• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Mexico iron sights regulation.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We did it right in Pennsylvania when we introduced a Flintlock only primitive season. They did manage to get inline rifles in the early season but so far have left the late muzzle loading season, "flintlock only". They try every year to get inline's in that late season but so far the Game Commission hasn't given in. I am sure there is some fool out there trying to figure out how to develop an inline flintlock --- good luck with that !!!!

I understand getting old and not being able to do the things I used to do, but changing rules to accommodate those who can't (or those who just don't want to) really makes no sense to me.

Muzzleloader Season was established for those who shoot muzzleloaders. Bow Season was established for those who hunt with bows. Unmentionable Season is for those who hunt with unmentionables.

If they want to open a new season for Abominations then so be it, they should not however infringe on Muzzleloaders just as muzzleloaders should not infringe on primative bow hunters.
A Muzzleloader does not want an Abomination shooting over their head from two or three hundred yards after they just spend a day or two tracking their game and getting in close enough to take the shot any more then a bow hunter wants a Muzzleloader, using a scope, to blast over his head just as he draws and prepares to shoot.

Yes, getting old sucks. But we can not open 'Horse/foot Only Access' to ATVs because old people can no longer handle the walk or ride a horse. We can not open Bike Lanes to cars because old people can not ride bikes anymore.

Look what has happened to so many Reenactments these days (especially in the west); they are now free for all 'fantasy festivals'.
If we keep changing the rules for those who no longer can, and those who simply won't, then we wake up one day and it No Longer Is.
New people have no rules, no insensitive; Anything Goes.

Saying that "scopes are not allowed during Muzzleloader Season" is Not 'government regulation infringing on one's rights to be free'; if that is so then realise the Abominations and Unmentionables too - No Rules, No Regulations, Free For All, Let Anarchy Rule!

Yes; Seasins, Rules, Regulations are set for a purpose. Not everyone can play at will, and as we grow old we have realize that one day we have to stay home, let the younger generation enjoy and have their time, to make their memories.

I have no horse in this race; I have scopes, I can so far still use my iron sights (I have only iron sights on my unmentionables too), but I can no longer hike to woods and navigate the streams, I can no longer sleep in the ground....those I now have to leave to the youngers, not change rules to accommodate myself and therfore not encourage the younger new comers to Experiance and Learn.

I know many can care less about Preserving the Old Ways. To them a muzzleloader is just a passing fancy, a novelty, sometimes an inconvenience.
But places like this Forum, and specialized Hunting Seasons, and 'themed' Events are set with Preservation in mind; when those 'Rules' and 'Regulations' are ignored or allowed to be abolished...so does the heart and soul of old ways that we seek to preserve.

'The memories of an old man are the deeds of a man in his prime'
- Pink Floyd

A very long thought out response & I agree getting old brings difficulties . Ime got old I was young & was very involved with' primitive' events of all kinds my' work' took me to more events that one would ever want to poke a stick at .viz Easterns, Mid west ,Westerns,' N' Easterns a multitude of little ones like the ' Wheres Joey'?"Napolionic .1812,Civil wars (Anybodies going )even Pensic SCA 'F& I 'Revolt war' gun shows ' NZ '.Alberta to Waterloo. and in hunting was Allways' primitive' if not necessarily attired as such but the guns & the camps where .
I roadied with various traders had no car but hitched & rode freight as it suited ide do three weeks in a string and never go porky .I still hunt primitive only not as long and much steadier as due to this global warming the hills are getting steeper than they used to be . .So I do sympathize with you . Now the young are less related to doing events or shooting much remotly primitive .Changing World but I think we had the best of it .
Regards Rudyard

It wasn't really 'long thought out', it just rolled out using common sense.
I have lived and watched the fall of reenactment on the west coast, I have watched as 'visitor' attendance fell (you know, those plain clothed folk who bring their families, and their Wallets). I have watched as annual events gradually fell to nothing more then 'groupie camp outs' lacking the large crowds they once grew. I have been approached by 'Joe Public' and asked "What is this? Where is the Event that was advertised?". I was asked by one couple "What has happened, we have come every year and enjoyed the event, but it's not what it used to be?".
And not just that. I have had local business owners ask me what happened, where are the reenactors today?
And for the Maritime Museums that of late have turned backs on the 'pirate folk'; I have word first hand from one of the museum employees: they liked us when we were 'History Oriented' but have grown weary of all the new peoples' "Dress in what makes you FEEL good' and fantasy stuff.

Just this week someone posted photos from the Las Vegas "Renaissance Age of Chivalry" festival.
I commented "Wow, is that how people dressed in the 14th & 15th century??"
I was told "Its Fantasy Festival"
I replied "Then why is it literally called Renaissance Age of Chivalry?"
I was told "It USED to be Renaissance but things have changed and now its fantasy"

?????
No wonder I so NO crowd of families and paying customers in the background of any of the photos posted by several different people....it did not 'use' to be like that.

Yes, times have changed. Now today people join the Muzzleloader community and ask: "Where is the powder? Where are caps? Where can I shoot?"
They heard the stories of the good days and came to join....well, some of them.

In my opinion that entire line of inline "black powder" rifles is terrible. All it was designed to do was take a primitive powder and use it as a propellant in an otherwise modern firearm. It is a clear work around so people can double their hunting time from BP into rifle season. If there is a muzzleloader season it should be traditional only. Once rifle season starts then these inline people can join the conga line because there is nothing traditional about them other than the propellant if that because most use Pyrodex.

Latest posts

Back