated in response to hunter requests to address the decreasing availability of lead-only projectiles for muzzleloaders and the increased availability of other metal projectiles.

Let me ask you, is there really a problem finding lead roundballs or conical bullets? This is the kind of "road apple" stuff they come up with. I don't know if the regulation change passed.

I know a lot don’t like the long range guns but I hope Arizona doesn’t follow suit. I like traditional and I like modern. Regulations like this are a slippery slope to them slowly taking more and more away.
Been hunting BP here in AZ over 45 years. There is no "traditional long range muzzleloader". You say you like traditional and modern? DO NOT COMBINE THEM. Traditional + sportsmanship could be taking your Knight and $1,200.00 range finding scope to field rather than your 300 win mag in regular season. I'd tip my hat to you. BUT hy not just take a single shot mag?. It would NOT include shooting a buck I have been stalking (or waiting for) out from under me at 700 yards. I would really like the AZGFD to rethink muzzleloader season to make it side lock only AND to put someone in charge that can come up with rules that would disallow a .32 crockett in Bull season! Only requirement, (as far as I know) is a single projectile loaded from the muzzle. Perhaps a thoughtful addition would be a min caliber for truly large game. Javalina is considered large game and a .32 crockett is all you need. A bull elk can be killed with it but how long do we allow for the animal to pass? 2 days, 3? Yer not gonna recover the meat. They plan on the public using common sense LOLOLOL ththat's good one. Folks out still are still taking "sound shots" for gawds sake.

SEPARATE MODERN AND TRADITIONAL. Who couldn't kill a buck/bull at 700 yards with a 15K set up? Like I said just take the .300 mag, you deserve to be laughed at if you say you killed trophy bull with a muzzleloader. AT 700 YARDS! I killed one at 180 and am ashamed I even took the shot (young n dumb era). Not including folks like Idaho Ron who spends countless hour paper patching and doing his homework. I mean the typical Joe with "minute of deer" sight-in standards. Mine go away at just about a 4" group at 100 yds or worse.

I wouldn't even whine (much) if they went flintlock and roundball only like PA. Or at least offer a TRULY primitive traditional hunt in addition to the muzzleloader free for all they have now. RANT OVER, sabot up!

And no, I have no issue with peeps and 1x scopes for the TRULY vison impaired (of which I will likely soon be). But, No, not a 36X 700 yards set up in TRADIONAL MUZZLELOADER SEASON.

Last edited:
From October 2023

Idaho Fish and Game is seeking public input on a proposed rule change that would allow projectiles made of metal or metal alloy, and with accuracy tips and pressure bases, to be used in hunting seasons designated as “muzzleloader only.”

This would be a change to the existing rule that only allows a patched round ball or conical non-jacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. This rulemaking was initiated in response to hunter requests to address the decreasing availability of lead-only projectiles for muzzleloaders and the increased availability of other metal projectiles.

Let me ask you, is there really a problem finding lead roundballs or conical bullets? This is the kind of "road apple" stuff they come up with. I don't know if the regulation change passed.
Yea, I'd call BS on that one. We have to use lead free in CA and it's sometimes tough to find a lead free projectile if you have anything traditional. I have to mail order conicals and I cast my own Bi alloy round ball just to make sure I have a ready supply. About the only thing you'll find in most big-box retail stores for MLs are various sabots. That's fine for fast-twist guns but try those with a 1:66 and I'll wager that few will shoot them well. But there's always a ready-supply of lead projectiles to choose from at those same stores. I've never shopped ML stuff in ID but I can't imagine it being much different.

I'm guessing it's a false argument being used to usher in an eventual lead ban. That's pure speculation on my part. But the argument seems absurd to me.

Been hunting BP here in AZ over 45 years. There is no "traditional long range muzzleloader". You say you like traditional and modern? DO NOT COMBINE THEM. Traditional + sportsmanship could be taking your Knight and $1,200.00 range finding scope to field rather than your 300 win mag in regular season. I'd tip my hat to you. BUT hy not just take a single shot mag?. It would NOT include shooting a buck I have been stalking (or waiting for) out from under me at 700 yards. I would really like the AZGFD to rethink muzzleloader season to make it side lock only AND to put someone in charge that can come up with rules that would disallow a .32 crockett in Bull season! Only requirement, (as far as I know) is a single projectile loaded from the muzzle. Perhaps a thoughtful addition would be a min caliber for truly large game. Javalina is considered large game and a .32 crockett is all you need. A bull elk can be killed with it but how long do we allow for the animal to pass? 2 days, 3? Yer not gonna recover the meat. They plan on the public using common sense LOLOLOL ththat's good one. Folks out still are still taking "sound shots" for gawds sake.

SEPARATE MODERN AND TRADITIONAL. Who couldn't kill a buck/bull at 700 yards with a 15K set up? Like I said just take the .300 mag, you deserve to be laughed at if you say you killed trophy bull with a muzzleloader. AT 700 YARDS! I killed one at 180 and am ashamed I even took the shot (young n dumb era). Not including folks like Idaho Ron who spends countless hour paper patching and doing his homework. I mean the typical Joe with "minute of deer" sight-in standards. Mine go away at just about a 4" group at 100 yds or worse.

I wouldn't even whine (much) if they went flintlock and roundball only like PA. Or at least offer a TRULY primitive traditional hunt in addition to the muzzleloader free for all they have now. RANT OVER, sabot up!

And no, I have no issue with peeps and 1x scopes for the TRULY vison impaired (of which I will likely soon be). But, No, not a 36X 700 yards set up in TRADIONAL MUZZLELOADER SEASON.
The "my way or the highway" ethos that so many in the hunting community are so quick to embrace is the reason why eventually all of our hunting rights will be stripped away, could not disagree with you more.

"This just in"....... archery only ellk taken at 527 yard with hydraulic pheumatic long bow. Lucky Hunter breaks Dan boones record, says he's lucky to have kilt it as the 0il in his lower bow limb started leaking during set up for the shot, which was nearly ruined by an old codger with an ancient Hoyt attempting to sneak, lolol, (kinda like stalk as they did eons ago for you older readers), to within 40 yards for a shot like his forefathers used to try. When pressed about another hunter being so close to his trophy he commented how some hunters ruin it all by trying to do such easy tasks as get close to game and takes it with relics. If he wins the big bull contest Hunter will use the award money to get a new gps laser site for his hydraulic pneumatic long bow and try to take a world record ARCHERY ONLY bull next year. Says all he will need after he gets the gps laser site is a 2 mile field to practice with and 12 new balls of hay to slow down his $235.00 electronic arrows. Tune in later for more from "Anything goes " reporting your outdoor adventures as they should be, not as they once were.

I like to think of traditional as what the people were using that founded our country . Really care what they were using before they came to America. And maybe a little while after since I like half stock cap guns too 😉

Back