• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Utah Traditional Muzzleloaders Need Your Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
"Utah Wildlife Board" will be meeting in the short future and one item on their agenda will be a "Restricted Muzzleloader Hunt". Right now during the ML Hunt you can hunt deer and elk with is anything that stuff from the front of the gun with high power scopes and anything else like shotgun primers, BH209 powder, etc. Previous boards have eroded this hunt to a non-repairable ML hunt, but now they are considering a "Restricted ML Hunt" for the traditionalists. This hunt would remove scopes, and would include restrictions on powder, percussion caps, open ignition. in other words only those gun we can discuss on this forum. Again they seems to be dragging their feet with more input from hunters.
I am asking for your support to E-Mail one or all of the "Utah Wildlife Board Members" and ask them to please add a "Restricted Muzzleloader Hunt" in Utah for the hunting of big game. If you Google "Utah Wildlife Board Member List" a full listing will show their name, address, and an E-Mail address of each member. They are meeting this next couple of months. Lets help keep traditional muzzleloading alive in Utah so please send an E-Mail.

Thanks in advance for your action and support

Cannonball

Will the new Restricted muzzle loader season rob Peter to pay for Paul's Unrestricted muzzle loader season?

Will this be an entirely new and separate season?

What is an Open Ignition firearm?

Will the new Restricted muzzle loader season rob Peter to pay for Paul's Unrestricted muzzle loader season?

Will this be an entirely new and separate season?

What is an Open Ignition firearm?
1. Probably, 2. Yes. 3. exposed hammer and nipple

Your fints are ok. I forgot to include. Here is how it reads from their site:

Muzzleloader: A muzzleloader may be used for a restricted muzzleloader hunt if it meets all of the following specifications: It must be equipped only with a flint percussion cap or a musket cap. It must be equipped with an ignition system in which the entire cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire. It must be free of any electronic devices, and it must have only open sights or peep sights.

Has this meeting happened yet? I'm just now seeing this thread. I live in UT and didn't realize they were considering a traditional ML season. That is exciting and I'll email my input

Sidenote, if anyone here lives or hunts in Utah and is interested in discussing the hunting regs and seasons, there is generally good discussion that happens on the utahwildlife.net forum

It is not called a traditional ML hunt because archery is included, It is called Restricted Hunts, but it amounts the same thing. After reading about it and voicing my support, everything went quiet. Hope it will happen.

It is not called a traditional ML hunt because archery is included, It is called Restricted Hunts, but it amounts the same thing. After reading about it and voicing my support, everything went quiet. Hope it will happen.
Will bows be restricted to traditional type? If notmuzzies should be able to use any non magnifying sighting device. M agnifying scopes were available at least as early as 1830s. but still not traditiona!
I am all in favor of bowhunting ,just not with pulleys wheels etc. Hardly traditional.

• Archery: Archery equipment may be used for a restricted archery hunt if it meets all the following specifications: The bow must be a single-stringed recurve or a longbow. It must not have sights or any cables, pulleys, cams or attached electronic devices. And it must have a draw weight of 40 pounds or more. Restricted archery permits may not be used on an extended archery hunt.
  • Muzzleloader: A muzzleloader may be used for a restricted muzzleloader hunt if it meets all of the following specifications: It must be equipped only with a flint percussion cap or a musket cap. It must be equipped with an ignition system in which the entire cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire. It must be free of any electronic devices, and it must have only open sights or peep sights.
  • Any weapon (rifle): A rifle may be used for a restricted any weapon hunt if it meets all of the following specifications: It must have only open sights or peep sights. It must be free of any electronic devices, and it cannot be a semi-automatic rifle.

Last fall the Utah Wildlife Board tabled the Restricted Weapon proposal. I understand it is now soon going to be under discussion again for the 2024 hunts. Utahns need your support to help keeping traditional muzzleloading alive in Utah. Please help us by E-Mailing the new Wildlife Board Chair, Randy Dearth, at [email protected], showing your support for a change on the muzzleloader deer hunt to restrict the ML weapons, and ask that he passes on your information of support to the other members of the board. Thanks in advance for those of you that help us out West.

Back